PDA

View Full Version : Sudden panic attacks. advice?

bindyx0x0
14-09-08, 23:25
I never had a panic attack until I was 20.. took a test and freaked out during it. I would have them maybe once or twice a year.. then recently I've been getting them ALOT. As in, I felt totally 100% fine until Labor day weekend 2 weeks ago. Then suddenly panic hit me like a mack truck.
I just started 2 new jobs and moved and now I've been feeling anxious constantly, and been having panic attacks everywhere - at work, at home, laying in my bed. im scared to leave the house and imscared of life. im scared to live and be in pain. I've been run down and nervous and scared. My stomachehurts and I feel achy and tired and hot and stuffy. And I start one of those new jobs TOMORROW.
So I went to the doctor today and he prescribed Lexapro for everyday and Xanax for whenever I have an episode. I feel a little better knowing that im on a medication, though I started it today. I was on lexapro a few years ago for regular depression. im not classically depressed anymore, just anxious as hell. I dont want to work, I dont want to even be awake. I just want to move back home and sleep the rest of my life away. I have no appetite or desire to go out and do anything. I want to die (I am not suicidal though) naturally, right now, and go home to God so I'm not in pain anymore.
Do you think Lexapro will help me? This is the worst I've ever felt in my whole life and I am scared out of my mind. Please give me any advice you may have. Thank you.

Mikke
15-09-08, 01:45
The medication will help you, but it can take up to 4-6 weeks before you start feeling better (though the physiological effect kicks in after about 7 days).

Because cognitive therapy is so effective in treating panic, it's reasonable to suggest that changing your thoughts will also change your feelings. What you think is what makes how you feel.
This isn't easy to figure out on your own and without a trained therapist, but you will propably be able to see that you are thinking in terms of catastrophy when you experience physical symptoms (which are in fact harmless), and this leads to your anxiety attack.
Your heart beats faster - you think it's something horrible going on - you get scared - and the heart beats even faster. It's a vicious cykle.
To break out of it you must realize that it's the cognitive component (the thought of a fast heartbeat beeing dangerous) that should be altered.

Zotamis
15-09-08, 04:45
Hello. I am also on Lexapro and it takes a week or so to take affect. But I like it than Zoloft.