PDA

View Full Version : Agrophobia

sharonroberts
11-09-08, 03:20
Hi Guys

I wonder if anyone can help me, i have had panic attacks for 12 years, but also been suffering from agrophobia for 1 year. I am seeing a CPN for cognitive behaviour therapy and he tells me the only real way to beat the agrophobia is to go and face the panic attacks so that my mind realises that panic attacks are not dangerous. I am so depressed because I just want to get out and live my life again but i cannot cope with tha attacks they are so bad.

titchjd
11-09-08, 09:54
Hiya....

I also have panic attacks and anxiety causing agoraphobia .

Agoraphobia is only caused because we fear the feelings we get so much that we start 2 avoid places ..eventually feeling only safe in our homes .
Like you I am having CBT and have found it usefull......The main thing you have 2 deal with is your anxiety and learning and underdstanding as much about it as possible .

Have you read Dr Claire Weekes books ..they are excellent .

I have tried getting out everyday even small walks and yes I panic and get anxious and want 2 run home and still do sometimes but the more I have done it the more I realise that they are only feelings even though they are so Intense I know they wont harm me and they will pass .

If you ever want 2 chat please PM me xxxx

You will get through this xx

Titchjd xxxx

Graz
11-09-08, 10:11
Hey Sharon :)

One of the usual 'cures' for panic attacks is indeed to face the source of them. Depending on what's causing yours, it would be a good idea to take his advice if you can at all. However it's always good to take things along with you that will help: I find water, mints and also my phone (as a mp3 player!) takes my mind off having a panic attack a little, another thing is taking friends or family with you to give you support. And I certainly find fluoxetine has been a help for me. While it hasn't stopped the problem by any means it's certainly made things more bearable. Good luck :)

sunnydays
11-09-08, 15:12
I too have been agrophobic for a year. I did start to go out but then had a setback and am once more confined to the house. I found that taking my mobile phone with me when I did a little walk round the block helped a lot. If you get panicky and need to stop and rest for a few minutes you can pretend you're chatting to someone on your phone. This helps get rid of the 'Oh my God, everyone is looking at me' feeling.

Good luck!

Sunny

Tom_M
11-09-08, 23:09
Hi sharon

It's all about normality in your life. Take me for example. It's now normal for me to go shopping in the supermarket, but a few years ago it was normal for me to panic at just the thought of doing it. It's a gradual process changing what is normal in your life. I guess technically it's called conditioning. You have to gradually condition yourself to being comfortable when going out, so going out is just a normal process that carries no fear. Start off by going out when it's dark (sometimes it helps going out in the dark if you think people are looking at you), and gradually go further each time until you feel comfortable going out during the day.

Tom

Oceangirl
26-09-08, 23:18
I am getting slightly better with travel. But it not easy. I find 2mg small dosage of diazepam works treats 4 my nerves. No side effects and GP says 2mg wont get me hooked even if i hav one a day:yesyes::yesyes::yesyes::yesyes::bighug1::bighu g1:

Anxious_gal
27-09-08, 00:32
i found that that book "heal your life" and the work book, really helpful. I realized that i was always imaging the worst and thinking negative thoughts.

"our subconscious mind accepts what we chose to believe"
"all we are ever dealing with is a thought and a thought can be changed"

I just really found the book helpful. it is true though the only way to beat agoraphobia is to get out and face it .
take baby steps, there will be set backs but don't let that stop you.

at the moment i'm trying to let go of my fear, as i think my fear keeps me safe, but i know there have been plenty of times where i stopped thinking and just went with it and nothing bad happened!

also working on loving yourself helps and believing and trusting yourself,

Dazza
27-09-08, 15:04
I agree with the above comments.

Due to my recent fears of having a heart attack, I would avoid going out or to certain places.

I've forced myself to increase my comfort zone slowly, and am now able to go out for walks, go the shops etc. Having your phone with your or and mp3 player does also help, as does having a bottle of water.

If you do not feel up to it, then get one of your friends of family to walk with you. You will find that by making slow steps to get out more (ie, starting with just around the block, then a couple of blocks, then the shops etc) you will slowly build your confidence, instead of overwhelming yourself by trying to do too much.

Sonia_65
16-11-11, 13:04
OCEANGIRL....I find that helps me to in hard situations..