PDA

View Full Version : Fluoxetine! stick or twist?

pinkpiglet
16-09-08, 15:13
Righteo, i will explain as best i can without going on and on and on.
I have always suffered with anxiety (like my mum and grandad before me), it started after i had glandular fever when i was 17. My doctor refused to believe there was anything wrong with me and kept insisting my symptoms were that of anxiety, even telling my mum 'are you happy now she's followed in your footsteps?'. My mum was livid cos she didnt believe i had anxiety and felt i was more like my dad who was laid back and confident. Anyway, i took it as gospel that i had anxiety, i was too ill to argue and just wanted to lay in bed all day! Then another month down the line my spleen nearly ruptured (i was very lucky) and they discovered that i had advanced glandular fever. I had to go into hospital, then came home to 10 weeks of bed rest. Not what a 17 year old college girl needs! I finally got better but in a nutshell i have never been the same since. I began to suffer occassional panic attacks and over the years my confidence slowly began to ebb away. I have never been so bad that i needed medical help and never recieved medication. Thinking back i should have took action as sometimes it affected my work and social life. Then two and half years ago i got pregnant, i have never felt as well as i did when i was carrying my son, the anxiety went away and i took to motherhood really well. i thought i had cracked it! Then in March this year it came back with a vengeance and brought it's friend depression to visit too.
I have never ever felt so bad but i kept trying to fight it until in July i decided i needed help, and fast! I went to see my doctor and in August i started taking fluoxetine (20mg), i bought relaxation c'ds and books on cognitive behaviour therapy. I joined NMP too which i have to say as been so bloody helpful, i could kiss you all!!!
Having a 22 mth old son means i have a lot to fight for, i needed to get right for his sake aswell as my own. Anyway, five weeks down the line and i am soooooooo goooood!!!! I am back on my feet, enjoying a new job and balancing this with bringing up my son. I feel amazing, so much better than i have in months.
This brings me to my dilema! the fluoxetine!!
Should i quit whilst i am ahead, stop taking them altogether and cope without them ?( i am much stronger now) or
should i carry on for another few months just to make sure that i am fully recovered?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks for listening x :hugs:

Graz
16-09-08, 20:02
Hey pinkpiglet :)

Before stopping, definitely get your Dr's advice. Sometimes if you stop suddenly the symptoms can suddenly return worse than ever, and I'm sure that's the last thing you'd want! It's often best to reduce the dose before coming off completely.

I'm in a bit of a situation myself. I'm also taking fluoxetine, and have now been for 4 weeks. I do feel better than I did before, but I still have anxiety problems so things aren't completely better (yet!). However I don't want to stop and go back to how things were before!

bab
16-09-08, 20:12
Hey Pink

Its difficult - do you think you are better regardless of the prozac or because of it my love?

bab
16-09-08, 20:15
I was once told by a psychiatrist that for first bout of depression/ anxiety you should stay on for 6 months

pinkpiglet
16-09-08, 22:06
Yeah, i'v mused over it throughout the day and i guess i am more inclined to think that i am feeling better because of the fluoxetine. Maybe i should stick with it for a while longer as i do not want to risk opening the doors of hell again. lol
Thanx for your replies guys!

kittykat
16-09-08, 22:46
Hey pink,:)

it's good that your feeling better ...........but the doctor said to me that you should be looking to 6mths to a year before coming off it, so I would defo ask docs advice xx