PDA

View Full Version : fear of doctors

Barb
22-05-05, 20:10
hi everyone
i have health anxietyalways think something is wrong with me but i cant go to see a doctor or go near a hospital or dentist optician ect. the panic of going just overwhelms me so iam constantly anxious and never seem to get any better.i am also agoraphobic and cant go anywhere on my own i have felt very depressed today but my daughter dragged me out for a drive at least.does anyone else have this fear of doctor thing? i know it sounds silly.I have just joined the forum and i think its excellant i wish i had found it years agoi am sure it is going to help me. thanks everyone.
luv BARBX

seh1980
22-05-05, 20:17
hi Barb,

Welcome!! I don't enjoy going to the doctor either. It was especially bad when I was agoraphobic!! Is there someone that you really trust who could with you to the GP?

Sarah :D

tracyp584
22-05-05, 20:19
Hey Barb,

Welcome to the site. You will find lots of support here. I too suffer with panic when i have any kind of appointment. I am also agoraphobic, which makes everything that much harder.
You will get lots of advice here! Its the best friend i've had!!!

Take care!!

tracy x x

sueiamnew
22-05-05, 20:25
Hi Barb,
Your daughter did the right thing by taking you out.
It is very scary isn,t it?
But i bet you feel bettter?
I am also very agorophobic........
Well done for going out!

Love Sue

Barb
22-05-05, 20:27
HI Sarah
it doesnt help even if my daughter comes with me the last time i made a complete fool of myself in the surgery. Barb x

Barb
22-05-05, 20:30
hi sue
how long have you been agoraphobic can you go out
luv Barb

EmmaJane
22-05-05, 20:49
Hi Barb. I suffer with the health anxiety aswell. Im not agoraphobic, although I do prefer to stay in as I feel safer?

Im the total extreem to you. I am/was permanantly up the doctors, with all symptoms from head to toe. I would worry my self sick until I saw my doctor and she confirmed there was nothing wrong, apart from good old anxiety....

Your right this website has helped me loads and im sure it will help you aswell. There is always someone to talk to and always someone who understands what you are going through.

So welcome the site and good luck in your recovery.

Feel free to PM me, if you want to talk.

Emma xx

Keep focused, keep positive.

Meg
22-05-05, 21:21
HI Barb,

Welcome. If you are very agoraphobic you might like to do the telephone course from No Panic which will help you regain the start of independence as well as taking note of what else you can do to help yourself.

**iam constantly anxious and never seem to get any better**
Nothing can change for the better until you tackle some of your underlying issues.

First Steps to overcoming Panic and Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=942)

The doctor thing will evaporate as you improve overall.

We are here to support you through making these changes..

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Piglet
22-05-05, 22:27
Hi Barb,

It's not that I don't like my doctor but I don't like going up to the surgery much, which is as much to do with having to sit waiting as anything.

Something that made me smile reading your post was my memory of my first panic attack six years ago (I didn't know it was) I lay (yes lay) on the floor in the corridor of the surgery with my best friend who was daydreaming away examining the fish tank, various people were stepping over me and no-one said a thing other than an eldery woman who said to me 'is it me next', I stopped having my mini heart seizure and said 'go ahead love' and waved her on. an utterly bizarre moment and certainly added to any depersonalisation I was feeling - felt like I'd stumbled into a parallel universe.

When the kids got home that night and asked how my day went I replied 'oh you know, just the usual stuff'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It took a few years to find it funny.

I've only had odd little bouts of agoraphobia over the last 6 years never lasting more than a couple of weeks or so, but this year since Jan I've had real trouble with it not even liking going out with the kids but making myself anyway.

Last week I did some ventures on my own up and down the road and round to friends a few minutes away. One thing I did aswell was wear a stepometer and count my unescourted steps:
569 day one
1169 day two
I'm trying to build on this bit by bit to get back to the degree of independence I had last year and meanwhile I do try to go out with my teenagers everyday if I can - and that's another story!!

Love Piglet

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

Karen
22-05-05, 22:50
Hi Barb

Welcome to the forum.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

pips
23-05-05, 11:44
Hi Barb,

A warm welcome to the Site.

I get afraid going to the doctors also. Especially when its something they can't see. Like anxiety depression etc. Its difficult. but remember it's there job and they are there to help you!

Take care and good luck on your road to recovery!

Love PIP'S XX

kairen
23-05-05, 13:18
Hi barb

welcome to the site,

Glad your daughter got you out, i bet you felt a bit better for having done it,

its all about little steps and not to give yourself a hard time your not silly those fears are terrible at the time and you cant help that,

i hope you find lots of help here

take care

kairen x

carlin
23-05-05, 15:26
Hi Barb,
Welcome, glad you have found the site, reading your post, it was as if i had written it myself, dotors, opticians, you name them, i can't deal with any of them. too scared of what i might be told, and many times can't get out to get there! Have been with this site for quite a while now, it has been wonderful, so re-assuring, knowing you are not alone, not going mad and that we can be helped. keep in touch maybe we can compare notes one day!

nomorepanic
24-05-05, 19:07
Barb

Welcome aboard.

I used to sit outside the doctor's surgery until it was my turn then I would run in and out again!!

Hope to be of some help to you.

Nicola

sal
24-05-05, 22:53
Hi Barb

I am okay at the doctors now but when i was at my worst i would sit for the appointment and if took more than 5 minutes would leave the surgery and say i had to pick Sam up, when all i wanted to do was hide away at home.

I was lucky and found a great doctor and she knows when i am feeling anxious and has offered me so much support.

It is hard worrying about seeing someone that might offer you the link to get better, so keep trying and i hope it works out for you.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

buffybot
25-05-05, 21:31
Hello and Welcome...i hope you find what you need here ;)

sal
25-05-05, 22:05
Hi Barb

Hope some of the replies have helped you. Let us know how you are getting on.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.