PDA

View Full Version : They do pass

Chant
13-09-08, 20:29
There is something I would like to share with everyone. When I'm having a panic attack, I think to myself "It will pass". This helps me alot and makes the panic go away.
I have had panic attacks for years on and off. I should know by now that they are only panic attacks. Letting them happen makes them go away! If I show the panic monster that I am not scared it goes away and is no longer intersted in me.:yesyes:

nic x
13-09-08, 21:07
chant, thats what im learning to do, but its soooooooo hard!!!! i also have suffered for years, its no longer the fear im goin to die, its the fear of im goin mad, losing it!! how can u stay calm enough to say it will pass, when mine come i totally fight them to go away, i no this is wrong but just cant sit there and say it will pass, how do u do it?:shrug:

Chant
14-09-08, 12:34
Hey there!
I never said it was easy! LOL! But it takes time and practice. Belive me I'm no expert. Sometimes it works and sometimes I freak out a bit. But the more we fight it the more we get nervous and the stronger the panic attack gets. This is what I have read in sevral books. We have to learn to longer be afraid of them. It takes time! Sometimes I say" OK panic monster come and get me! Is that the best you can do?" Sometimes it goes away! Sometimes I don't really belive what I'm saying and the PM knows it!

pinkpiglet
14-09-08, 13:16
I too learnt how to talk myself out of a panic attack. Going back a few years after a dreadful spell of anxiety i realised that i could recognise the signs of a brewing attack so i would start to talk myself out of it. I still arent sure how i do it, it's like a mind over matter thing i suppose. Only thing is that now i get those disorientated feelings (spaced out) in place of the attacks. Its better than that feeling of impending doom and sheer panic where i couldnt get my breath though (still get those very occasionally but no where near as bad).

'i suppose that if you live with the devil long enough you learn what makes
him tick'

:sign20: