PDA

View Full Version : getting in a mess!!!!! advice plx

nic x
07-09-08, 17:40
hi all, me again,well u might have read my thread on fri, bout pa while taking kids to school,well allday today iv dwelled on it, got myself in a rite mess coz tomorrow im having todo the same run again!!!!! its something iv got to do, and want to deep down but its scaring me so much. any tips on how to handle this please!!!!!! the doc did give me propronolol bout 4 weeks ago but iv never taken one yet, as hate the thought of side effects and i the leaflet!! any body take them, and do they help???

feels_like_home
07-09-08, 19:56
It is so hard to not think of the things that cause us anxiety. When I have to face something scary I try to keep as busy as I can before the event, situation etc. I know this isn't easy. I try to go for walks, talk to friends or family, clean. Pretty much anythng to take my mind off it. Then I face it one step at a time. For example today I went shopping and felt really tired, spaced out and faint. I thought there is no way I can go in there feeling like this. Instead of running away I said ok I will go in for a few min and leave ifI need to. After a few min I realized I wasn't going to pass out. I stayed a bit longer. Next thing I knew we were done shopping. I felt horrible the whole time, but realized nothing was going to happen. You can do this if you break it into managable chunks.
Take care.
Michelle

orangeblossom
07-09-08, 20:05
Hi - Just wanted to reassure you re: the propranolol. I have been taking this for the past year and they have helped me a lot. They don't change how you feel at all - in the sense, you don't have any 'haziness' or anything like that which is something I used to get with diazepam. Instead, they simply remove the pounding heart / sweaty palms / shaking etc... in fact, the physical symptoms of panic. You walk around getting on with whatever you want to be doing and wonder where the panic went!!

I usually take my tablet about one and a half hours before I go out to do whatever it is which gives the medication enough time to 'kick in' as it were and I can get on with things without having the awful physical panicking to deal with.

I made a massive, and I mean massive, breakthrough on Friday with my therapist - we went on the tube together - and for me, this was the first time in well over 4 years... It was incredibly hard, but the propranolol helped no end because I didn't physically 'feel' half as much panic as I usually do.

nic x
07-09-08, 20:27
Hi - Just wanted to reassure you re: the propranolol. I have been taking this for the past year and they have helped me a lot. They don't change how you feel at all - in the sense, you don't have any 'haziness' or anything like that which is something I used to get with diazepam. Instead, they simply remove the pounding heart / sweaty palms / shaking etc... in fact, the physical symptoms of panic. You walk around getting on with whatever you want to be doing and wonder where the panic went!!

I usually take my tablet about one and a half hours before I go out to do whatever it is which gives the medication enough time to 'kick in' as it were and I can get on with things without having the awful physical panicking to deal with.

I made a massive, and I mean massive, breakthrough on Friday with my therapist - we went on the tube together - and for me, this was the first time in well over 4 years... It was incredibly hard, but the propranolol helped no end because I didn't physically 'feel' half as much panic as I usually do.
thanks very much for ya advice, im really thinking about taking the beta blockers, but could u answer some of my questions please???? was your breathing ok when u took the beta blockers? i havnt asmatha or anything, but i am a smoker? but i just hate the thought of the breathing being slowed down??? this is just what iv read mind, so dont no if it really happens? and well done to u with the tube xxx:bighug1:

chelle_82
07-09-08, 21:14
Hi nic,
I don't have any advice I'm afraid but just wanted to wish you a safe and pa free journey tomorrow.

take care
Chelle xxx

nic x
08-09-08, 09:30
hi all, thanks for the replys, just thought id let u's no about my morning: well i had very little sleep all night with the worry!! i woke at 6.00, my partner was getting up forwork, i had to tell him how i felt, he was understanding so off he went to work, while i was being sick!!! i got kids up, feed n dressed, then my partner came back, he said come on ill help 2day, wat a releif!!! we took youngest, then set of to take eldest we just got through town centre and he said" im getting picked up here" oh no panic was imense, but i had to do it, so i got in the drivers seat and set of, sweating, shaking the lot, texted my mother to ring me asap, she didnt!! and guess what???? it just went, just like that!! i feel so much better for driving today!!! ( but still dreading 2morrow) lol xx

orangeblossom
08-09-08, 12:25
Well done!!!! That's completely brilliant!!

I'm SO SO happy for you!

You were anxious, but you did it - fantastic!

Tomorrow will be so much easier now that you've shown yourself that you can beat the anxiety and live to tell the tale!

Did you get my msg yesterday? Wasn't sure if I sent it too late!

titchjd
08-09-08, 12:28
Hiya m8 :D

sorry u had a bad start 2 the morning hun ...but congratulations on driving back ....thats brill...the more you do it m8 u will be ok ..xxxxxxx

spk l8r

Titchjd xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

titch
08-09-08, 12:53
hiya im just like u.. i was prescribed propranol about 3 months ago and just like you i got too scared to take it and too scared of the side affects.. in a way im glad i havn't took it because i am now just learing how to cope on my own.. you can do it too..pm me anytime if you need to talk..take care xx

feels_like_home
08-09-08, 17:59
That is great news. I know you felt horrible, but you did it.
Congrats!
Michelle

nic x
08-09-08, 19:32
hi all again, thanks for the messages, iv had a totally awful day, attack after attack, so i rang my gp, who said " why u not taking tne propanolol"? so i had a long chat with him, and he told me that im not a faliure for asking for help, iv took one now and feel anxious, but calmer xx

feels_like_home
09-09-08, 13:31
You are not a failure. You have to do what will make you feel better. I hope you are feeling better today.
Take care.
Michelle