PDA

View Full Version : Hi (Depression, Stress/Axiety - Citalopram and Propranolol)

vain sharp dad
08-09-08, 10:02
Hello,

I've been looking on here for a while, but I though it was time that I joined properly. This is my best attempt to explain where I am now:

In 1992, I dropped out of University because I couldn't cope - I felt lost, and alone. Fair enough, some might say - that's your usual homesickness. But this was more than that. It was primal, gut-wrenching pain and fear and it was not something I could live with. Like a quitter, I dropped out, went home and bummed around for a year before studying in my home town. I wrote it off as one of those things, and went on with my life.

Eight years later, I accepted a job offer which meant a change of career. This was just after I got married, moved house, and did all of the things which regularly turn up in lists of 'the most stressful things you can do in life'. About four weeks in, my brain seemed to snap. I was sitting in a chair at night, rocking like Arthur Fowler in East-Enders. I had nothing to say, every thought or action was emotionally painful, I was numb and hurting all at the same time. Clearly, I couldn't cope. Thank god, I was able to be released from my contract, AND go back to my old job. It could have been disastrous.

A few years later, I had become really down and withdrawn in the job which I had been in for some years. I saw my GP who offered me some pills, or some Cognitive Behavioural therapy. I took the CBT, and whilst it was interesting, I didn’t really feel that it had helped massively. But I felt OK at this point, so I just got on with my life. Later, I started to dislike my job even more - I HAD to get out, I thought, and took what seemed like a fantastic new job.

Fairly early on, it felt wrong - it wasn't what I thought it had said in the brochure. I worried that my mortgage and family were at risk because of the change I had made, I hated the work I was given, and the environment and culture I was in. I ended up taking many days off sick, and staying home under the pretext of working there. This was nothing like what had happened to me before, at least in terms of scale and impact. Waking up in the mornings I was retching – dry-heaving - and occasionally even vomiting. Throughout the day, I was bewildered. Dropping my daughter off at school, I wanted to cry all the time. I would go home at night and just sit crying. I felt like I was perpetually stuck in that stomach-wrenching moment just after you receive an incredible shock, I couldn't concentrate on anything, I didn't care about anything and I couldn't control the way I felt or acted. Again, I saw a GP, who this time prescribed me an SSRI, which I gladly accepted.

After some weeks, this did begin to have an effect, and I began to feel human again. Incredibly fortunately, I was able to change jobs again, and this one I loved - the people were great, the task was what I wanted to do, and it was near my home. I was through it all, in control and was human again.

What happened? Well the difficulties and stresses of getting stuff done in a large organisation took their toll on me after a particularly bad day, and suddenly I relapsed. I had the retching, the knotted stomach and all of the usual things, but at least this time without the crying and despair. SO, this time I soldiered on - people told me I looked ill, and I was going home early, but I struggled on.

Eventually this got very difficult, so I saw my GP again, and increased the dose of my SSRI. I was also offered Beta-Blockers, but did not take up this offer. After about a week, I felt quite a bit better. Eventually, I had a week off which I thought would help. Wrong. It just gave me a week in which sure, I relaxed and felt ok, but I was also subconsciously worrying about my return to work. Day one – it was back with a bang.

After about a week or so, I had a day when I just cracked up. I got an emergency appointment with my GP, and this time she prescribed propranolol. I'm hoping it is helping. I think there may be a calm, centred feel but I am snatching at any negative feeling and building it up. Looking for stress and anxiety is obviously causing it, but I hope (pray) that this will help me to lead a normal life for a bit. I've also been referred for more CBT, so we'll see.....

My theory is that when I feel insecure, out of my depth or just plain scared, my body has learned to descend into a 'flight' mode and is ready to run with a huge adrenalin rush. I'm pretty sure I am taking the edge off this with the drugs. Having, with hindsight been prone to this since I was at least 18, and having lived with what I call stress/anxiety pretty regularly for the last fourteen months, I realise that what I now need to do is learn to live with, and to control it, using whatever help I can get.

kellie
08-09-08, 10:18
Hiya, welcome to NMP its lovely to have you here

Veronica H
08-09-08, 19:54
Hi and welcome
I am on the same meds as you and they have about the same effect on me. I have to say though that the biggest boost to my feeling better, and getting some control of this came from reading Dr Claire Weekes book 'Self-Help For Your Nerves' published by Thorsons ISBN 978-0-7225-3155-6. This is available through the NMP shop. You can download Claire Weekes talks onto your Ipod through NMP too. (Free). You will not be sorry you bought this book as I think it will confirm your theory but also give you a very straight forward strategy to start desensitising your nerves. Like you, I now realise that I have always been anxious, but I can honestly say I only really fully understood it when I read this book. It is very comforting to know that this illness has a set trajectory and that our bodies will heal themselves if we do not keep adding worry and fear.
Take care
Veronica

nomorepanic
08-09-08, 22:21
Hi VSD

:welcome: aboard and lovely to see you here.

Hope we can be of some help.

pooh
08-09-08, 23:32
Hi there and welcome along to NMP

Pooh x

alexis
08-09-08, 23:59
Hi and welcome, Im sure you will find lots of new friends here.xxx

vain sharp dad
09-09-08, 11:11
Thanks - I'm waiting to see how the propranolol work. I think it's keeping the anxiety down (I had a bit of a wobble this morning with retching and stressing)

I'm half-waiting for the next bit of bad news to hit me and see how I react (when I "go" it's just like being stuck in the millisecond just after you've had a massive scare)

I've been on 40mg (20mg twice a day) since Thursday.

Moogue
09-09-08, 12:11
Thanks - I'm waiting to see how the propranolol work. I think it's keeping the anxiety down (I had a bit of a wobble this morning with retching and stressing)

I'm half-waiting for the next bit of bad news to hit me and see how I react (when I "go" it's just like being stuck in the millisecond just after you've had a massive scare)

Hey VSD - I know how you feel....life just keeps kicking, I hope the drugs work, I was on Citalopram myself for a while and it didn't agree with me....you need to stay in touch with the GP and change pills if they don't agree with you....this could even be an increese in your feelings of anxiety and stress.

However while they are working try to stop looking for the signs..... our friends and family find it hard to understand how we permenatly manage to turn "mole hill into mountain"....but they should walk a day in our shoes.

Big Hugs

xx Flic xx

milly jones
09-09-08, 16:23
:welcome: hi and a warm welcome to no more panic

hugs :bighug1:

milly xxx