PDA

View Full Version : keeping a job with health anxiety

Neilr1978
08-09-08, 22:12
is anyone managing to hold down a job with health anxiety because i cant.When the feeling comes on that something is wrong(i.e im gonna die if a heart attack etc) i have to get home.ANd because ive done it quite alot i even get really stressed out before my first day as i know whats gonna happen
I really want to get this sorted as i want to work and my c.v. now has more lies on it than facts(i.e length of time in a job and stuff).Ive just turned 30 and i feel like ive wasted the last 10 years of my life since i left the army.The anxiety has been in total control of me since i left the army and ive never held a job down since.Most people including some family members think im lazy and dont want to work, but i do.
I would love to get some satisfaction back into my life and to feel like im doing something with my life.Ooopps i better stop im ranting again.sorry!!lol

freakedout
08-09-08, 22:54
Hi Neilr1978

I am afraid I cant hold down a job, I have panic attacks and agoraphobia and this whole work situation screws me up. Like you I would like to work and have some satisfaction of being productive and having some purpose and self-respect and self-esteem back but it is so tough. I have just actually applied for a job to see if I am good enough to just get an interview but I know that I couldnt do the job. Like you I had a good job before and people often ask 'what you do' or 'where you work', it really gets ya down when you have to say you dont work, or cant work. I know I am not a total loser but sometimes it really feels like I am.:weep:

HAving said all that, I dont want to be totally negative, there are a lot of people here who work so hopefully you will get some good replies.

Good luck in your quest to work. And by the way, I dont think your lazy cos I understand.

Take care,
Freaky

Neilr1978
08-09-08, 22:57
Hi Neilr1978

I am afraid I cant hold down a job, I have panic attacks and agoraphobia and this whole work situation screws me up. Like you I would like to work and have some satisfaction of being productive and having some purpose and self-respect and self-esteem back but it is so tough. I have just actually applied for a job to see if I am good enough to just get an interview but I know that I couldnt do the job. Like you I had a good job before and people often ask 'what you do' or 'where you work', it really gets ya down when you have to say you dont work, or cant work. I know I am not a total loser but sometimes it really feels like I am.:weep:

HAving said all that, I dont want to be totally negative, there are a lot of people here who work so hopefully you will get some good replies.

Good luck in your quest to work. And by the way, I dont think your lazy cos I understand.

Take care,
Freaky

thanks freaky:yesyes:

nomorepanic
08-09-08, 23:01
I don't suffer HA but I suffer panic and anxiety and each day at the moment I go to work and I suffer from the minute I am there till I come home and I live for weekends.

I have always worked through panic - had no choice really - work or lose my house and my independance.

You can panic as well at work as you can at home so when I feel really bad I go outside and sit still and do some breathing or escape to the loos.

You have to tell yourself that you will NOT die of panic or HA or anxiety and you can get through it and you have to go to work and keep life as normal as possible.

Have you asked for CBT or counselling which may help?

Captain America
08-09-08, 23:14
i've been able to hold down a job for a few months now, through a combination of cbt (which is really great for the stressful parts of work life) and a company that understands that i have anxiety. i had to take a job that was less stressful, and i was passed over for promotion, but hey, it's where i am in life right now so i don't beat myself up for it.

health anxiety is hard. work sometimes is a distraction for me from it. other times it consumes me and i do what nicola does...go outside or hide in the toilet.

but the more you go through it and survive, the easier it gets. the first month was hard, i freaked out at the first meeting, but now i prepare for meetings by breathing, cbt'ing, and basically just telling myself that it's no worse than paying the bills, and it only has as much weight as i give it.

not sure that helps...i know it always sounds simpler than it is. i look forward every week to therapy and that helps me too.

jacks 6
09-09-08, 15:24
hi
i hold down a full time job as a nurse, and i also have health anxiety, it is torture at times but when we are busy im fine not enough time to dwell on my own issues, its the quiet times thats the worst, i find other things to do that takes my mind off me,it does help but come home absolutely shattered at times

Neilr1978
09-09-08, 19:32
hi
i hold down a full time job as a nurse, and i also have health anxiety, it is torture at times but when we are busy im fine not enough time to dwell on my own issues, its the quiet times thats the worst, i find other things to do that takes my mind off me,it does help but come home absolutely shattered at times

I would of thought a nurse with health anxiety would be unworkable.It just goes to show what keeping yourself busy can do.welldone!

missy_swallows
10-09-08, 10:06
Hello, i work full time and its one of the things that stops me from being a total recluse, i am really lucky that i work for a small comapny (a tattoo studio) and everyone knows when i am feeling a bit icky and take that into account also my boyfriend works here so i am never alone (he is like ym safety blanket) bad for the long run as i need to stand on my own two feet! i really hope you get a job soon, why dont you try some volunteering work to begin with that would be on your own terms and you can do as little or as much as you want and then progress on to a real job! good luck!!!

Neilr1978
10-09-08, 17:40
Hello, i work full time and its one of the things that stops me from being a total recluse, i am really lucky that i work for a small comapny (a tattoo studio) and everyone knows when i am feeling a bit icky and take that into account also my boyfriend works here so i am never alone (he is like ym safety blanket) bad for the long run as i need to stand on my own two feet! i really hope you get a job soon, why dont you try some volunteering work to begin with that would be on your own terms and you can do as little or as much as you want and then progress on to a real job! good luck!!!

thats a good idea missy thanks for that il have to give that a good think about.:yesyes: :yesyes: