PDA

View Full Version : Help I'm so scared!

DizzyDi
08-09-08, 23:22
I am getting more and more obsessed about being ill, and its making me think about it all the time. I am so scared now that I may be randomly diabetic with out me knowing about it or anaemic or some other illness. I know its almost certainly not the case and only had blood tests done 8 weeks ago but for some reason I have suddenly become really scared about the fact I may be ill with out me knowing it. It started with me getting a stomach bug so I got tired and have developed a dry, furry tongue. This has made me constantly think that I am thirsty so must be diabetic and 'fatigued'. I cant stop thinking about it all the time, and Im so scared. Please help. Thanks, Di x

Danuella
09-09-08, 00:33
Hiya Di
I dont know if its a national thing but llyods chemist do free diabetes tests,thats how my sis found out she had it,me,my sis n bron were just browsing round town n decieded to get checked cos it runs in our family.
So my advice to put your mind at rest find a local chemist who are doing free diabetic tests n get ya self checked out.
xx xx

DizzyDi
09-09-08, 00:37
thanks for being so understanding, I think Ill do that tomorrow to shut myself up lol.

Mikke
09-09-08, 01:46
I know that feeling..
I often think I'm diabetic too, I take ssri's and they can produce hypoglycemia, which adds symptoms much like diabetes that fuel my fear.
I have taken multiple tests, and I'm really not diabetic, but I doubt this when I'm anxious of course...

Test yourself, a diabetic test is done quickly and painless :)

And remember, you are probably not diabetic! You could have mild diabetes without many symptoms, but in most cases you are not only thirsty, but also going to the toilet all the time, itching, dizzy, tired and you have pain in your legs.

london
09-09-08, 03:09
thanks for being so understanding, I think Ill do that tomorrow to shut myself up lol.

let us know how you get on

LeeBee
09-09-08, 07:56
A few weeks ago I thought I might be diabetic, or have a hperactive thyroid, because I was so anxious and had dry mouth, thirstiness, needed to wee all the time, was hot, dizzy etc etc. I had blood tests which were all fine. The doctor reminded me that all of the symptoms I had were anxiety symptoms as well as diabetes symptoms. Sure enough, when I calmed down a bit the symptoms started to go away. Also the doc said that diabetic thirst means you want to drink LOADS all the time as your body is desperate to get rid of the excess sugar, in other words it's not just a dry mouth which is fixed with a gulp of water. By all means get the test, but try not to worry too much - diabetes has a lot of symptoms other than thirstiness. :)

DizzyDi
09-09-08, 18:21
Thanks for all your helpful replies, I got to the chemists and they said I had to come back tommorow morning because Id eaten already, so I bought a home testing kit can do it whenever im getting worried about it. Just had my tea so shall test my blood sugar levels later tonight. Leebee I also got worried about hyperthyroidism but they did tests and *miraculously* I was fine lol. I shall tell u how I get on with diabetes test, thanks. x

DizzyDi
09-09-08, 23:00
As expected I wasnt diabetic at all, test was fine :blush: thanks so much for all your support tho and I feel much less panicky now. x

Alisonj
10-09-08, 05:26
I am glad that you are feeling better. Health anxiety can be absolutely terrifying.