PDA

View Full Version : Drugs

uryjm
29-11-03, 11:21
When I first started having panic attacks, I went to the GP who listened and started writing out a prescription for Valium, or the equivalent. I told him I'd rather not take them, and would prefer a couple of pints if I was feeling edgy. He left that decision up to me.
I've never taken drugs for anxiety because I think I believe anxiety is an emotion, mood or feeling. As such, I feel I can influence it through thoughts as opposed to chemicals, and would argue firmly that I've had success this way. When I read the posts about going on and coming off prescribed drugs, it seems to me they do little else than my "couple of pints" would. They work for a time, can break a cycle, but in the end the problem remains and has to be dealt with by yourself - unless you fancy a lifetime on Valium, Prozac or whatever the latest drug craze is. Am I wrong? Has anyone out there cured their anxiety through prescription?

Jim

Meg
29-11-03, 12:57
Hi Jim,

When acute panic or anxiety really hits hard 'out of the blue' and the person has no information and is scared ****less and despairing nad really not functioning at all, a medication can really help. Firstly to break the cycle and show them that this is not terminal , they are not totally crazy but also to give them space and a place to make changes that feels ok.

I do fully agree with you that medications are not a cure.

The latest is to prescribe them for longer now ie 18 months as the relapse rate was getting so high for shorter stints, giving time for many causes of depression/ anxiety to have passed and people will have moved on from the cause ie bereavement .

Do be careful with your advice 2 pints - really great for those who can control it I agree -but many so many alcoholics were anxiety in disguise who just started with an extra drink to relax.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

nomorepanic
29-11-03, 16:33
Jim

The last time I took anti-depressants (for any length of time) was nearly 6 years ago (Prozac) but I never felt they helped me atall. I still felt just as bad when I was on them so I decided there was little point in taking them atall. I did feel a bit worse for the first 2 weeks after stopping but then just felt no worse or no better.

I went on Cipramil for 3 weeks about 3 years ago for my sleep problems but they made me feel worse so I stopped them too.

I had had 9 months of CBT whilst on Prozac so I was doing both at once. I haven't had any further counselling since then either (again 6 years).

I agree with Meg in that the drugs are a "quick fix" to get some relief from the symptoms of anxiety(though some take a while to work) but unless you treat the underlying problems as well, then you could end up taking them for many many years.

Nicola

diana
29-11-03, 17:45
Hi all,

Good posts. I agree that the medication is just that "A QUICK FIX" till you find something that works for you, or atleast to take the edge off till you can cope. I myself do not take to a pint, I have family members who have as a result of anxiety, depression, and panic turned into alcoholics, and to this day drink basically on a daily basis. I know realisticly that is not the answer either. I do not want to spend my days in a stooper to wave off the anxiety/panic. I feel so very blessed to have found you all, I think if those family members of mine were computer literate and had the information and support that you all offer here. This alcoholism may not be a factor in their lives today. I am a new generation of the anxiety/panic/depression disorder in my family, I now look for information and "SKILLS" to help distinguish the feelings I get. For my family members, they have always used RX drugs, illegal drugs, alcohol, other peoples Rx`s etc. I do not want to take that route. I want to live and not have to feed myself a pill for everything I feel, see , and hear. With this forum I feel like that is actually an option now. Thanks for listening, and thanks for all the great advice and suggestions.

Love Diana xxxxxx

nomorepanic
29-11-03, 18:17
Hi Diana

At one point I used to drink far too much to try and cope with the anxiety and I know that you can so easily end up drinking every day to excess just to cope with life. Sorry to hear about your family members - my dad was an alcoholic and it killed him in the end so I do understand.

I have found so much info on this message forum - I just wish I had had this support many years ago and then I may not have "wasted" 10 years of my life suffering like I do. I am pleased that you feel it has helped you too.

Nicola

diana
29-11-03, 18:41
Hey Nicola,

Thanks for the sentiment. It is awful to watch my family members drown themselves in booze to face everyday and the emotions that may come about. I know it is what helps them make it through the day,I just wish they could have had this forum or something similar when theirs started. It is my uncle and his girlfriend, but I have lost an uncle to such abuse and we were so very close. It really hurts to think that this is the avenue that so many take to deal or cope with these very unwelcomed feelings. I am glad to hear that drinking did`nt take you down that long lonely highway, but I am sorry, so very sorry to know that you lost your dad to alcoholism. So true, I feel this very forum has been a literal life saver for me, it has given me soooo much hope and clarity to what I am really dealing with here. I still get anxious and panicky but atleast now I am able to control it, not let it control me!! Thanks to you all here, the support and self help advice you all give is "PRICELESS".

Thanks again,

Diana xxxx

nomorepanic
29-11-03, 18:59
Diana

Thanks for the kind words. It was 10 years ago that he died and I wonder if he had got help with his anxiety etc that he may not have the drink problem. We will never know now.

Sorry to hear about your uncle too :-( Must have been hard for you too.

Keep your chin up won't u?

xx

Nicola

benoo5
29-11-03, 19:24
hy all,

ive been studying,and learning all i could,about anxiety,depression,and panic..and although its still early days...i feel at the moment,that meg has already given everyone the key to recovery.

the correct medication,combined with CBT..bryan.

Meg
29-11-03, 20:01
Bryan , if only it were that easy !!! You've done really well in learning so much about it all and are a great help to us all in many ways. It's bit like choccaholics, you have to be one to know why people cannot just stop.

CBT and meds are proven to be the best way in the short term for the newly diagnosed person. The key is in finding the inner something to do all the rest. Meds should not continue very long term and it's the people who relapse that then need to be able to go it alone .

No meds or CBT will erradicate panic or anxiety on their own , it takes a complete shift in life practices and then some... as well as a huge mental effort that has to be really practiced ad nauseaum through much adversity and strife.

If can certainly be done , there are many ways to help yourself the secret is in finding the ones that click for you......and sticking to it. Changing the thought procesess is the hardest I think whilst combating the awful symptoms that are begging you not to do something.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Laurie28
01-12-03, 12:55
The thing about going to your doctors with anxiety/depression etc is that the doctors automatically start writing you a prescription for anti depressants/valium etc. I was too scared to take them and I didn't like the idea anyway. I think I am getting better myself but it is up to me and not a pill. I have also been lucky with the booze - because of my mother I have never been much of a drinker and it is scary to think I may have tried to 'drink' myself out of the problems I was having and still am having.

i would say however that if it helps someone to help themselves (I'm talking about pills here no alcohol)then why not!

Take Care
Lucky

Lottie32
01-12-03, 15:18
I have battled with my problems for years without the help of any medication. I was prescribed beta blockers and diazepan. I was too scared to take the diazepan, and only very infrequently take the beta blockers (the last time was in March). I keep telling myself that I will wait another 10 minutes, and then take one. When the ten minutes has passed, I then say I will wait another ten minutes! It works for me. (Just a shame I can't do the same with smoking - no will power!)

I am currently progressing nicely through CBT, and it has started to take effect, slowly but surely. On Saturday, I just decided to "pop" to the local city shopping, and was there two hours - unheard of last year!

However, I really feel I must disagree with Jim. If I had the option of SSRI's when I first started, I really feel that I would have "broken" the cycle, and could have maintained this with CBT.

It is extremely difficult to deal with problems without the aid of medication.

I would also like to point out that alcohol is a drug. Two pints a day getting close to the maximum safe limit per day, particularly if you go out at the weekend. Stopping drinking is a difficult to do as coming off drugs. Drinking is also harmful to your health if not carried out in moderation. Also, relying on two pints a day can lead to the same problems as taking medication. If you get dependant, it can bring on a panic attack if you are not able to "medicate" yourself with beer.

Fair enough if it works for you Jim, but I personally feel you are out of the frying pan and into the fire!

Not everybody suffers when they take medication. Obviously people are not going to bother to put a post on saying how great their drugs are. With the exception of the more light hearted forums on this site, the majority of the users share experiences and ask for advice on how to deal with problems, and therefore there are a large number of "this made me feel worse" messages.

However, many people (including some of my friends) have been greatly helped by taking medication, which in particular has improved their outlook on life, and helped to break the cycle.

Charlie

sarah
01-12-03, 16:40
Hiya Charlie

leading on from your post i just had to say my drugs are GREAT...lol

love Sarah
xxx

Lottie32
01-12-03, 16:55
Sarah

It's a case of horses for courses! My progress is so slow, I sometimes wonder about starting a course of medication. But then I think, I've come so far without that maybe I'll try a bit more without. (And if I ever loose it again, then I've got something to fall back on - but this isn't going to happen).

Charlie

Laurie28
01-12-03, 17:02
Charlie,

i think you are doing great without medication, your humour and lovely nature always shines through when you are posting. I know you will get through this as you have a great attitude to life in general

love
lucky

sarah
01-12-03, 17:30
Hiya charlie

You are absolutely right when you say 'horses for courses'! I was put on medication at the start and because i am in the pharmacy industry i wasnt too scared to take them. Having said that, dont know how i will feel coming off them so a bit miffed i took them in the first place.
Good for you not taking meds, you sound like you are doing great without them.
keep it up mate
love Sarah
xxx

diana
01-12-03, 20:27
Hi All,

I agree that for some, medication is necessary to get started on rationalizing this disorder. I know for myself, without the medication at those very hard times, I`m not sure what I would have done. I am thankful there is medication for those hard to bear times. However of course I think we all would rather be able to help ourselves without the start of any medication, but sometimes for some that is not very realistic. Kudos to those who have made it without the medication, I hope to someday be on my own in that area too. Thanks for listening.

Diana xxx

Lottie32
02-12-03, 12:02
Thanks for that Lucky

It's made my day. I think one of my problems has been confidence, and having the confidence to be me, and saying stuff it, this is who I am, take it or leave it (although I still don't take rejection well!)

Still maintain one of the big parts of this is your outlook. And crying gives you more frown lines than laughing, and i'm getting to that age where they are starting to show!

Charlie

Laurie28
02-12-03, 12:10
Confidence has never been my strong point whether it be looks, public speaking whatever!!

It think on this forum it is easier to be 'yourself' and it has been a laugh at times 'especially re farting machines/horses and piles' alot of the time it has really made my day

Lucky