PDA

View Full Version : Thick Saliva

GmcD
09-09-08, 12:19
Hi, i have been suffering from thick constant saliva for 8 months now, one particular doctor said it is anxiety causing acid which is causing me to produce saliva to counter the acid. Has anyone else heard of this? If anyone has suffered from this is there any recommeded medication, I have been taking proton pump prohibitors for 2 months now but they are not working, I don't have any burning anywhere anyway. The saliva is really making me depressed as some days it literally pours out of me and it is thick and glue like. Thanks for any help or advice.

hunny
09-09-08, 12:30
Hi

I get this loads

Are you well hydrated?Mine is worse if I haven't been drinking enough

Others meds may cause this too like antiDs

H x

LeeBee
09-09-08, 12:44
Could there be some post-nasal drip going on there too, where mucus comes out of your nose into your throat/mouth, or is it def just the stomach acid? I've had a lot of post-nasal drip lately and have found that it sometimes makes my saliva thick and mucusy too. If so then nasal drops and/or steam can help clear the drip. Feel better soon :).

tashbarnes87
09-09-08, 12:56
Hello, omg i get this all the time it drives me nuts. it feels like my throat is clogged up with thick mucus and i cannot swallow it its awful. Doc said its acid reflux but i think post nasal drip. I use gaviscon which does work a little but if i manage to forget about it it seems to get better. making me think its anxiety related :) x

GmcD
09-09-08, 13:24
Could there be some post-nasal drip going on there too, where mucus comes out of your nose into your throat/mouth, or is it def just the stomach acid? I've had a lot of post-nasal drip lately and have found that it sometimes makes my saliva thick and mucusy too. If so then nasal drops and/or steam can help clear the drip. Feel better soon :).

That what the first ENT doctor said it was, but the 2nd time I went to him he said my sinuses had cleared up and he didn't really have any idea what was causing it, another ENT said it was saliva but just told me to take a exporant. Yeah tashbarnes87 it sometimes goes away when I am busy and but my mind constantly goes back to it and I feel like it is running my life. I do drink loads of water hunny about 2 litres a day.

I have suffered stomach problems in the past, stomach ulcer, bad wind, sore ribs from wind pressure etc which I all believe are anxiety/stress related, my stomach is fine these days but now this :/

iworryallthetime
09-09-08, 17:25
i have been getting this saliva thing i think , every morning and through the day cloudy bubbly stuff i find it diffecult to swallow to , got worried so googled it ... bad move as now very worried have something really BAD ....the trouble is the more you think about it the more you swallow and it goes on i think ...

GmcD
09-09-08, 18:42
i have been getting this saliva thing i think , every morning and through the day cloudy bubbly stuff i find it diffecult to swallow to , got worried so googled it ... bad move as now very worried have something really BAD ....the trouble is the more you think about it the more you swallow and it goes on i think ...

On my search I found nothing serious that cause excess saliva, unless it is red. "the trouble is the more you think about it the more you swallow and it goes on i thin", yeah this seems to be the case, today for me is particularly bad, its seems like I have a lump in my throat, I hack up thick white saliva and the lump is gone for about a minute and is back again.

iworryallthetime
09-09-08, 19:12
thanks for reply ,and yes im the same i bring up bubbles of saliva and throat clear for a few min to them back again ..
maybe just is anx thing after all ... hope sooo

jannnne
10-09-08, 14:49
I have been told that I have acid reflux my saliva is a bit better now but when this started my mouth was really dry like I had now saliva at all ... it was as though it was soooo thick it , does that sound like yours? I am really worried I have cancer of somewhere between my mouth and chest.

GmcD
10-09-08, 18:55
I have been told that I have acid reflux my saliva is a bit better now but when this started my mouth was really dry like I had now saliva at all ... it was as though it was soooo thick it , does that sound like yours? I am really worried I have cancer of somewhere between my mouth and chest.

My mouth is very wet, if I bend over and open my mouth saliva will pretty much constantly flow out! But the stuff that gets stuck in my throat is very very thick like egg whites and sometimes it is a glob of white stuff. I was worried about cancer for a while (but like most here I have also diagnosed myself with bowel, brain, lung and skin cancer over the last year :/ ), none of the several docs I have been to think it isn't anything serious and there is no cancer that I know of that causes the production of lots of saliva. But when no doctor can fix me I start to get worried again. I don't think doctors have a clue what triggers extra saliva and just put it down to acid or allergies.

tashbarnes87
10-09-08, 19:01
Can i ask does anyone experience a tickle in the throat like a hair is stuck along with a slight cough?

GmcD
10-09-08, 19:07
Can i ask does anyone experience a tickle in the throat like a hair is stuck along with a slight cough?

sometimes I get a slight tickle cough, it comes and goes, it is always a wet cough though, is yours a dry cough or saliva come out when coughing?

tashbarnes87
10-09-08, 19:36
Yeah mine is always a dry cough it scares me to death every time i cough cos i think the worse. Have you ruled out post nasal drip?

x

Captain America
10-09-08, 20:30
wow...the one thing i had left that i hadn't attributed to anxiety!!! yet here you all are, going through the same thing.

how bizzare. i really hadn't gotten around to worrying about this symptom yet, so i'm glad to read it here first. i get it mostly mornings, but can come any time. thankfully it's one thing i haven't googled.

but hey, i have time now!!

Worrier
10-09-08, 20:49
I read all your posts and thought omg this is me exactly. I especially have it first thing in the morning and after eating dinner at night. I have been working myself into such a state about it and can't stop thinking about it.

I was googling the other day and found laryngopharyngeal reflux.

I haven't googled in the longest time but was so sick of all this goopy stuff in my throat. Please read about it as it is quite interesting and not disturbing.

Over the course of the last 6 years I have experienced many issues with throat/swallowing (especially the lump in the throat feeling) but never had this before. I guess this is just another thing that anxiety brings on from the stomach acid to the mucus.

Anyway hope this helps. Let me know what you think.

Natalie

GmcD
10-09-08, 20:53
wow...the one thing i had left that i hadn't attributed to anxiety!!! yet here you all are, going through the same thing.

how bizzare. i really hadn't gotten around to worrying about this symptom yet, so i'm glad to read it here first. i get it mostly mornings, but can come any time. thankfully it's one thing i haven't googled.

but hey, i have time now!!

Good luck with the google search! you will come across loads of people with this symptom and no answers.

tashbarnes87 my last ENT doctor told me it wasn't post nasal drip and I always feel the saliva forming in my mouth.

GmcD
10-09-08, 20:57
I read all your posts and thought omg this is me exactly. I especially have it first thing in the morning and after eating dinner at night. I have been working myself into such a state about it and can't stop thinking about it.

I was googling the other day and found laryngopharyngeal reflux.

I haven't googled in the longest time but was so sick of all this goopy stuff in my throat. Please read about it as it is quite interesting and not disturbing.

Over the course of the last 6 years I have experienced many issues with throat/swallowing (especially the lump in the throat feeling) but never had this before. I guess this is just another thing that anxiety brings on from the stomach acid to the mucus.

Anyway hope this helps. Let me know what you think.

Natalie

Yeah I have been thinking of that reflux also known as silent reflux. I have read it is sometimes hard to get rid of hence maybe why the proton pump prohibitors are not working for me.

milly jones
10-09-08, 21:06
saliva?????

whats that !!!!

lol milly xxxxx

Captain America
10-09-08, 21:19
oh milly lucky you!

natalie..this sounds like me. google is smarter than my doctor! kinda of a shame it's so negative all the time. i never did google on my own and find a (pretty much) benign condition. this one was refreshing. thank you.

Worrier
10-09-08, 23:04
Hey Cap,

Glad you found it useful. It really sounds like what I get so I am gonna try some Prilosec OTC and see what happens. Where are you at in the States by the way?

Natalie

milly jones
11-09-08, 09:34
noo captain hunny

my tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth so i cant get my words out and my teeth rub my tongue till its raw, plus my breathe smells too

guess no one is ever happy, esp with anx

yours longing to drool

milly xxx

Captain America
11-09-08, 15:44
yeah i guess i wouldn't want that either.

no, we're never happy are we?

precious78
12-09-08, 11:26
Well the past few days I have had this excessive muscus thing. I have started taking PPIs but am not keen on doing so without working out why I hae heart burn all the time.

ANyway that aside I have found I have had the 'egg white' thing too that was mentioned and it is really thick and gets stuck in between my nose and my throat. So this may be sinus related. But also I have alot of saliva in my throat and a dry cough at time which makes me dizzy from coughing?

precious78
12-09-08, 11:27
Oh yeah and I forogt to say I keep waking up with a hoarse voice.

iworryallthetime
12-09-08, 14:28
hi i went to docs today ,and she looked in my throat ,listened to chest and said all seems normal ,she just thinks its normal and the more im thinking of it the worse it will become , if it is green it could be a sign of chest infection ,but mine is cloudy and bubbly , and when im busy or talking i dont notice it at all its worse when i contiousley think about it ,so it must be anxtiety , and another thing we all have very similar symptons dont we so im sure we all cant have throat C ....must be anx bringing it on .
I did ask about throat C , and she said you would know if you have it ,coughing up blood , feeling really rough etc ,i also had bloods done last week and all came back normal ,so if something was up she said would be showing in results .
hope thats a help ,

GmcD
14-09-08, 23:46
hi i went to docs today ,and she looked in my throat ,listened to chest and said all seems normal ,she just thinks its normal and the more im thinking of it the worse it will become , if it is green it could be a sign of chest infection ,but mine is cloudy and bubbly , and when im busy or talking i dont notice it at all its worse when i contiousley think about it ,so it must be anxtiety , and another thing we all have very similar symptons dont we so im sure we all cant have throat C ....must be anx bringing it on .
I did ask about throat C , and she said you would know if you have it ,coughing up blood , feeling really rough etc ,i also had bloods done last week and all came back normal ,so if something was up she said would be showing in results .
hope thats a help ,

Yeah same, I have been very busy over the last few days and I haven't noticed it at all, well a little so it must be either anxiety or made worse by anxiety. precious78 you have the classic symptoms of GERD.

Hacker
11-11-08, 06:33
I too have been suffering from constant thick saliva/mucous for 14 mos now. I am so frustrated with doctors not understanding my problem. They continue to suggest it is just saliva...it's not. It is so thick it coats my mouth, tongue and throat. I am constantly having to clear my throat. Sometimes I will choke mid -conversation with somebody because it builds up and I can't breath. I have seen allergist, pulmonologist, ent, gastrointestinal dr and my PCP, but nothing has helped. It was so bad when it initially started I had difficulty talking and breathing. I developed an infection lasting 9+ months which was finally cleared up with antibiotics. I don't have the drip issue any longer nor the problem with being over sensitive to odors. I am exhausted by the end of day of having to deal with the issue of being in public and always looking for place to hide and hack mucous. This is destroying my life.

I have tried anxiety medication for approx 9 mos with no success. I just recently had an endoscopy done. Dr. took a couple biopsy's of areas in my stomach and esophagus. I will find out the results in couple weeks. I suspect he too will find nothing. He didn't seem to think acid reflux would cause mucous problem. I have tried PPI's for about 4 mos. without success.
I have tried Mucinex to thin mucous - does nothing. Allergy medicine just dries up my sinuses causing them to bleed.

I have been searching web for entire time of illness and continue to find many people with same problem, but I never find anyone that has had a diagnosis.

This morning I hacked up a little red blood. It didn't continue though.

Please....anyone that may have had any success with resolving this problem or has found doctor that seems to understand or have diagnosis, let me know.

mishimasan
06-12-08, 14:23
Thick saliva is something that can appear when the foods the individual is eating are not agreeing with their body.

Thick, mucous-like saliva accompanied by bad breath, are usually signs of the body detoxification process. The tongue is a very popular area of analysis in alternative medicines, which can help paint an accurate picture of one's health.

Foods such as dairy and soya can not always be easily assimilated by the human body. Dairy and soya foods are some of the most mucous-forming foods on the planet. We see the problems with these foods manifesting in conditions such as asthma and bowel disorders.

Foods that can also cause thick saliva are fatty, processed, refined foods that are void of any real nutritional value. These could be white sugar, white pastas, white rice, white bread, candy, any carbonated, sugary drinks and fatty meats.

If you have been to your local GP and they have not been able to successfully identify the problem with the thick saliva, try this for a week to a week and a half:
Eliminate all dairy and soya products from the diet (alternatives may be found in the form of nut milks).
Stay clear of any highly artificial, refined and processed foods.
Stimulate your lymph system by engaging in physical exercise on a daily basis to the point of sweating (I can discuss the lymph system in more detail if needed), massage and deep, full breathing exercises.Please post back if you have any questions about the things that I have discussed.

You can also get more information regarding how the body, mind and spirit are synergistically involved in determining our state of health by visiting:

www.rawoptions.co.uk (http://www.rawoptions.co.uk)

Kind regards,

MishimaSan

DLiving
08-02-09, 22:00
Hi

I have suffered from producing thick saliva from the salivary glad for over a years. After blood test, doctor suspected that I am suffering the Sjogren's Syndrome but not sure yet. The doctor alos said that something wrong with my immuned system. I am now taking some vitmans suppliment for two months but does not see help much.

It is extremely irritating that not only I feel dry mouth but I need to use my fingers to help to push the saliva to drain out of the glands all the time. I have never have any operation in my mouth, cancer or any medication.:blush: :blush:

Can anybody help to treat this problem.

chrisban35
25-08-12, 14:23
I read all the posts here and I think too many of you may be associating this physical phenomena with anxiety, but when you research it across the internet, you'll find there are a lot of sufferers without anxiety.

I too have suffered with this problem for years now! I think together we can all start associating our likenesses and disassociating any things that may be slightly different.

One common theme for most is that in the morning it is the worst. Is that correct for most sufferers? If so, that would definitely give merit to the acid reflux since our bodies are lying at an angle and we're more likely to have acid leak into our throats during the night. But also keep in mind that it depends on "how" you sleep as well. Do you breathe primarily through your nose or through your mouth? Do you snore? etc.

I also wanted to make an additional comment though that might help you determine if it is anxiety, or something else. When you speak to other people, or have a stressful moment, start noticing whether or not your mouth becomes dry. If your mouth becomes dryer during these moments, then it is possible for it to be anxiety. However, if you are like me, and these situations do not make your mouth dry, it is probably some other possible issue. And also, if you seem to have it MORE in the morning when you wake up, it's probably not anxiety as we are usually very relaxed during our sleep. :)

Along that line, I tend to notice that while I am speaking, extra thick mucus will start forming around my voice box. So that after about 5 minutes of talking, I begin to notice the sensation of mucus there. If I continue to talk, I will get a very mild rash feel and although my voice does not sound raspy, I do notice there is a very slight strain on my part when I speak. The average person around me cannot notice it in my voice, nor can I. But I can definitely feel it.

But like most, mine is worse in the mornings when I first get up. I too also feel the tickle of a hair like obstruction in my throat, and although I don't smoke, I probably cough like a smoker in the morning... :) My coughs are wet and usually produce a clear thick substance. But I also notice I have to work really hard in a good cough to produce it.

Some have associated it with a cold, or nasal drainage... If you've had it for over 5 years, I find that it rules out a cold or nasal drip. I also believe that it's not cancerous or anything infectious.

My research seems to show that it may just be acid reflux and an early sign that you need to change your eating habits and also have your esophagus checked. Some people, it may not be their diet at all. There are some people who suffer from something called, you guessed it, "Acid Reflux Syndrome". That's when the muscle that closes your stomach off from your throat(esophageal sphincter), doesn't work properly.

But if you are like me... You sometimes eat after 8PM, you my have Celiac Sprue.(Allergic to wheat Germ) and the things you eat may not agree with your normal digestive system. Go on line to Google and type in "Acid Reflux Diets" and you will find a WEALTH of information on how to take the acidic content out of your diet and have a more peaceful digestive process. :)

One thing is for sure, and before I say this, I am OBVIOUSLY just as guilty... Your body is TELLING you something!! You need to follow up with a doctor and make sure they get to the bottom of it. Some here mentioned they saw a doctor and that the doctor pretty much gave them a common template speech about what they "thought" the problem might be. PUSH your doctor until you achieve the results you WANT from him/her!!

After all, as much as we want to believe doctors genuinely care, you are the ONLY person who GENUINELY cares about your health. So follow through and PUSH to get the results you need to get yourself back to a healthy state of being. :) Best of luck to ALL who suffer with this very bothersome problem!!

God Bless!

Smokeyfruitbat
23-01-15, 08:12
I too suffer with "thick saliva". It's terrible trying to get to sleep at night, having to clear my throat all the time. I went to an ENT specialist and had the "camera" up my nose and into my throat. I had always suspected my sinuses but when the camera went up my nose, the specialist showed me step by step what he was looking at as we could both watch what was happening. My sinuses were as clean as a whistle, there wasn't any polyps, moving down to my throat showed that I have silent reflux. This means that my stomach is sending acid up towards my throat but it is without the symptoms of heartburn, so you are unaware of anything untoward. I take a tablet that reduces acid afer my evening meal and have nothing else to eat that night. I must admit it has cut the coughing and spluttering down but I still wake up with thick mucus in my throat

Moses
27-09-16, 08:44
I have had thick and continuous saliva from one gland for 3 years. What I do is use a chewing gum call mentos that sticks to my teeth and I spread over the gland. This stops me from licking the gland and restricts the flow of saliva.