PDA

View Full Version : Exciting News

twister
30-11-03, 12:42
A readily available anti-tuberculosis drug could also cure man's deepest, darkest phobias. Jo Revill reports

Sunday November 30, 2003
The Observer

For some, the fear can drive them out of their own home. Others have to avoid feathers, subways, glass lifts or city squares that are filled with pigeons.
Phobias appear in many shapes and forms, affecting at least a quarter of the population. But doctors believe that a cure may soon be on hand from the most unlikely quarter.

They have discovered that a drug on the market for tuberculosis helps phobics to overcome their worst fears within a week. They believe it could be the anti-phobia pill which scientists have been searching for.

Early results from trials have been greeted with some excitement. The medication, D-cycloserine, works alongside traditional talking therapy and speeds up the process through which sufferers can learn how to beat their irrational panic.

The chemical causes changes to the amygdala, the part of the brain involved in learning and memory. It involves a protein that appears to kick-start a chain of neuro chemical events that enable people to relearn what makes them scared.

'These results are very exciting,' said Michael Otto, professor of psychiatry at Harvard Medical School. 'They represent a new direction for combining medication and cognitive-behavioural approaches to psychotherapy.'

So far, the pill has been trialled in a study by Michael Davis at Emory University School of Medicine in Atlanta, Georgia. Davis took 30 acrophobics - people who are scared of heights - and put them in simulated glass lifts that appeared to go up and down. Those who had received the pill had dramatically reduced levels of fear compared with those who took a placebo.

All of them had received two sessions of psychotherapy. A small dose of D-cycloserine - 50mg - appeared as effective as the 500mg usually given to combat TB.

People with strong phobias usually receive some form of exposure therapy, where they are exposed to whatever it is that they fear, so that they can learn not to be afraid. But normally they need at least eight sessions of therapy before improvements are made, and it doesn't work for everyone.

Davis believes it could work in almost any situation where a person is very nervous, according to Chemistry and Industry magazine. 'It should help you get over whatever it is you are afraid of, as long as you face up to your fear.' Apart from phobias, it could also help people overcome their natural nervousness when learning new skills, such as snowboarding or riding.

The Atlanta team is now beginning a study looking at people with a fear of public speaking, and the Harvard group, led by Otto, is to examine whether the drug could help people who have a panic disorder, a very debilitating form of anxiety.

Theories have abounded over what phobias represent, with some speculating that they are an evolutionary throwback to a time when man had to be instinctively wary of poisonous animals or falling from a cliff.

There are three specific forms: agoraphobia, a fear of open spaces; social phobia, which affects relationships with other people; and specific phobia, dealing with particular stimuli such as spiders or birds.

Freud speculated that agoraphobics suffered because, as young children, they had feared being abandoned by unloving mothers. But modern theories suggest that it often occurs in people who tend to avoid situations that are painful or embarrassing.

The avoidance of danger is a common thread in many phobias, yet phobias about cars, which cause more death and injury than anything else, are unheard of. But inherently disgusting creatures, such as slugs and cockroaches, may relate to an innate avoidance of creatures that would be dangerous to eat, or that might be harmful. Some research suggests there is a genetic predisposition to phobias: identical twins who live apart can independently develop fears such as claustrophobia.

One of the most common is arachnophobia, but sufferers don't all take it

benoo5
30-11-03, 15:41
thanks emily,

scientists all over the world,are currently working on cures...its only a matter of time... bryan.

diana
30-11-03, 18:24
Hiya Emily,

WOW!!!! interesting ey? Thanks for the information. Sounds promising, I hope that they find it does work on anxiety/panic. That would be awesome to know that there is a "CURE" for this ugly monster. Take care, thanks again for the info.

Diana xxx

uryjm
30-11-03, 19:38
I just hope I'm not too scared to take it.

Jim

diana
01-12-03, 04:05
Hey Jim,

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!! I got a big kick out of that statement. I had not even thought of that. How true, sad but very true. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Diana xxxx

sarap
01-12-03, 16:02
Too true, Jim.
Sara x

nomorepanic
01-12-03, 22:03
I will be too scared cos I get every side effect going!!

Nicola

twister
02-12-03, 13:25
but you only have to take it for 3 weeks! and then drive lots or spend lots of time on the tube and flying;)

Emily

diana
02-12-03, 14:12
Hiya Emily,

You only have to take it for 3 weeks, then you are cured "FOREVER"? I will definitely be taking it, scared or not!!!! LOL............

Diana xxx

Laurie28
02-12-03, 14:28
LOL JIM THAT STATEMENT IS SOOO TRUE!!!

twister
02-12-03, 21:14
yep Diana, they reckon that it forms new neural pathways and you are changed FOREVER.

Emily

diana
02-12-03, 22:56
Hey Emily,

That`s cool, I would fight through the anxiety to take it. If just to feel normal again. Thanks for the info.

Diana xxx

becez
09-12-03, 10:12
Hi,
That's amazing.Kindly let all of us know,if some do take this medicine about how you feel and could someone please tell me that is this medicine is already available in the market.

Bye.
AK

Ak

diana
09-12-03, 18:34
Hiya AK,

I know the medication is readily available on the market in the US, with a prescription of course. I hope this information helps out.

Take care,

Diana xxx

Meg
09-12-03, 18:43
Really Diana ?

'Early results from trials have been greeted with some excitement'

'The Atlanta team is now beginning a study looking at people with a fear of public speaking, and the Harvard group, led by Otto, is to examine whether the drug could help people who have a panic disorder, a very debilitating form of anxiety.'

Not for this indication yet, the last I heard, as the pivitol trials haven't been done yet or a licence applied for - for this indication.

I guess you could ask a friendly or internet doc to prescribe it for you though - cough a bit and smudge an xray ! AK - you could prescribe your own and tell us how it goes.Only kidding .

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

diana
09-12-03, 22:40
Hi Meg,
Yes it is available in the US, of course like I mentioned before with a valid prescription. After seeing the information on here, I contacted a local pharmacy and spoke with the pharmicist to ask. She told me it is available, but I would like to know how others do on it for these purposes before trying it myself. LOL.....:)
It would be interesting to know how someone does after taking it for a spell for anxiety/panic disorder. If anyone gets their hands on it, and tries it, post and let us know how you do on it. If you are able LOL....... :) Just kidding, I`m sure a body would be able to post something. LOL....

Diana