PDA

View Full Version : Appendicitis or ibs

chriscml
06-09-08, 09:32
i been docters about my adormal pain n they said that i have ibs didnt have any test so cause i have not had any teat im worring i have Appendicitis.the symptoms i get is passing wind going the toilet abit more and lose and some times hard do push and addormal pain witch comes and goes like every two weeks and hurts wen i tutch it sometimes,it been like this for about 3 mothes now.so wat u think do u think i have Appendicitis or ibs?

Horse
06-09-08, 10:49
Chris.

Know where you're coming from on this one.

I reckon out of all the symptoms I've had over the years linked to Anxiety, my stomach seems to be on the top of the list.

Over the past week I've been to A and E twice with stomach discomfort. After having the usual proding and poking (and yes it is painfull) I then had blood tests and xray.

The result was negative on everything apart from the fact that xray showed up constipation.........which was news to me! Apparently, even if you 'go' everyday, you can still be constipated.

Symptoms were, bloatedness, nausea, gas, feeling as if all the stomach muscles were twisted or pulled and a knawing ache just below the right rib. Movement was difficult, even walking, being as we use our stomach muscles for nearly everything.

However, I was assured that it was not Gallstones or anything else sinister, and told to take Lactolose as a laxative, drink plenty of water etc.

Here we have a bit of a Catch 22 situation. The nausea makes our appetite virtually non existant so therefore if nothing is going in, no much is going to come out!

After 3 days I was back at A and E again with no change in the symptoms. This time I was examined again..........poke out your tonue, let me look in you eyes, stethescope to chest, back and stomach. Another blood test to check for anything rare that may have been missed before and a urine test to rule out bladder infection. Results..............ZERO! Continue with the laxative, with I might add, no results.

Although my symptoms are slighty improved, I am still in some discomfort.The fact is, I believe that although my xray showed constipation......admittedly anything nasty would have showed up in the blood tests, I also believe that a large majority of this is Psychological and a result of Anxiety. Stress I believe can attribute to constipation which in turn causes more stress.

Chris, I think your problem is more or less typical IBS rather than Appendicitis. I think after 3 months, if it were appendicitis you would have know it by now.

If you read some of the posts on here you will discover that a lot of sufferers have symptoms for months before they disappear or substitute into another symptom. Your constant worrying about your stomach although natural is causing more stress and Anxiety which is feeding them both therefore escalating the problem.

Why don't you go back to the docs and say you would like a bloodtest just to put your mind at rest. Falling that, take yourself off to A and E. That's what the NHS is for.

Take care.

Kevin.

chriscml
06-09-08, 10:57
what u meen more or less typical ibs

london
06-09-08, 12:50
Appendicitis dont last weeks dont worry

Horse
06-09-08, 12:57
Chris,
What I mean is..........I'm not a Medical Doctor, therefore, my opinion is more or less, the chances are, probably, more than likely, every possiblity of being IBS.
Don't worry.

Kevin.

chriscml
06-09-08, 20:01
thanks horse

Janieb
06-09-08, 22:40
Oh man you KNOW when you have Appendicitis! You would be seriously doubled over in pain and throwing up everywhere. The pain is constant and it is bad. I have had my appendix removed and know a lot of people who have been sucessfully treated for appendacitis (sp)

The doctors can actually tell as to where the pain is and if you push that spot you will go through the roof in pain, the pain is actually on the opposite side to your appendix :wacko: (so I have been told and that is what I experianced). So I am thinking you may be more likely to suffer from IBS with some of the symptoms you have discribed.

If it gets progressivly worse demand a second opionion you paying the money at the end of the day you need to know what is wrong even if it is IBS so you can take the right course of action to solve it.