PDA

View Full Version : Citlopram

suzuki
22-05-05, 07:45
Please excuse the spelling of the medication i've been prescribed to help me with my anxiety. I took two halfs over two days i.e(10mg each day) but on both occasions i felt sick for 3 hours and stopped because of the side effects i also felt more tense and very agitated. Should i start again and will it get better? I keep thinking maybe i should have persevered a bit longer. Sue [:O]

florence
22-05-05, 14:20
Hi Suzuki

It is very common for anti-depressants to give side effects in the first couple of weeks, as it's changing chemicals in your brains, it affects your body/mind responses.
Those side effects usually settle and then you may feel better within 6-8 weeks ( average ), altho its different from person to person.
If you think you're able to deal with it, maybe you could stick with it and see how you get on in a few weeks time. I know how uncomfortable side effects can be , but they're not harmful.
My father had a course of anti-depressant ( venlafaxine or effexor ) in the past, for about a year, and he had side effects for maybe 3 weeks, including sickness, dizziness, etc etc, but he felt much better after that.
I hope that helps.
Take care.
Florence.

**Don't believe everything you think .**

LisaD
24-05-05, 02:59
Hi Sue,

I am on Citalopram, and also felt VERY ill when I first started taking them. Felt like I was going to throw up constantly for the first 3 days (leading to anxiousness of course), then it settled into mild nausea for the next week and a bit. I got through it with Pepto Bismol, ginger ale, and making sure that I took it with food (this is very important!!). But it did get better, and I never get nauseous anymore, even when I take it on an empty stomach. You just need to give your body a little while to get used to it....I know its a rough start, but Citalopram has been a godsend for me, so I would recommend that you give it another try (maybe start it on a weekend so not such a bother if it upsets your stomach again?). But of course all people react differently, so if the side-effects persist for more than 1 month, you should discuss it with your GP. Hope this helps Sue, feel free to contact me if you'd like to talk about this some more.

Lisa

kairen
24-05-05, 10:37
Hi Suz,

I have taken citrolapram on and off for years and yes when u start taking it you do feel a bit worse hightened anxiety etc but just for a few days with me it started to work very quickly which is why i have always gone back to it and i had no side effects when i came of it,

give it another try and give it a good week for all the nasty side effects to go,

hope it goes ok good luck xx

kairen x

seh1980
24-05-05, 10:48
hi Sue,

Meds can make you feel ill and sometimes more anxious for the first week or so. It is after that that you will start to feel the positive effects. Try taking it with food as this shoud help you feel less ill. I would definitely give it another go..

Sarah :D

skibba
08-06-05, 10:47
Hi,
I have been on citalopram on and off for about 3 years. I started my current course back in november when my panic attacks started. For the first 3 weeks i felt very ill with heightened anxiety and more frequent panic. Things DID improve and im now on 40mg a day with no side effects. Im sure you will find things easier as time goes on.

chez
14-10-08, 18:40
hi sue. ive just started the same tablets as u and i fill really ill taking them but im going to stick with it and hopefully will feel better in a few weeks but i know how you fill your not alone :) take carexxxx

chez
20-10-08, 23:09
hello ive been taking citalopram for 8days today i must say im more relaxed about things. the only problem i have is in the mornings i sleep most of the night which is great :) when i wake up in the morning im very nervos and fill like i got loads of butterflys in my stomick and my heart races. i take my 20mg tablet at 10am after about an hour my nevosness has gone. but i still feel anxious and the back of my head feels tight? is this normal ive been told it is but just want to make sure again. i only have the tight feeling in my head through the day and by night time its gone. does this mean the tablets are working? i no they can take up to months to work. thank you for any answers would help me alot. take care. and this forum has helped me loads :) xxxx

jocutts
21-10-08, 17:48
Hi, I have been on 20mg citalopram for 3 yrs i had really bad side effects,increased anxiety,sickness,leg shakes and it did last about 6 weeks but after all this died down it really helped. I feel that if i wasn't on them i would be alot worse than i am they really keep me going.
So don't give up, persevere!!.x

bumbles
21-10-08, 18:17
I am on day 18 of these and it has been a really rough ride, they have made me more anxious more depressed, gave me terrible panic attacks and increased my OCD, sick, tummy runs and my doc says dont give up they are brilliant just have to ride the early days best as you can. I have OCD and I know that if I dont take these now before it gets out of control I will be sorry. Other sri's have worked really well I am hoping these will too.:bighug1: