PDA

View Full Version : Ectopic heartbeats and potassium

countrygirl
13-09-08, 09:43
For past 25 yrs I have had constant ectopic heartbeats sometimes its every 3rd beat. I have never had a day where I have not noticed them and at bad times which could last for months it would be every 3rd beat. Have had endless heart tests - 24 ecg every 3 years plus hospital admission to monitor them and ultrasound of heart and told always that they are pvc's and completely harmless just unpleasant!!

About 18 mnths ago a hospital Dr told me that my potassium level was at very bottom of normal - she asked me if I had any funny heartbeats!!!!!!!!!!!
She explained that in some people who are sensitive to potassium levles if their level gets below 4 then they get ectopic heartbeats. She suggested I eat a banana a day and see if they improve.

Unbelievable - one banana a day and I only notice about 2 funny heartbeats a day but if I stop the bananas then after about 2 weeks they are back with a vengeance.

Trouble is bananas give me terrible wind and ibs! Does anyone know what other food is as rich in potassium as bananas that I could eat instead???

LeeBee
13-09-08, 10:18
Hi countrygirl - it's great that your ectopics are being helped just by adding more potassium to your diet! I think there's also a lot of potassium in avocados (yum) and tomatoes. You could make a nice salad out of those :).