PDA

View Full Version : Advice- fearful and intrusive thoughts

Veronica H
11-09-08, 08:47
Hi All

I read this by the brilliant Dr Weekes and thought it might give you some reassurance;

"You must let your thoughts come, as is their habit, but you must understand that they are only thoughts and try not to be too impressed by them. They are like the surface waves, not the deep current that helps carry the ship along. Unfortunately the surface waves make so much more fuss than the deep current, and so seem so much more important. These frightening thoughts bring no truthful message, however forceful,real, they may seem. They bring a message only of habit and fear, and these are not reality".

There is also a reminder that "nervous illness is simply normal physiological process exaggerated and one cannot therefore blot it out completely; one can only reduce it to normal intensity".

Veronica

EmmaJane
11-09-08, 09:01
That is very good, thank you for posting that. I have read many books, but never any Dr Weekes. I'll print this off now, especially as today is an intrusive thought day.

Emma x

milly jones
11-09-08, 09:09
thanks hunny for the reassurance

mill xx

LLL
11-09-08, 21:16
I hate intrusive thoughts, mine get so out of control and I feel so stupid when I've calmed down and then I wonder where they came from. Some are so bizarre and if I actually voice them they sound even more ridiculous - I daren't actually tell people about them for fear they'll think I've definitely gone mad. I seem to test myself too - I can be having a non-intrusive thought normal happy day and yet I find myself trying to goad myself into seeing if I'm going to panic or not by thinking about them. And of course, i'll set myself off again sometimes! I have a Claire Weekes tape somewhere...I must dig it out and listen to it again. The lady speaks so much sense.

Tabicat
11-09-08, 22:08
this is very helpful, as i have ocd which causes a lot of bad thoughts, and it gives me panic attacks a lot.
Tabs

Anxious_gal
11-09-08, 22:35
thanks!

Anna C
11-09-08, 23:06
Hi Veronica,

I have just ordered one of Claire Weeke's books. I have been listening to the free downloads from here, her advice is so good and she seems to know exactly how it feels to suffer from anxiety.

Thanks for your post. Anna xx

MyNameIsntRich
12-09-08, 06:48
This stuff works, the good Dr. was ahead of her time and im greatfull that she devoted so much of her life to this...

LoveMusic
14-09-08, 12:12
I ordered two of her books this week, they seem very informative.

Veronica H
21-07-11, 10:06
resurrected to bring comfort to newcomers:):bighug1:XV

cathycrumble
21-07-11, 10:42
Hi all I to have intrusive fearful thoughts especially in the mornings. Mine is about blood pressure but i think it is all from the past year as i have been through a lot marriage break up, losing my job, going in hospital, and a car crash some one ran into the back of me and i suffered whiplash. and when i went to the hospital they said I had bp and since then i have focused on the stupid bp which is keeping my nerves sensitised.

I have two of her books and she is amazing but sometimes its hard to put what she says into practice when you are in a panic thought but she has helped me soo much in the past and I always read passages which if feel will help me.

Cathy xx

cathycrumble
21-07-11, 10:44
Hi all I to have intrusive fearful thoughts especially in the mornings. Mine is about blood pressure but i think it is all from the past year as i have been through a lot marriage break up, losing my job, going in hospital, and a car crash some one ran into the back of me and i suffered whiplash. and when i went to the hospital they said I had bp and since then i have focused on the stupid bp which is keeping my nerves sensitised.

I have two of her books and she is amazing but sometimes its hard to put what she says into practice when you are in a panic thought but she has helped me soo much in the past and I always read passages which if feel will help me.

Lol I have actually typed this twice silly me lol xx

Cathy xx

cathycrumble
21-07-11, 10:47
Hi Veronica,

I have just ordered one of Claire Weeke's books. I have been listening to the free downloads from here, her advice is so good and she seems to know exactly how it feels to suffer from anxiety.

Thanks for your post. Anna xx

Anna C can you give me the site for listening to the free downloads for Claire Weekes please Thanks

Cathycrumble xx