PDA

View Full Version : drivng

Jordans_mommy06
16-09-08, 15:20
any suggestions about how i can get over my fear of driving. i have VERY bad panic attack while driving. i havnt drove in months. its taking over my life. it stops me from doing things that i would like to do. thanks.

decca
16-09-08, 18:01
Hi J's mom,
Have you tried going out with someone beside you, just for a short drive to start with say 10/15 mins or so ,I find having the radio on low also helps. anything to get your confidence back, don't let it beat you, we all need our independance.
I used to get pa's while driving, my therapist told me to stop the car where it's safe , get out, walk around the car three times,get back in and drive away again- don't know why but it seemed to work.
Get back out there as soon as you can.
Best wishes.
Decca.

Missy69
16-09-08, 19:03
Hiya Jordan,
My panic attacks and anxiety actually started whilst i was in my car, this was over a year ago, i can honeastly say the only thing that can help to get over this, is to just keep getting in your car and driving ! easy to say i know, but one sure thing it will go away gradualy know matter how scared you are, nothing will happen, you have just associated it to driving, it will never go away by avoiding driving, it can only prolong it and make it worse, be brave and beat it. I made myself sit through panic attacks at every set of lights i came too, it only happens a few times, just accept you are going to be a bit panicky, infact i use to tell it to do its worst, ahhh it didnt feel that bad after all !! good luck eh !