PDA

View Full Version : rapid heart and sticky throat

alexis
19-05-05, 18:39
Hi all, not sure if this should be here or health issues.
As some of you will know For almost 2 weeks now my days have not been wonderful. I feel as if my heart is outside my chest and beating three times as fast as it should, my throat is also sore and sticky, (this was my first symptom before all this started over a year ago.) due to the fact it was affecting my work in the way i had to keep coming home early and I woke up real bad yest i decided to go to the GP for reassurance, my own wonderful dr is away so I saw another one.
I thought i would be in 2 mins and reassured it was just anxiety, in one way I was told this but i was also told my heart was beating very very fast and if I went back in a couple of days if it was the same i would need tablets to slow it down, my throat wasent looked at, I know my heart is still as fast most of the time but I woinder if thats because Im worrying now about it being fast, just wondered if any of you had been anything like this,I dont normally worry about health. come on Meg, lol, tell me your valued opinion too, x. thanks to all Alexis

seh1980
19-05-05, 18:43
hello Alexis,

It sounds like you are stuck in a vicious circle. Your heart was beating fast and because you are scared of it, you are now causing it to beat fast. It's the same as panic. You have a panic attack, get scared of having another one and therefore cause yourself to have one. It's silly that we do this to ourselves but it is very hard to break the cycle. I also have the fast heart and palpitations and the more I think about them the worse it gets. These symptoms will not hurt you so try to tell yourself this over and over again until you believe it. Hope you feel better soon!!

Sarah :D

alexis
19-05-05, 18:47
Hi sarah, thanks, thing is though Sarah is I wasent worried because I know its normal and ive had them before, I just went to gp for reassurance,its the tablets what are worrying, feel worse now, Alexis

linjane
19-05-05, 18:53
Hi Alexis,

Chatted to you last night in chatroom - Linda.

Like Sarah said, its a vicious circle with the panic because it will make your heart beat faster. You have to try not to worry - not to easy though, is it. I get missed heartbeats when you can feel it fluttering all over the place, but my docs won't give me anything. I am trying chinese herbal remedies, which do seem to have helped with the missed beats and the anxiety. I am better than I was two weeks ago, anyway!

Keep positive and PM me if you want to talk.
Linda.x

Meg
19-05-05, 19:04
Alexis,

If it had really been **very very fast**
then you would have had an ECG on the spot and referred for an emergency cardiologist appt via A+E.

It would be really beneficial trying to actively relax and see if you can bring it down and take some of the anxiety out of it.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

carlin
19-05-05, 20:11
Hi Alexis,
sorry you are worried right now, i think the doctors cover themselves and always say to go back and double check things like this, same as blood pressure etc. they must know that the anxiety makes these things worse and make an allowances, but they also have to cover themselves. if it had been that high, you wouldn't be posting, they would have whipped you off to check it out immediately. take care xxx

alexis
19-05-05, 21:49
I think Ive worded all this wrong, I am not worried about the heart rate, it has been like this b4 Im worried medication may be needed for something which to me is due to anxiety, relax, yes what else can I do to actively relax, I do daily yoga, weekly yoga class, relaxation cds meditation, i think my days of relaxation are gone, I have tried my best, I am trying.He said it was very fast at the moment, if i could get rid of the anxiety then I wouldnt be here on this site today.

linjane
20-05-05, 07:27
Hi Alexis,
Don't beat yourself up. I know how you feel, I've suffered with anxiety for years and my doc won't prescribe meds. I get the missed beats, sometimes daily and I let (USED TO LET - BE POSITIVE) them bother me. You're doing well because you know its anxiety.
You're doing so much to relax. I don't allow myself enough time, to. Quick question, can you swim? I'm going to post this, because I can't and I think its because I can't relax properly. I wonder if others have this problem?
Please pm me if you want to talk. I feel like you sometimes, that you are just getting nowhere fast and will never feel 'normal' again.
Take care
Love, Lindaxxx

Piglet
20-05-05, 09:14
Hi Alexis,

I see what you're trying to say - you're concerned to have tablets for a symptom you feel is caused by your anxiety.

I can relate to that as last year everytime I went to have my blood pressure (I know thats a different symptom than yours) checked it was high at the surgery (I hate going to the Drs) but I felt it was probably normal most of the time at home. My surgery gave me a BP monitor to bring home and use over a few days and sure enough it was perfectly normal thus I didn't need to take tablets.

Could you explain this to your doctor or do they feel it doesn't matter what the cause is as the sypmtom needs to be treated???

Regarding the relaxation bit - you can try too hard to relax
in Claire Weekes book she says "the woman says but I've strived all day to be relaxed - surely the woman has had a day of striving not relaxing".

Perhaps do something you actually enjoy doing, I like doing something arty as thats my thing. Personally I think anything that takes your mind off your anxiety and that you can get engrossed in constitutes relaxing.

Lots of love

Piglet

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.