PDA

View Full Version : Hi Everyone

Badass Chick
19-05-05, 12:44
This is the first time I've ever been on an Internet forum, but I found nomorepanic through a search engine and was so relieved to hear that there were people just like me.
I've had depression, anxiety, stress and panic attacks in various degrees since I was 13, I'm now 25.
I've also had a phobia about travelling, i.e travelling by car, train, bus, coach, etc (I don't know if that has a scientific name!) for the last 4 years, it all started when I had a panic attack on a coach, the panic attack had nothing to do with being on the coach itself, but subconsciencously I must have made that connection. I'm flying to Spain next Friday and feel absolutely petrified.
I get general social anxiety quite regularly also, which often stops me from going out. I feel that fear has punctuated my life up to this point and I just don't want to be held back by it anymore.
Anyway, I think that's enough for now. It's been great to read all of your stories and realise that I'm not the only one x

Badass Chick ;)

Johnny
19-05-05, 13:02
Welcome !

Spain Eh? - sounds cool.
Firstly, you want to go, right ?
Then keep thinking that - you want to have a nice calm trip to Spain.
Everytime Mr Panic tells you anything else just repeat it !
Keep positive, banish the negative and keep us posted - there's loads of good stuff and people here to help !
I've made 4 trips, alone, from Bristol to the West coast of Canada to visit friends - I hated (being positive!) all that stuff you hate, and I'm still alive.
I started hypnotherapy today - hopefully I'll be able to recommend it with confidence soon !

Johnny.

kirgray
19-05-05, 14:09
Hi!!

Ive had panic attacks since school Im now 26, 27 next monday yikes!!!!Youve taken the first step of wanting to sort it out and that in itself is a very brave move well done and Im the same Im going to Greece in 2 wks and am cacking my pants!!!LOL but think of the tan the beaches the sexy men ha ha!!PM me if you want a chat. Take care

Kirsty X

jill
19-05-05, 14:36
Hi :D

WELCOME TO THE SITE

LOVE JILLXXX

pinkscrumpy
19-05-05, 15:07
hi

welcome aboard

MANDIE XX

Meg
19-05-05, 15:20
Hi,

Welcome.

**panic attack had nothing to do with being on the coach itself, but subconsciencously I must have made that connection**

Yes we make those connections quickly all leading to a more limited lifestyle . When you come back really try to make progress on these issues so it becomes less of a trauma next time.

I hope the trip goes ok and you have a good holiday. You can make up an emergency pack to keep near you with rescue remedy , relaxation CD, lavender oil etc in it to help get you through the trip calmly.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

seh1980
19-05-05, 15:57
Welcome to the forum!! :D

buffybot
19-05-05, 20:08
Welcome [^]

Karen
19-05-05, 21:43
Hi

Welcome to the forum.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

EmmaJane
19-05-05, 22:29
Hi,

Welcome to the site

Feel free to PM me, if you want to talk.

Emma xx

Keep focused, keep positive.

henri
19-05-05, 23:30
hi there,
know what you mean about travelling, it freaks me out too. it might help you to take a 'comfort bag' like meg suggests, to help you stay calm and also to keep you distracted (magazines, ipod, whatever).
also, try and stop yourself from thinking negative thoughts about the trip in the run up to friday - i know it's easier said than done but...
henri x

tasha
20-05-05, 10:31
hi and welcome :)

I also have problems travelling (tho I managed the underground for the first time in 6 months yesterday!) and social phobia so I understand how you feel!

Good luck with flying to Spain next week :)

Emmie
20-05-05, 11:30
Hiya!
I'm 23 and I hate travelling too-im worst when im on my own-ive been getting taxis to work to stop me having to use the buses! Its costing me a fortune (lol) but i figure its better than staying in and letting it beat me totally!
It's excellent that you have booked this holiday so thats a really great step in trying to beat this. I understand how you feel- im going to Kos in September and nearer the time i will be shaking in my boots because i hated flying even before all this anxiety kicked in! But, we have to be determined to live the way we want to live and not the way we are made to feel by our anxiety. I hope you get all the support you need hun and have a brilliant holiday. You can make us all jealous with tales of sun, sea and sand when u get back!
Love Em xxx

tommy
22-05-05, 18:30
Welcome to the forum. You are definately not alone in how you feel. Remember that by getting through the flight you will get a massive buzz for doing it and it's another thing to chalk up on your success board. Please let us know how you got on. Best of luck Friday!

love Tommy x

lin
22-05-05, 18:33
Hi

Welcome to the forum u will find loads of great advice :D:D

linda x

sal
22-05-05, 22:31
Hi and welcome to the site.

You will get lots of help and support on here. Look forward to hearing more from you.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

kairen
23-05-05, 13:33
Hi and welcome

it is good when you find a site like this who understand,

i know how you feel im like that with flying i go away 1st june am trying really hard to be calm its working so far but when i get to the airport. LOl

good luck with your holiday, you have nothing to worry about (she says lol)

we will be both fine and laugh on here when we get back ok

take care

kairen x