PDA

View Full Version : An Intersting Paragraph Which May Help You

JasonB
08-09-08, 11:12
With regards to intrusive thoughts....

There may be a moral dimension to the response, for example: 'I am bad for having such thoughts and urges which I shouldnt be having.

Interpreting thoughts in this way has the effect of increasing the feelings of threat and responsibility, as you then try too hard to prevent yourself from having these 'harmful' thoughts.

Needless to say, it is not that you shouldn't be having such thoughts. On the contrary, as a human being you should be having such thoughts. You would be abnormal if you didn't have intrusive thoughts. The difference between you and others who do not have OCD is the meaning you attach to the intrusive thoughts, the frequency and distress associated with the thoughts, and the way in which you respond to them.

As many of us also suffer from anxiety and panic, I think that our sense of fear, and panic is a lot higher than those that "don't have OCD."

Which makes the thoughts a lot more disturbing, and hence we obsess over them, and they then become deep-rooted in our psyche.

But I think they can easily be stopped/reduced.

The first thing to do is realise that they are normal to have, but that we have no reason to worry. When we stop worrying, we stop thinking/having the thoughts.

A lot of what makes an intrusive thought obsessional, is our anxiety in the fact that it might return. Then.. when we feel anxious we try and prevent the thought... "Dont think that bad thing... :scared15:"

And by that point is too late. And its our anxiety that fuels intrusive thoughts. So don't work on trying to stop the thought. Work on the anxiety surrounding it.

Sometimes the thought will occur without anxiety. But then the key is to not react with anxiety. Because that set the wheels in motion to make the thought obsessional.

JasonB
08-09-08, 12:47
Yes, and its not a bad thing having strange thoughts. Everyone does.

We just need to leanr to worry about them less, and when they do arise, not panicking.

Then we reduce their intensity, and we don't need to worry about them in the future.

Like taking your foot off of the brake and accellerator, and just letting things roll to a stop.

Things will come back occasionally, and may cause a bit of a startle, but bring yourself back to the initial points that they are only thoughts, and everyone has them.

Wenjoy
08-09-08, 21:13
I agree and Claire weeks says - stop thinking "what if....." and start shouting "so what.....>" as in, so what if I feel panicky - nobody cares - stop worrying or you invite it to overwhelm you! Wenjoy x

NeedSerenity
14-09-08, 04:03
Hello, first off, I have to say thank God for this site because I felt so alone in this battle with OCD. I've had the worst intrusive thoughts (the complete worst), and felt so bad about them, that I have felt suicidal.

I thought OMG, what if I snap and "what if"...I have to fight to make myself not believe these thoughts. I need be reaffirmed that I am a person and these thoughts are not me.

It's so hard...and I can't believe I'm going through this...but I hope, I pray that I can overcome this and get back to loving and living life.

eveanna
08-10-08, 11:27
Hey there
I can completely understand what you are going through....I have had intrusive thoughts and extreme fears for two months now and have been suicidal too. They are very hard to handle as they are the worst also, and very scary to go through. I don't know if you get this, but I start to feel that "thought-action fusion" where i think i am seconds/moments away from doing something truly awful and that I might want to....then as soon as the panic goes away i think "of course that won't happen" - but then the spike comes up again and I am sure I am a terrible, demonic person - it is hell on wheels and I feel such awful shame. even though anyone who knew me sees me in such a lovely light I feel in an isolated place of pain all the time. good luck....together i am sure we can all beat this!!!!! :winks:
"overcoming ocd" by melanie fennel has helped me a lot....really recommend the read.:yahoo:

eveanna
08-10-08, 11:29
ps - a lovely senior member on this site said "just thoughts - not instructions" - heed to this and you'll be ok. exercise as much as you can and try to keep a journal in which you ONLY write your successes and not your failures - it will help you to focus on what you are achieving.... you'll get through this.