PDA

View Full Version : understanding please if just from someone

Granny Primark
11-09-08, 19:50
We came back off holiday to be told the next day that one of our 3 terrier cross dogs had bitten the next door neighbour.
Then we got told by the other neighbour that another one of our dogs had bitten her.
Both our neighbours had been reaching over our property at the time they bit them.
Weve had dogs for almost 30 years and now cus we fear that our dogs could bite strangers weve paid for them to go the dogs home.
Omg im so ridden with guilt. But the dogs home have promised to find them good homes. I cant risk my grandaughter getting bit by them. Or anyone for that matter
Perhaps its cus we treated them like children,
What a dilemma this has put us through this week. Just when i felt i was on the mend this has hurt me so much that i cant sleep or eat.

kazzie
11-09-08, 20:28
Awwww Lynn:hugs:

I cant offer any advice Im afraid just wanted to send you some:hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

Kaz x x x:hugs:

diane07
11-09-08, 20:35
Aww lynn,

How awful for you, and a brave decision, that must have been so difficult for you to do.
I totally understand why you did it and i would have done exactly the same thing. So try not to beat yourself up hun. you have done it for the sake of your granddaughter, you've prevented any harm coming to her and to me that makes you a bl**dy marvellous woman.

But you're entitled to grieve also.

Big hugs to you lynn

di xx

its all good
11-09-08, 20:37
Am sorry to hear this, i know what its like when u lose a pet cause they r like part of ur family. Am sure the dogs home will take gud care of them like they promised. For what its worth i think u made the rite decision. I know u said they were always gud natured but sumthin must have made them react the way they did and u wud neva be able to live with urself if summat did happen to ur grandaughter. Keep ur chin up xx

Karen
11-09-08, 21:19
Sorry to hear this Lynn. Sending you some hugs :hugs:

Karen xx

Hope 2
11-09-08, 21:57
Hi Lynn

That took real guts. I understand why you had to do it also. We recently got our dog from a dogs home and the vetting procedure was so maticulous, take comfort in this if you can.

Every time you see the little un, remind yourself you did the right thing :flowers: xx

Chin up chuck, find peace with this now.

Julia xx

pinkpiglet
11-09-08, 22:06
We had to take or dog to the canine defence league when we had no other choice. It was hard having to leave him as he was eight years old and we'd had him from been a pup. However, the place was fantastic, the staff were true dog lovers and it was full of happy dogs. Their motto is 'we never put an healthy dog down'. They ask everything there is to know about your dog and then they match it up to the perfect family. You can request to be able to visit the dog if you so wish (we chose not to - too painful). They keep you updated on how the dog is doing for about six months afterwards, ie, the family they are placed with and how they have settled in etc... etc..

I HOPE THIS HELPS!!
HAVE A HUG COS YOU DESERVE ONE:bighug1:

titchjd
11-09-08, 22:07
Hiya Lynn heres a big hug 4 u :bighug1: xx

I agree with Hope regarding maticulous vetting at dogs homes ....my auntie only has dogs from dog homes and she says its not just come in and take a dog they do make sure they go 2 good homes .

It was a very very brave and difficult decision 4 u 2 make ..but u have 2 think how would you feel if you kept them and they nipped yr grandaughter .

big hugs 4 u xxx

Titchjd xxxxxxx

Granny Primark
12-09-08, 08:17
Thanks so much for your support and reassurance.
I havent been the easiest person to live with this week. Ive snapped and been nasty to my family. Its been so hard living with the guilt.
I was so happy and chilled on holiday and now my anxiety is back with avengence.
I couldnt look at my dogs on Tuesday let alone say goodbyeto them.
Sally was 12, Jack was 7 and jacks son Tyson was 4.
Its going take time to adjust to not having them around.

titchjd
12-09-08, 08:33
Hi Lynn.....

I understand how your anxiety would be so high with something like this ,what you have to think is that even a person without an anxiety condition would feel high anxiety so remember this is normal feelings and not unnecessary anxiety ..therefore you will get back to the chilled you with time .

Dont feel guilty m8 you did the right thing by putting your family 1st esp grandaughter .

Big big hugs

Titchjd xxxxxxxxxxxxx:bighug1:

yorkylover
12-09-08, 13:07
Hi Lynn,firstly I would just like to say the neighbour's shouldn't have been leaning over the fence.The dog will naturally protect his property.So they were in the wrong and this is probably why it snapped.

I think being that they were 12,7 and 4 if there was a risk of them biting stranger's it would have happend before now.

Im sorry you had to make this very difficult choice.:hugs:

milly jones
12-09-08, 16:33
hunny i cant imagine what ur feeling and have nothing that i can say to offer comfort

only that im sending hugs and hope that ull feel easier soon

milly xxxx

Pickle
12-09-08, 19:26
Hi GP, like Kazzie I cant offer any advice but wanted to give you a hug

:hugs: :hugs:

xx

anxious
12-09-08, 21:45
:hugs: Lynn,

can't imagine how you are feeling,

love anx xx

kendo59
14-09-08, 19:02
I believe the law states that if your dog bites someone on your property, then any action toward the dog is up to the owner.
If the attack happens on public property, then the police can get a court order to put the dogs down.
So, if the dogs were in your garden and the neighbours reached over, you don't have to get rid of your dogs.
The incidents occurred on your own property, so it is the neighbours fault for 'trespassing'.
Did you leave the dogs at home while you were on holiday, so who was looking after them?
Did you ask the neighbours to reach over the fence, to feed them?

Maybe putting a higher fence might be an option, so the neighbours can't interfere with your dogs.?

I'd never leave a dog alone with a small child in any case, so it wouldn't be difficult to put the dogs in the garden when visitors came.

honeybee3939
14-09-08, 21:40
Hi Lynn

Im sorry hun i have only just caught up with your post, im real sorry to hear about your dogs:hugs: . I no this will be real hard for you , i remember many years ago we had a doberman and i didnt trust it with my girls when they where little so i took it to the dogs home too, it broke my heart so i can understand what you must be going through. The dogs home was real good though the let me ring everyday and eventullly they found my dog a lovely home on a farm.

Last year after my old dog passed away, i decided to visit the dogs homes to rehome a new one. We visited quite a few homes and i was really suprised how well the animals where cared for. The people who run these places are animal lovers hun and im sure they will do all they can to love and care for them and find them a new home where they will be loved.

Thinking of you Lynn and sending you hugs:hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

Andrea
xxxxxx

alexis
14-09-08, 21:52
Sending you great big hugs, Ive just lost one of my cats after 18 years and was heartbroken, Ive had a dog for 7 and cant imagine being without them, I got him from a rescue centre and trust me,they are strict, they check the home first and only let you take certain ones which they think will match, so rest assured, your dogs will be very well cared for,xxxx