PDA

View Full Version : Heart Pounding

LisaJ
19-05-05, 21:03
Hi
I had my first real bad panic attack on Tuesday of this week, I saw the doc on Tues evening and she has put me on Propanolol, this is also to treat Migraine related dizziness. The panic attack on Tues started with a real heavy pounding of my heart, then the dizziness, lack of breath and so on..but since then every so often my heart feels as if its going to start again. It will beat really hard for a couple of beats, almost take my breath away, then stop. Its happened four times again today, is this normal after a panic attack? The dizziness I have suffered with for years and am fairly used to, but this pounding of my heart I've never had before until Tuesday when I had a full attack.
Any advice would be gratefully received.

Lis
xx

Meg
19-05-05, 21:07
palpatations (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2284)
Missed heartbeats! (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3186)
sorry for being silly....but.... (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3320)
Palpitations? Reassurance needed and some answers! (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3371)
Missed heartbeat question again (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3550)

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

EmmaJane
19-05-05, 22:02
Yes lisa its all normal, please try not to worry. The more you worry, the more you will notice it.

Take care

Feel free to PM me, if you want to talk.

Emma xx

Keep focused, keep positive.

LisaJ
19-05-05, 22:17
[Oops!] sorry about asking the same question again, I didn't realise it was such a common thing.
I'll be honest and say all this panic attack thing is totally new and foreign to me. I'd heard of them, and have suffered with my nerves for sometime but to experience what I am now, the palpitations, the dizziness to the extreme that i feel as if I will pass out (something I have a phobia about) is all new and frightening me silly.
Just sitting watching the tv a moment ago it happened again and it was quite bad, I really dont like it, but knowing now its normal I will try not to worry quite so much.
Sorry and thank you.

lis
xx

Meg
19-05-05, 22:37
Lisa,

The only way to learn and overcome issues is by reassurance and understanding .. so you keep asking ...

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

stimpy
20-05-05, 00:14
Hi Lisa

I suffer this horrible heart pounding.

It's a nastly litte devil isn't it. Sometimes my heart pounds so much it makes my chest ache.

It is caused by your body perparing to "fight" whatever is bothering you or prepare you to run away.

Try not to worry about it, as it is quite a common symptom.

Love, light and Best wishes
Liz xxx
With hard work and determination and all the things you know.
The world is there for you to take. There's nowhere you can't go.

[:p]Scatty Eccentric & 'Poet Laureate to panic and anxiety'

Sue K with 5
20-05-05, 00:55
Hi Lisa

My heart used to pound so much I thought ii was a heart attack, the proprandol will help and it will alleviate the symptoms, give it a few days and it will clam right down, I could be lying in bed and it would happen so dont worry, its your bodies way of reacting to your fears and frustration

good luck and keep reading this site it will help so much

Sue

scknight

linjane
20-05-05, 07:21
Hi Lisa,
Don't feel silly for asking questions, these symptoms are really scary. I have suffered with anxiety for years and the heart thing has been going on for 3 years. You're quite lucky your doc is understanding and giving you something to help, mine won't!

You have to try to relax, deep breathing etc.. and learn how to overcome them, hard to know I know, I'm still trying lol.

Please PM me if you need to talk, I know what you're going through.
Take care,
Linda.x

pinkscrumpy
20-05-05, 08:00
Hi Lisa

I have had really really bad funny heart things as I call then for the last 6 years. They seem to be the most constant thing with my anxiety problem. I am very sorry to say but it is actually nice to hear of someone suffering as servere as me.

I have had every test done possible in the last 6 years and yesterday for the first time the heart probs showed up on the monitor. I made me feel a hell of a lot better now it is down on paper. I am on 160mg of propanolol a day but it does not releive the symptons but takes the edge of the forcefulness a little.

It still scares the S*!t out of me (pardon my french) every day and I keep trying to not let it get the better of me (easier said than done).

Keep me up to date with your procress and any questions you would like to ask i'd be happy to help

with love oh and welcome

MANDIE XX

LisaJ
20-05-05, 10:06
Thank you all for your understanding, its appreciated more than you will know.
My own doc is hopeless, I saw an emergency doc on Tuesday evening, but I'd seen a doc at the local hospital about my dizziness and it was him at the hospital that wanted me on the propanolol, so I guess its killing two birds with one stone, or will do in the future i hope.
I'm on 80mg a day at the moment, and have to return to the GP in two weeks time, with a view to maybe increasing the dose, given that I'll see my own gp I'm not holding my breath (even though I feel as if I am most of the time lol)
For what its worth I've not had any heart pounding yet this morning. I'm one of these people that if i know why it happening and that it wont hurt me I'm okay. I think just by you all telling me what you did last night has helped already. Who needs medication, just give me this place;)
Thank you[:X][:X]