PDA

View Full Version : Social Phobia and Employment

TheQuietOne
08-09-08, 20:17
Hi to everyone thats reads this:),

I suffer from a Generalized Anxiety Disorder and Social Phobia.

Basically, I would like to know what sort of jobs those of you that suffer from Social Phobia, do??

I'm actually starting in a library tomorrow, its like a work placement thing, I feel a bit embarrassed about going on a work placement at 30 years of age, but I just want to try a few different things before I start applying for jobs.

I was at college, or I should say I'm still at college, but to cut a long story short, the class sizes are huge this year, so it doesn't look like I will be continuing.

jadeybags
09-09-08, 09:28
Well, i am currently trying to get a job, now the kids are a bit older, and i'm dreading it. I used to do housekeeping in a hotel. I could see me doing that again, because you work on your own a fair bit cleaning your allocated rooms.
I applied on line for a job like that near me, but ive not heard back yet. Other than that i dont think there is anything i can see me doing at the moment.

mallen
09-09-08, 11:16
Hi the quiet one.
I too hate being in large crowds which is strange as I was the total opposite until the age of 18.Im now 32 and find it a struggle to feel comfortable round people I don't know.I went through depression for quite a few years in my early twenties and my confidence has never been the same since.On the other hand I made myself go back to college 3 years ago and you won't believe this, to do a social work degree which is one of the most scariest and social jobs around.It has been a struggle and I had lots of days off last year when I felt I couldn't cope with going in and being round people.However I am getting through it now and finished my work placement in July. The people there were lovely and it was a realboost for my confidence.By the end of it I felt I could cope alot better with meeting new people.Ihave been off for 2 months for summer break and my confidence has dropped a little but my point to this message is that youare doing a good thing starting employment and facing up to your fears. I'm sure after a while you will see the benefits which could lead to other types of employment for you.Ihave decided not to hide away from the world and not let my anxiety rule my life.Facing up to your fears is a step foward.Letme know how you get on.I'm starting uni in afew weeks again and am dreading it so don't worry you are not on your own!
x

its all good
09-09-08, 12:11
Good luck with the work placement x

Franz
09-09-08, 12:19
I write manuals for computer software. Fortunately it's quite a solitary job, but there's no doubt that my social phobia has a detrimental effect on my work, because it's difficult for me to speak to other people away from my desk.

We have partitions between our desks, and without them I wouldn't be able to work. There's no question about that, unfortunately.

xMckenzie16x
09-09-08, 12:44
hi the quiet 1...

im 17 an once i quit mi job afta havin panic attaks ii didnt work for 6 months at least...now i applied for a housekeepin job at a campsite 2 clean caravans...sometimes i feel anxious especialy in tha staff room...but it can b overcome...i like mi job cos we get 2 work in pairs an have a gd laugh..an cleanin also takes ur mind of tha bad thoughts runnin around in ur head

hope u find some work that u feel comfortable with soon

good luck xx

jadeybags
09-09-08, 13:58
Funnily enough i plucked up the courage to ring a job i had details from the job centre on from 2 weeks ago. Unfortunately she has just taken someone on, but will ring me next week because she said business is picking up at great speed and she will be needing someone else real soon. Its ironing! From home. Its dropped off to me one night, picked up the next.
Ideal! Wish i had rung when i first saw it now. See there is a lesson to be learnt there, hang about dithering and you might miss out!
xxxxx

TheQuietOne
10-09-08, 17:28
Well, i am currently trying to get a job, now the kids are a bit older, and i'm dreading it. I used to do housekeeping in a hotel. I could see me doing that again, because you work on your own a fair bit cleaning your allocated rooms.
I applied on line for a job like that near me, but ive not heard back yet. Other than that i dont think there is anything i can see me doing at the moment.

I've been working with a organisation that helps people that have been unable to work due to ill health get back into employment. They are very busy and under staffed as all support services seem to be, but the idea at the moment is just to try a few different things on a voluntary basis.

Maybe theres somewhere near you that could offer a similar approach just to build your confidence.

TheQuietOne
10-09-08, 17:37
Hi the quiet one.
I too hate being in large crowds which is strange as I was the total opposite until the age of 18.Im now 32 and find it a struggle to feel comfortable round people I don't know.I went through depression for quite a few years in my early twenties and my confidence has never been the same since.On the other hand I made myself go back to college 3 years ago and you won't believe this, to do a social work degree which is one of the most scariest and social jobs around.It has been a struggle and I had lots of days off last year when I felt I couldn't cope with going in and being round people.However I am getting through it now and finished my work placement in July. The people there were lovely and it was a realboost for my confidence.By the end of it I felt I could cope alot better with meeting new people.Ihave been off for 2 months for summer break and my confidence has dropped a little but my point to this message is that youare doing a good thing starting employment and facing up to your fears. I'm sure after a while you will see the benefits which could lead to other types of employment for you.Ihave decided not to hide away from the world and not let my anxiety rule my life.Facing up to your fears is a step foward.Letme know how you get on.I'm starting uni in afew weeks again and am dreading it so don't worry you are not on your own!
x

I can't believe you managed to do a degree, thats staggering!!

I've had to give up college this year, which I'm really gutted about and part of me still believes I should have carried on regardless of the class sizes.

But when i'm sitting here in my comfort zone at home, I think I'm Superman at times, and the reality is, i'm not, far from it.

I have been advised that its not an approach that I should be taking, and thats throwing myself in amongst such a large number of people. I just never knew the classes would be that large, it's just unfortunate really.

I just can't work in that environment, I just can't. I think i'm still trying to convince myself I've done the correct thing in withdrawing from the course.

There will be some people of the few I've taken the easy option, but I wouldn't have been able to do the work in class, simple as that.

TheQuietOne
10-09-08, 17:43
Good luck with the work placement x

Cheers, It went as well as it could have done.

Just as well, as I'm not happy about the college situation. Still the work placement thing is a start in the right direction hopefully.

I write manuals for computer software. Fortunately it's quite a solitary job, but there's no doubt that my social phobia has a detrimental effect on my work, because it's difficult for me to speak to other people away from my desk.

We have partitions between our desks, and without them I wouldn't be able to work. There's no question about that, unfortunately.

I'm not sure what to say, Franz. If you don't need to interact with the other people at your work, then maybe thats ok.

I think we all feel under pressure to be liked and feel would should involve ourselves with other people, but maybe its ok not to all the time, and we probably shouldn't feel guilty about that.

TheQuietOne
10-09-08, 17:46
hi the quiet 1...

im 17 an once i quit mi job afta havin panic attaks ii didnt work for 6 months at least...now i applied for a housekeepin job at a campsite 2 clean caravans...sometimes i feel anxious especialy in tha staff room...but it can b overcome...i like mi job cos we get 2 work in pairs an have a gd laugh..an cleanin also takes ur mind of tha bad thoughts runnin around in ur head

hope u find some work that u feel comfortable with soon

good luck xx

Do you whats good about cleaning, its makes you feel like your in control of something.

You should see my house, its spotless. If I'm feeling really anxious I go on a cleaning spree round the house and I always feel better after it.

Maybe I'm just a weirdo:D!

And I'm a bloke, so lets just keep the fact I quite like cleaning quiet! (Thats kind of a sexist comment ain't it? I'm sure you know what I meant)

xMckenzie16x
10-09-08, 22:55
yea it mkes u feel gd an in control..even tho u have 2 do it 2 there standards ( an mine r 2 high 4 them haha cos apparently we clean like its a hospital) its jst gd fun an like ii sed takes ur mind off tha bad thoughts runnin around ur head

an since iv startd workin ii get tues weds n thurs off n i h8 it lol..i prefer 2 go bk 2 work instaed of havin days off ( if that mkes sense lol) ii also suffer wid depression altho not getin treated 4 it at tha mo..but its calmin down alot more cos im workin an not sittin around tha house mopin an lettin tha bad thoughts run around mi head

naa ur not a weirdo lol..ino plenty of men who like 2 b clean..some of mii lad m8s rooms r cleaner than mine lol = )

good luck tho x

Graz
11-09-08, 09:19
Hey TheQuietOne :) I was in the same situation as you...I now work as a designer in a small office with 4 people. I get on OK because I know if I start feeling anxious I can just walk out, downstairs and outside and that reassurance really helps. I have done it a few times, so I know that's a safe option. It certainly helps that the office is near the countryside.

What I do have real problems with, still, is meetings (fortunately there are precious few of those) and times when everyone goes to the pub opposite. So it's not perfect by any means but I'm just about coping :)

beautiful_house
12-09-08, 00:16
I have a problem with meetings. Its the sitting down and listening. If i was leading the meeting I would be fine cause I would have something to think about. I've missed so many training days as well, but i think it all just reminds me of school. I'm also freelance which is worse cause I have the perfect excuse. In my mind I make no go areas, these are placs I've had panic attacks. So recently I've tried turning those places into safe zones, by working out which places are safe and why. I'm still working on it and sometimes its really hard to figure out. My advice to anyone who has problems with work is to not feel pressured because 'your there to work' or you know your getting paid and someone is watching. Its your life, if you have to take a bit longer then take a bit longer, soon you will be in a work environment that doesnt provoke your attacks, cause your in control. BH

breakingoutthistime
12-09-08, 12:26
I am 27 with much the same condition as you social side to things and have just finished an six week placement voluntary its amazing what it can do for inner confidence even know its hard going.

pete69
12-09-08, 14:42
@ mckenzie: you obviously dont work at martello caravan park in walton on naze /essex....its the most s**tiest dirty park i had the misfortune to stay in,the pillows were all stained from peoples dribble-yuk,the matress was from the 60s im sure, you will have to go there and let loose your grand cleaning miracles on them...thou i personally would drop a bomb.:ohmy:

p.s you can tell your 16 in your post-you write like your txting,i guess its the modern age we live in:shades:

This post has been automatically edited by the NMP post filter

xMckenzie16x
12-09-08, 17:27
lol pete..

aw wel tha 1 wer ii work is prety cleanish sumtyms...buh we still clean so its high standard lol..buh prety much most people can b clean except from leavin behind dirty knickers an mouldy food in tha fridge lol

an yh im 17 nw tho :) lol..jus ttha way ive always tiped fings on tha comp =]

pete69
12-09-08, 19:25
i just done word translator built into xp--its great i can now read your post:D

im jesting :flowers: but yup if you type like it all the time on your moby.it comes natural i guess.

btw what camp ru cleaning at or would you prefer not to say-understand if you dont.

xMckenzie16x
13-09-08, 08:05
um its a john fowlers 1 lol...trelawne manor holiday park

its reli nice ther :)

an gd pay hehe..buh sumtyms it can b tirin

aww dats gd then lol ive bin tryin 2 write as normal as i kan on ere buh ii always 4get haha