PDA

View Full Version : this site has been a godsend

bigbaz2005
21-05-05, 19:45
Hi I am a 33yr old male. Had mild sysmptons of panic last year but put them down to the fact I have mild hypertension, but they stopped when I started exercising and lost weight.

Six weeks ago I had been out in the evening, not drunk any alcohol. Chest was a bit tight, and was midly worried they maybe my blood pressure was rising again, or that I had inherited the 'family heart desease. Then on the tram on the way home, I feinted, and some kind bloke, found me on the floor, helped me off the tram and called an ambulance. A&E were useless and said it was probably due to not eating properly that day, even though my blood sugar was normal. Next day, got on tram, and felt really light headed again. Went one stop, got off and then felt fine. Walked to work next day, lasted 3 hours and then felt really unwell. Some way took me home and I took rest of week off. Saw my GP and he said probably viral! Went back to work, and symptoms came back back but faded over wekk then I went to a BBQ and felt really light headed, so walked home 1 1/2 hours feeling like I was going to pass out every 10 minutes or so, because I was too scared to get on tram. Got home, sysmptoms didnt pass so i called an ambulance. A&E useless again and said to see my GP. Not worked since, been feeling light headed evey day and getting palpatations, usually when I am out, especially in shops, but sometimes just at home in front of TV. On Thursday I had enough and went back A&E. This time doctor was fantastic, explained possible causes, either panic or heart arythmia(unlikely). Admitted me, to do some overnight tests, and fit me with a portable ECG. While in hospital, felt fine, probably as I knew that if something did happen I was in the best place. Anyway, since discovered this site, and it has been such a relief. While I appreciate that this could be caused by a heart problem, consultant said unlikely, especially as when i was due to leave this hospital felt really dizzy again, and they put me on a monitor then and found nothing. They have given me a very low dose beta-blocker as my blood pressure is marginally high and I am now wearing a portable ECG for 5 days. If this turns out to be a heart problem, I would just like to say that this site has still been a huge help in showing just how physical the symptoms of stress and worry can be, as I am sure the fear that I have a serious illness have made my symptoms far worse. If it does turn out to be panic, this site as helped to show me that each attack will pass, and then its very unlikely I will feint again.

Sorry to go on, but its such a relief to get this off my chest
Many Thanks

Emmie
21-05-05, 19:52
Hiya and welcome to the site! I'm sure you will find reassurance and support here! Sounds like you've had a pretty hard time- i can understand how you feel. Ive had a similar thing-feeling worse on public transport, shops etc and having all those tests (scans, ecg, eeg....). The mind is a pretty powerful thing and i think a lot of people underestimate that! You are taking a positive step by seeking support and hopefully you will get some peace of mind from the tests you are having done. Have you been feeling any better since you have had the monitor? I had a 24 hour one and the day i had it i didnt feel dizzy! lol (i usually get really bad dizziness every day!)
I hope you start to feel better soon. Take care.

Em xx

sal
22-05-05, 01:56
Hi and welcome to the site.

It is hard accepting that is it anxiety as the symptoms feel so much more than that, but realising what anxiety is about you will understand that we can feel everything and not understand it and it makes us feel a lot worse until we meet others that can appreciate and understand how we feel.

Hope we can help you and that you know you are not alone at all.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

seh1980
22-05-05, 10:56
Welcome aboard!! :D

henri
22-05-05, 19:38
hi there,
welcome to the site! sorry you've had such a miserable time of it - don't forget, as sal says, that you are not alone.
henri

pinkscrumpy
22-05-05, 19:59
hello

Everything you describe is exactly like many of us have felt and worked through at sometime. I am sure it is nothing serious and hope you will let us all know the outcom

MANDIE XX

Meg
22-05-05, 21:32
Bas,

If this turns out to be anxiety you, with a tendency to faint will need to really work on your breathing technique as it is likely that you will respond the in each stressful situation with either hyperventilation or the reverse and we don't want you fainting all over the place.

If your event monitor turns out to be negative I highly recommend that you find yourself a yoya, Tai chi, meditation teacher and get a session of 1:1 abdominal breathing, box breathing and alternate nostril breathing so you learn that you can control your stress response and thus the subsequent light head and prevent fainting.

I hope someone went through with you the physiology of why you fainted if it wasn't an arrythmia or syncope.

First Steps to overcoming Panic and Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=942)

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

EmmaJane
22-05-05, 22:15
Welcome to the site and good luck with your results. Let us know

Feel free to PM me, if you want to talk.

Emma xx

Keep focused, keep positive.

sal
22-05-05, 22:23
Hi Mate

You have had some good replies, please do let us know how you are getting on.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

Karen
23-05-05, 08:53
Hi Baz

Welcome to the forum.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

bigbaz2005
23-05-05, 13:18
Thanks for all the replies. Dont think its syncope, as had blood pressure measured immeadiatley after two attacks, and it was a little high if anything, and they took it sitting, standing and laying down, and there wasnt much difference. Also the two worse attacks I have had, have been while I was sitting down.

The beta-blockers certainly seem to have taken the edge off, went out yesterday for over 2 hours, and fell a little rough a couple of times, but passed very quickly.

The ECG thing is funny, there is a little button to press on it if I feel really unwell and up to Friday would have felt like that every day but since I have had it on, no need to press the button!!

thanks for everyones advice, I certainly feel a lot more upbeat than I did this time last week

Meg
23-05-05, 13:31
So that in itself says an awful lot !