PDA

View Full Version : So glad I found this website...

Suz
22-05-05, 03:57
Hi Everyone. My name is Suz and I am so thankful that I found this website. It is so nice to read what other people have been going through. It has really made me feel a lot better. I have been having what I think (and almost hope) to be anxiety attacks and just anxiety symptoms for about the last year. It started about 1 week after my daughter was born in 2004. My son was already almost 3 1/2 when she was born, and I had been having some developmental concerns about him since he was a little bit over 2 1/2, but during the pregnancy, I just kind of shoved them down. After my first panic attack (which at first I thought was something awful happening as a result of my c-section or some crazy post-partum illness) I began to realize every worry that I had ever had about my 3 year old(who is now 4) . Shear panic came rushing over me. I was just completely overwhelmed. Fear and panic first thought in the morning, and last thought before bed. My son is still having difficulties. H is such a sweet and wonderful kid and I love him soooo much. He is in a special- ed pre-school now and will be attending a school designed for Autistic children in the fall. We have not had a diagnosis as of yet, but we're pretty sure he falls somewhere on that "spectrum". Even though I know that this is at the heart (no punn intended) of my anxiety, I can't help but worry about my health. I am scared to even go to the doctor because I just can't even think about them telling me something is wrong with me and I won't be there for my kids. Sometimes I'm a wreck, and sometimes I'm fine. Anyway, that's more about me than you probably cared to know, but that's my deal. Thanks for all of your great posts. Hope to get to know you soon.

seh1980
22-05-05, 10:55
hello Suz,

Welcome to the forum!! What you have does sound like panic attacks. I would suggest that you see a doctor as panic attacks are quite common and he/she will be able to offer you help and advice..

Sarah :D

florence
22-05-05, 11:03
Hi Suz

Welcome to the forum, you'll have great support here, and most probably you'll find people with similar experiences.
Take care.
Florence.

**Don't believe everything you think .**

Piglet
22-05-05, 13:22
Welcome Suz [8D]

Love Piglet

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

carlin
22-05-05, 15:01
Hi Suz,
So glad you have found this site, there are so many likeminded people who will help and advise you, take care and keep in touch xx

alexis
22-05-05, 16:00
Hi Suz, welcome to the site where I know you will receive lots of wonderful advice.
I understand about your son, my son was the same age when I had my daughter and he also had/has special needs.
Also I work with children with autism and have received training in it,I feel I have the perfect job,so i understand about autism and the things that go with it. It sounds like you have got the right education for him so he will go forwards.
I think as long as you are busy with the kids you forget about yourslef sometimes.
Like Sarah says, go and get a diagnosis for your anxiety because it may make you feel better, and give you reassurance about your health.
Welcome and Take care Love Alexis

bethyboo
22-05-05, 18:58
hello there, dont u worry about telling ur doctor becuase there is nothing wrong with u other than what u have already recognised.anxiety and panick attacks. but it will do u so much good to just get it out and he will help!!!! ui wil probably be offered medication or councilling. my eldest son was 2 when i was first diagnosed and i went into my doctors ina complete state of anxiety, had reached the point where i was completely detatched from reality aND JUST STATED THAT I HAD GONE MAD LOL! I THOUGHT HE WAS GOING TO SECTION ME and take my son off me but he just sympathised and just diagnosed me. he offered me lots of help and advice. it is always hard when u are on ur own with children. my eldest is 8 now and sufferes froma form of tourettes, not the swearing from, he has constant ticks and screams repeatedly, he si also very hyperactive. it is hard going but we all do a great job and part of the anxiety comes from the fact that we dont just cope but we feel that we HAVE to. there is no shame in asking for help and sometimes our pride stops us but once its there, youll wish u had done it sooner, lotsa of love beth xx

beth xx

henri
22-05-05, 19:22
hi suz,
welcome to the site! i think that realising and accepting that you are experiencing panic attacks is half the battle - now you can take steps to deal with it positively.
take care
henri

pinkscrumpy
22-05-05, 19:39
Hi Suz and welcome

I am a qualified special needs teacher. If I can be of any help with anything that you don't feel comfortable asking face to face please feel free to ask here or PM me

Loads of love

MANDIE XX

Meg
22-05-05, 21:38
Hello Suz,

What a wealth of suport you've got from people here who really know about what you're going through.

What you describe is very common post partum and with some work will dissipate.

You do not have anything dire , your symptoms describe simple anxiety so you can discuss with your doctor. You need some support and understanding and maybe some counselling.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

EmmaJane
22-05-05, 22:11
welcome suz

Feel free to PM me, if you want to talk.

Emma xx

Keep focused, keep positive.

sal
22-05-05, 22:25
Hi Suz

Welcome to the site and i hope we can be a great support to you.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

Karen
22-05-05, 22:52
Hi Suz

Welcome to the forum.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

kairen
23-05-05, 13:27
Hi Suz,

welcome to the site,

I think you should have a trip to the docs, you have nothing to lose, most docs now are so good with things like this,

you have had a lot to deal with and maybe you need to put yourself first on this one,

take care

kairen x

Suz
27-05-05, 02:34
Thank you all so much for your sweet words and support. It's nice to be able to really talk to people who understand what I'm going through. I love my husband to death, but I don't think that he really gets this. I've always been such a strong person and these days I'm sort of goofy. Not all the time or anything, and when I'm not thinking about how my heart is beating or how my son is doing, or if this or that weird pain is going to get worse, and the baby's not crying, I'm fine. (hee hee). Thanks again.

Di Jackson
27-05-05, 09:21
Suz, hello. I really feel for you worrying about not being there for your kids as that is one of my fears, but do go to the doctors as it will help to put your mind at rest. I am a fine one to advise that - my husband wanted me to go but I was too ashamed, I felt I should cope alone.
One thing that did help me, althought it seems a bit mordid, was making a will so that some very dear friends who have similar parenting styles to us, and who the kids love, would be their guardians.
Also you may feel better when you have a definate diagnosis for your son.

take care,
Di