PDA

View Full Version : Weird Head sensations and Panic

sadie
18-05-05, 22:12
Hi all,

I havent been on the forum for a while and I was wondering if you guys could help me out. I have had some weird head sensations today and feel pretty worried about them.

I was at work today and had my normal 'daily headache' and never thought too much about it. Anyway out of the blue I got a weird burning sensation in my head. It was kind of like there was something burning running through my head. I started to feel really dizzy/lightheaded and had blurred vision. This only lasted a few seconds and then passed. Obvioulsy I got quite anxious and I honestly thought that soemthing was going to happen... like I would collapse or something. I never obviously as I am still here to tell the tale but I am wondering what it was.

I do have a history of headaches and I have had a MRI last year which was 'normal'. I have been diagnosed with TMJ (jaw problems) and I am getting a splint tomorrow to help this problem. I am not sure if all these symptoms are to do with my jaw or if there is something more sinister going on.... Just to add to this, I have been getting weird sensations in my mouth lately too.. as if the side of my mouth is swolen or something... I dont know how else to describe this sensation but it too passes and is on the side of my jaw problems.

I also have been experiencing a lot of horrible tastes in my mouth which sometimes can last all day and other times not. I am not sure if these tastes really have anything to do with my headaches as I always have a a headache. I have worried myself over these last 5 months about epilepsy, due to the tastes in my mouth but my GP says I am worrying about this unnecessary as I dont have the symptoms of this....

I have just felt lately that I am going bad to worse. I have had palpitations again and missing heart beats etc which I thought I had managed to deal with. I feel the worrying thoughts are 'controling' me and not the other way around and I really do not know what else to do to bring myself out of this.

I cant remember I time when I felt 'normal' and when I felt healthy and not unwell all the time. I just feel thats all I say everyday now... I feel so weird or in pain somewhere.

I know you all will understand me how I am feeling and how worrying about your health becomes like an addiction.... If there is any words of advice that would help, I would really appreciate it.

thanks

sadie

florence
18-05-05, 22:26
Hi Sadie

Nice to see you again, I was thinking of you lately and wondered how you were.
Sorry to hear you're having a bad time...I can't really relate to what you felt today , but I deeply hope that its nothing serious and that you'll feel better soon.
Take care.
Florence.

**Don't believe everything you think .**

sadie
18-05-05, 22:53
Hi Florence,

Thanks for the reply and I hope to that its nothing too worry about either. How have you been lately?

sadie

florence
18-05-05, 23:01
Hiya

Ups and downs, but improved a lot since I became a member. You still cant make it in the chat room?

Florence.

P.S: I have also weird sensations in my mouth, tongue mainly [xx(], its anxiety related i am sure. The taste you get in your mouth , is it kinda metallic taste?

sadie
18-05-05, 23:05
Florence,

I am glad that you have improved and feeling a bit better... its such hard work trying to feel 'normal' isnt it?

As for the tastes, I am not sure if is metallic taste to be honest. It probably is but all I know is it awful and makes me feel sick and seems to be here all the time.

sadie

florence
18-05-05, 23:17
Hi

Thanks... yes i agree , it is difficult.
I have had some symptoms for months & months before and believed that they would never go away , the feeling in my mouth is one of them, seemed to be 24/7... and its driving you crackers!!!!
But it does go away after a while, and i am sure it will go away for you too. Are you going to see gp about what happened today?
Florence.x

Jwonka
18-05-05, 23:17
hiya sadie, when i first started with anixety i to used to get blurred vision i call them my 'funny eyes', i went to get my eyes tested all ok and then i went to my docs and the first thing he said was anixety attacks, i don't get them anymore just other anixety symptoms but they were my scareyest -can'nt spell it! and i to have that melltic taste in my mouth but don'nt know what it is xxx jwonka:D

sadie
18-05-05, 23:27
Florence- I know what you mean about having symptoms for months and months. Thats what its been like for me too, particuarly the mouth tastes and headaches. I feel like my anxiety symptoms kind of go round in circles with all my different symptoms. I can have chest pains, then dizziness or nausea and headaches and then the cycle starts again etc... they just keep going round and round all the time. As for seeing my GP, I am not sure to be honest as I really dont think there is anything they can do for me unless I drop down or something. I have to wait nd see how my splint works with my headaches and then maybe go back if that doesnt work. Thanks for the chat.

Jwonka - I understand completely what you mean about the blurred vision - I get it on and off too. It doesnt worry me too much though. As for the funny tastes, god only knows whats causing that. I dont think its an anxiety symptom but more likely a sinus or allergy symptom....

Thanks for the replies.

sadie

florence
18-05-05, 23:45
Hi

Let us know how you get on the following days, sorry to hear again that you have bad moment. Hope you'll feel better soon.
Take care.
Florence.

Hemaluta
19-05-05, 06:53
Hi Sadie,
I also have tmj and am going to see the maxio facial people about it, its really worrying me because i keep getting plugged ears and tinnitus and my jaw is always cracking, can you tell me if you get similar symptoms? im really worried its not tmj after all and that its something alot worse, as for the metallic taste, i get it all the time,
look forward to hearing from you, take care x

Angie

linjane
19-05-05, 07:08
Hi Sadie,
I can totally understand what you've been going through and relate to it. Not so much the symptoms, but the vicious cycle. Once you start worrying about something it just escalates into something much worse. I do suffer with the missed beats, and have done for three years and like you sometimes I think I can deal with them and then WHAM they scare me again.

Its all the anxiety and its horrible.[V]

Do you do any types of relaxation? I have a relaxation CD that I when I do regularly (being the operative word, lol) I do tend to feel better also have been trying chinese herbal remedies as docs are generally a waste of time for 'us'.

Hope you feel better soon.
Take care,
Linda.x

sadie
19-05-05, 08:34
Angie - your symptoms definetly sound like TMJ as I too have jaw cracking/popping, ear aches, tinnitus, blocked ears, nausea, dizziness headaches, neck and shoulder strain, facial pain..... the list goes on and on. I woudl definetly go and speak to the doctors who deal with this problem as you may get a splint like me that should help. Your symptoms dont sound like anything else more sinsiter.

Linda - the missed beats just seem to catch me be surprise thats all and come when I am not expecting them. I havent had another one since saturday, so maybe that will be it for a little while longer... As for relaxation, I do try deep breathing and visualisation but I feel it doesnt always work, especially when I am on a busy train on my way to work.

Thanks for the replies.

sadie

lainey
19-05-05, 09:29
Hi Sadie

Just to reassure you I have had the head burning too, in fact the one day it spread to the whole of my body and I had to come home from work. It's just another symptom I'm sorry to say. New symptoms seem to appear from nowhere don't they.
Hope you are feeling better today.

Take care

Elaine x

jill
19-05-05, 09:40
Hi Sadie,

I had the horrible taste in my mouth for a long time. I posted on hear but know one had that symptom. A friend of my sisters went back and forth to hospital with the same thing, they never found anything. She said that because she was unhappy with her job she packed it in and the symptom just went. This was not enough for me I needed more information, went on the google put in a search, put 2 and 2 together and came up with 5, ( epilepsy ) Again I went in search and found a book on PA,s. A man discribed it as he could smell and taste fear.[:O]
This site has tought me sooo much and is true it its name because I have
NoMorePanic. In time all the symptoms of anxiaty became less and less so did this symptom. I do not have it anymore.
Hope this helps Sadie.

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILLXX

sadie
19-05-05, 09:47
Elaine - its good to know that I am not alone with these symptoms. I am feeling ok at the moment. I am off work in the morning as I have an appt to get my splint today so I have a little time to come on the forum. Thanks so much for the reassurance.

Jill - I too did a 'google' search and thats what kept coming up for me to (epilepsy) and Its frightened the life out of me. I have also been to my gP several times with the tatse issues and he said its just a post nasal drip or sinus problems!!! I have had it for 5 months now and it drives me mad. Anyway, have you read then that anxiety can cause these tastes?

Thanks again for the replies.

sadie

Meg
19-05-05, 11:16
Sadie,

Take your relaxation CD on the train with you to regulate your breathing.

You do not have epilepsy.

Glad you're getting your guard today. I really hope it helps

Love Meg

jill
19-05-05, 11:17
Hi Sadie,

No I have not read that anxiaty can cause this symptom, just that the man could taste and smell fear.
My hubbly had sinus problems and said he had same symptoms.
I did put this symptom down to anxity and it has gone.
This was the one symptom I did not understand and now that I am alot better I have told myself that if this sympom returns I will see my GP.
What I do know is that when I was having alot of PA's and high anxiaty and living in fear day and night this symptom was at it's worse. It would be there all the time. I could be doing anything and I would feel a rush and it would get even stronger.
It is a symptom I still don't understand because it has gone.
Maybe I too have sinus problem and the PA's and anxiaty made it worse.
I take comfort in knowing that if it is my sinus it can be treated.
Did your GP give you anything for the problem?

You are going through such a hard time at the moment and my heart goes out to you. I wish I could find the right words to make you feel better. I suffer SA, not sure why but I find it very hard to relpy to post,
scared in case I hurt someone's feelings:( Thats the next thing I need to deal with. [^]
Take comfort in knowing that there is an end to all this, as I have said since finding this site I am alot better. It takes time and alot of hard work but it CAN be done.

TAKE CARE

WISHING YOU WELL

LOVE JILLXXX

sadie
19-05-05, 20:44
Meg - thanks for the reply. I have got my guard today and its not the most comfortable thing in the world but I will need to give it a chance. Anyway tonight I tried it on to show Peter, I only had it on for a minute or so. but whe eating my dinner tonight my tooth broke and I wondering if this had some thing to do with this guard??? I wasnt eating anything hard and I must have swollowed my tooth.. is that ok???

Jill - I think that is whats causing these tastes as I do have nose and check pain and a lot of pressure and I do keep getting blocked up etc... Thanks so much for the reply, you were very helpful. I hope you are well too.

Many thanks

sadie

Gareth
20-05-05, 12:13
Hi Sadie,

The weird head sensations - these I can relate to and are definitely the anxiety. I get the "head zaps" and I know how horrible they can feel. I get a sensation of pressure at various points in my head as well, and numbness. Don't worry, its just the anxiety playing its tricks.

I just try to think of everything up there as linked. Especially if you grind your teeth / have jaw tension, you will eventually feel funny sensations in your head as the muscles are all linked and will respond eventually to the tension.

When you get a sensation, say to yourself "its OK, its not harmful, it is passing now" and it will pass.

all the best
Gareth

sadie
20-05-05, 23:15
Hi Gareth,

Cheers for the advice and support.... Its easy to look at things from a more calm and logical perspective when the panic and symptoms have passed isn't it. I know though that the only way to stop them is simply lose the fear of them. If only this was the easy part.

Thanks again

sadie

wiskersonkittens
24-08-08, 03:21
What you are experiencing is anxiety related. I have gotten burning sensations in my head and I went to the hospital because it freaked me out -- diagnosis: anxiety. If you haven't already, check out www.anxietycentre.com (http://www.anxietycentre.com). That website has a comprehensive list of anxiety symptoms that you may find reassuring. My best to you! Wiskers

2dolphin7
11-04-10, 20:59
Hi,
Whats TMJ? .... I have been having really bad headaches for mths now almost everyday, I get sudden sharp pains that last about 10 - 30 mins I'd say and they can be anywhere on my head, I get dizziness and sickness, I also get popping ears, tinitus, and crackling what seems in my jaw hinge that attaches near the ear ... I am on tablets from the docs for the headaches but don't work 100% .... am being referred to physio for my neck to see if that helps as have had whiplash a few times.
Jo