PDA

View Full Version : FLYING - Does Diazepam work????

Laura xx
21-05-05, 08:06
I am going on holiday next week and have a three hour flight.

I am also four months pregnant. The last time I flew was 7 years ago, and I had numerous panic attacks on the flight and ended up with an oxygen mask and crew asking if there was a Doctor on board.

My Doctor has given me 5mg Diazepam to take - 2 the day before I fly (one morning, one evening) and one to take half an hour before flight.

Does anyone know if these will help?

Desperate for any feedback.

Thank you

Laura xx

linjane
21-05-05, 08:15
Hi Laura,
Where are you going nice?
I'm not sure if diazepam works but would be interested to find out as we're planning to go away next month and I'm petrified of flying too. I'd be much happier going to Cornwall in the car.lol
How are you doing? You sound more positive. The holiday will do you good too.
Take care, PM me if you want to talk,
Love, Linda.x

Meg
21-05-05, 10:03
Laura,

Now you now a lot more about panic attacks and what to do and what not to do. You don't need oxygen, when you hyperventilate you take in too much oxygen, a paper bag is more appropriate. Take an emergency bag of distraction items to help you through.

They will help. If you're starting to feel kicking, you may feel less as babe will be sedated too.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

fran1888
21-05-05, 10:10
Yes Laura they do work..Ive been on and of them for three years.. So you will be okay they are good....hope you enjoy your holiday...

Frances Gill
Love & Respect to you all...

kairen
21-05-05, 10:39
hi laura,

so glad you posted that i go away the 1st june and am petrified, i am just trying to put it to the back of my mind at moment, but i can feel it creeping up ahhh,

last time i had to come out of airport at the check in, but i just kept thinking of my girls so had to do it,

Im sure having found this site and all the help i have had will be in my mind so hopefully i will be fine on the day (fingers crossed)

good luck xx

kairen x

florence
21-05-05, 10:50
Hi Laura

I had my first flight last october and I was terrified, I took diazepam 5mg just before and it took the edge off....so yeah it helps a lot.
Once above the clouds, I felt much better, happy and enjoyed the view [8D]. Best experience in my life.
Hope you enjoy it and have a great time wherever you're going.

Florence.

**Don't believe everything you think .**

nutter
21-05-05, 13:17
Hi, my mum had to take Diazapam before she went into hospital as she was terrified of them. It is a good muscle relaxant and will help as 5mg is what she had to take. It will not take the fear away as such but will relax you enough for it to be not a big problem.
Try to focus on the fantastic time you will have when you land there and not on the flight as nothing bad will happen. For the journey home, remember the fantastic time you had, try to chat all about the fun you had, whilst you are doing this there is less time for you to worry. Sounds pretty crap when you cacking it but try and talk positively out of the fear. Enjoy your holiday!!!!!

henri
21-05-05, 16:41
hey laura,
the diazepam will definitely help you relax - make sure you drink lots of water and have something to do to keep you distracted - book, walkman, whatever.
going anywhere nice?
henri

bluebottle
21-05-05, 18:42
Lorazepam is a stronger version but doesn't stay in the system as long as Diazepam.

Just be careful as these drugs are highly addictive.

--
Blue
"to hope till Hope creates from its own wreck the thing it contemplates"

sal
22-05-05, 02:18
As an emergency they can help loads so dont be afraid to take one if you feel you really need it. But remember you are going on holiday and however long the flight is it is taking you to a chilled out climate that is so different to home life, that is how i look at it if i start to panic.

Best of luck and have a great holiday Laura.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

sal
23-05-05, 23:05
Laura

Hope you have a great holiday and really relax and enjoy it.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

Noidea
16-08-11, 13:21
Fear not. Diazepam will solve your problem, to the extent you could even look forward to the trip. I have flown the globe over the last 20 years. Hated the concept on every occasion, being quite an extreme claustaphobic. My fear for days before the flight were often crippling and consumed every though in my mind. However, taking Diazepam an hour or two before the flight, in my case a 20mg chunk, completely numbs the fear, while the numbin effect is in place I can actually relax and look forward to getting comfy in my aircraft seat, grabbing a tea and looking forward to the final destination. Unless you dose yourself on Diazepam you would never believe the physical & psycological (positive ) effect it has. I would rather not have to rely on pills, but if it gets me places without mental anguish, I'm delighted to have that option. So, take the pills, you will relax and do enjoy the trip. only drawback I've found is next day you fell a bit groggy/lethargic, but a small price to pay to get you to nice places comfortably and bury the demons. Enjoy x

I am going on holiday next week and have a three hour flight.

I am also four months pregnant. The last time I flew was 7 years ago, and I had numerous panic attacks on the flight and ended up with an oxygen mask and crew asking if there was a Doctor on board.

My Doctor has given me 5mg Diazepam to take - 2 the day before I fly (one morning, one evening) and one to take half an hour before flight.

Does anyone know if these will help?

Desperate for any feedback.

Thank you

Laura xx