PDA

View Full Version : Persistent SSRI sexual side effects

Vornan
22-05-05, 19:53
Hi,

For some people the sexual side effects of SSRIs are persistent, DO NOT GO AWAY AFTER QUITTING THE DRUGS, and can last a long time.

A new Yahoo discussion group is for people with such long-term side effects, which include low libido, erectile dysfunction, absent, delayed, or dulled orgasm, emotional blunting and secondary depression:

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/ssrisex/

We would like to discover the reason for this persistent dysfunction and find a cure. In some men and women, it appears as though low testosterone is a possible cause.

Disturbances in dopamine and other neurotransmitters such as acetylcholine, GABA, and oxytocin also appear to be causative.

Vornan

seh1980
22-05-05, 19:57
hello Vornan,

Yes, many people (myself included) have this when on SSRIs. I didn't know that it could last so long once coming off the meds..

Sarah :D

vernon
22-05-05, 20:26
sarah lol dont smile, Gee When i first looked quick at this post i thought it was me :(

seh1980
22-05-05, 20:38
aaaawwwww Vern :(

EmmaJane
22-05-05, 20:43
Ahh, now thats answers a few questions for me LOL

Feel free to PM me, if you want to talk.

Emma xx

Keep focused, keep positive.

Vornan
22-05-05, 21:31
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">hello Vornan,

Yes, many people (myself included) have this when on SSRIs. I didn't know that it could last so long once coming off the meds..

Sarah :D

<div align="right">Originally posted by seh1980 - 22 May 2005 : 18:57:27</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

Hi Sarah,

So you see an immediate reversal to normal functioning when you quit SSRIs? This seems to be the case for most people, but in an unfortunate minority (myself included) the side effects can last long after you quit. In my case I used celexa (cipramil in UK) for two years, quit 18 months ago, but my libido has been low ever since. Also weaker orgasms/sensitivity. I've corresponded with some people who still have sexual side effects 5-10 years after getting off SSRIs.

Vornan

seh1980
22-05-05, 21:33
You poor people!! My sex life isn't what it once was but it's not THAT bad..:D

Vornan
22-05-05, 21:38
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">You poor people!! My sex life isn't what it once was but it's not THAT bad..:D

<div align="right">Originally posted by seh1980 - 22 May 2005 : 20:33:02</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

You mean you may have been adversely effected in the long-term but only mildly?

Vornan

sal
22-05-05, 23:13
Sarah

I know the tablets can affect how you feel with regard to your sex life i went through it with Graham.

Isnt nice and at times i felt i wasnt normal, but then again am i LOL

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

seh1980
23-05-05, 10:29
lol Sal

Yes Vornan, that's pretty much it

Vornan
23-05-05, 16:53
I think most people are effected in the long-term, but either they don't say anything, or when they mention it to their doctor, they are told it's "all in your head".

How long have you been off medications?

Vornan

bluebottle
23-05-05, 19:58
Thanks, I've signed up.

--
Blue
"to hope till Hope creates from its own wreck the thing it contemplates"

seh1980
23-05-05, 20:41
I've been off meds for about 4 months now..

sal
23-05-05, 23:09
I guess it takes time to get it all back into persepective and even without the meds how we have being will become habit as we all know too well that can happen.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

Vornan
23-05-05, 23:28
In my experience it is much more than habit. There is a profound influence on sexual functioning, probably neurochemical, that lasts long after the meds are discontinued. I used to have an extremely high sex drive, but now I don't have one.

Vornan

sal
23-05-05, 23:45
Hi Vornan

Guess we all feel different. The meds i never thought affected me but when i can now look back i see they did and if i had being in a normal 1 to 1 relationship i think we would have suffered.

Everyone suffers differently and i can only say how it made me feel and by judging it it did affect my sex life.

Love Sal xx

bluebottle
24-05-05, 10:46
Spoke to my GP today and he said Lustral didn't have this down as a side effect. I wonder why not!
Anyway, he said best to stay on them for now and when I'm feeling better we will reduce them. OK, I have already reached that conclusion, but being able to have an orgasm normally wouldn't half lift my mood! :D

--
Blue
"to hope till Hope creates from its own wreck the thing it contemplates"

Vornan
24-05-05, 23:52
IMHO, if you feel that the meds are essential, than stay on them. But in my experience, the longer you are on them, the greater the chance that you will develop persistent problems that may linger even after you get off them.

Vornan

sal
25-05-05, 00:06
Hi Vornan

In what you say is right but if some of us need to take medication, how much worse would it be without it.

Physically disabilities due to this are hard and so are mental ones but if the mental ones override how we feel and disadvantage that side of our like, what other choise do we have when we need medication.

To me lose it completely or miss out on the advantages of sex for a while or even longer, i know what i would choose and it would be to be more stable mentally.

Love Sal xx

Vornan
25-05-05, 00:34
if you have to take it, then i understand. but i think the drugs are vastly overprescribed, when other therapies are also effective. have you tried cbt, aerobic exercise, valerian, chamomile, relaxation response, etc? anxiety is often a product of faulty lifestyle imo. difficult to correct, but not impossible.

v

sal
25-05-05, 09:28
Hi

I appreciate totally what you are saying and i took medication as a last resort and after suffering for a long time.

I have tried alsorts in regards to counselling, herbal rememdies, chinese herbs, accupuncture, reflexology, exercise, relaxion CDs, anxiety classes, CPN and CBT. I have tried lots of the antidepressants available and some made me a lot worse, but i eventually gave citlopram a second try after a distasterous first go and with the support of a new doctor, CBT and having medication along side that things started to improve.

Love Sal xx