PDA

View Full Version : increased dose mirtazapine

jacks 6
17-09-08, 15:12
hi
my mirtaza[ine dose has just been increased to 30mg had been on 15mg for 2 years, i am feeling really low at the moment has anyone else felt like this on increasing the dose

lostsoul
18-09-08, 22:59
Jacks 6

I was on 15mg for 2 months before I increased to 30mg it was hard at first I felt very agitated - but then I was agitated before I even started taking it so as with any meds its hard to know whats the side effects and whats the anxiety that was already there. they help me to sleep and keep the worst of the negative thoughts at bay but do little for my anxiety I afraid. I thinking of upping my dose to 45mg on the advice of my phych coz I starting to abuse the diazepam now 15mg a day supposed to be 10 - I advise you to stick clear of Diazepam its so tempting when the anxiety is really bad but in the long run it just makes it worse.

Only you can know if its right to up your dose - you can only try as far as I know Miratzapine is not addictive as such so you could try upping it and see what happens if it doesnt suit the side effects will come well before the improvement trust me and you can lower your dose down again perhaps start by taking one 15mg tablet and half of another one thats what i did at first.

Good Luck - I def recommend Mirtazapine over the other SSRI;s it has less pronounced side effects. And if you want a good nights sleep then its def the way too go although bizarrly more sedating at lower doses!!

ElizabethJane
20-09-08, 13:38
Hello Dave I have been on 30mg of mirtazapine> I'm now reducing to 15mg and hopefully to none. I have put on loads of weight with this med. However my psychiatrist used it as an add on to complement other meds that I'm on. Go back and talk to either your GP or Pdoc and tell them that you are still feeling rough on 30mg. I would allow two to three weeks to allow your body to get used to the higher dose. I would still go to discuss your options. They might want to add in something else as well to help with the anxiety. I also take valium to help with my withdrawal symptoms. I agree that valium is addictive and hard to withdraw from but then so is mirtazapine. I hope it all goes well for you.

lostsoul
20-09-08, 18:42
Elizabeth

Thanks for your reply - I was getting quite a bit better on the 30mgs mainly because it helps me to sleep (Ive been taking 30mg for about four months now) doesnt do that much for the anxiety. Ive tried cipralex before and it put me in hospital with irregular heart beats. - I worried about going up to 45mg as the side effect from 30 were bad or maybe it was just my anxiety about taking them. - My Phyc is not sure if increasing would help either. Ive been told that I shouldnt try any other SSRIs or tryciclics as they seem to effect my heart. That only really leaves the Mirtazapine and Diazepam (which I becoming increasingly tolerant too)

Ive been given Hydroxyzine for the anxiety too its an anti hystemine with anxiety releiving effects but i too scared to take the full dose as it makes me feel strange!!!!
and very tired something that only adds to the depression. - Mirtazapine and Diazepam in your blood stream tend to make you feek wiped out as it is.

I´ve got an appointment with Phyc in a couple of weeks so hopefully we can sort something out. I might try buspirone but again more side effects to deal with!!!

Take care

Dave X

purplepinhead
10-03-09, 09:34
Hi I was on 15mgs and about 2 weeks ago put up to 30mgs and have felt really bad, the doc tells me this will get better but the way I feel at the moment I cant see it. The docs tell me that you have less side affects with 30mgs than 15mgs ??? not sure I believe them at the moment.

Purple xxx

Hereford Al
10-03-09, 14:17
Purple.
I felt pretty rough for a few days when I went up from 15-30. If you are still feeling bad after another week or so, then make sure to speak to you doctor about it.

The only side effect I got from going up to 30mg was more obsessive thoughts ruminating in my head and a bit more anxiety. Hence I decided to come off it in the end.

sunshine-lady
10-03-09, 23:24
I am taking Mirtazapine as I can't take SSRIs. I was taking 45mg but have gradually cut down as I have bipolar and too much antidepressents can have an adverse effect.

Feeling low can be a side effect of increasing Mirtazapine. I take a mood stabiliser called Lamotrigine. Perhaps a mood stabiliser may help you too, at least worth a mention to your Pshyciatist.

Good luck xxx

maria a
09-02-10, 12:03
hi iam a 39yr old mother of 3 girls loved work but bn feeling very low for a while just kept muddelig along dr,s put me on citalapram was horrid i must have had every single side afffect. even went to the a,e to try and get in hospital felt so bad dr,s took me of them and put me on promazine.felt a lot calmer on them but felt like i had cotton wool in my head and ringing in the ears was so bad my dr was of sick all while this was going on so kept seen different dr,s he told me to come off the promazine and start on mirt. Started on the mirt on christmas night with the promazine iam also on zolpadem for sleep as have had insmnia for yrs.but was so drugged the next day limbs felt like led could not move. started just on mirt 15ml and zolp felt a lot better but still to tired the next day need to get back to work cut back my self to7.5 at night and half zolp was doing great nearly off the zolp going out to friends again going shopping.then 2 wks in that dreded feeling of dred came over me like somthing is going to happen .that nite could not sleep good job the next day was my dr,s appointmenthe said up them again to 15ml i have bn on 15 for 2wks feel so low want to cry carnt eat but was also on monthlys so dont no if it has anything to do with it .dont want to go out find everything an effort does any1 think this is coz i have upped to 15 so its like starting again carnt afford not to work so need to get back any little illness i have feels like a big deal tummy trouble runs. 1 good thing i can sleep but wake up with dread how am i going to feel today soory for the rant need some 1 to talk to who has bn throw this xxx

ElizabethJane
09-02-10, 15:31
Hi there i'm sorry you have been feeling so low. If you have been taking mirtazapine since Christmas then you should be noticing some improvement by now. There are a number of us on here who have been prescribed mirtazapine. I also have trouble getting off to sleep and am taking zopiclone. If you are not feeling any real improvement on 15mg then ask your doctor to up your meds to 30mg? There is a good support network on here and also the chat room if you are feeling lonely. If you need extra help and support then ask your GP to put you in touch with the mental health team. I am on 45mg of mirtazapine and have had the side effects you describe but in the first few weeks of taking the drug. After two weeks they should start to disappear.

maria a
09-02-10, 17:38
thanks so much for replyn i was only on 7.5 as didnt like the sleepy side could not get up till mid day so dont even think they was doing anything how long does it work only bn on 15 now for 2 wks
need to get back to work.dr,s at hospital said i should have a long term sick note but nobody followed it up xxx:weep:

ElizabethJane
09-02-10, 17:58
Hi again Mirtazapine is definitely more sedating in the lower doses ie 7.5mg and 15mg. when I first went on it I could barely keep awake in the afternoons. I suggest that you go back to your GP for a review of your meds and a medical certificate. I would also ask for a referral to see a psychiatrist as he/she will be better suited to diagnose your illness. Mirtazapine has worked for me in the past although this time it is slow to recognise any change in my mood this time. I am also taking lithium. My psychiatrist also mentioned combining mirtazapine with another ssri which might be an option for you too. I expect that he will want to increase your dose. Best of luck with it and keep posting.

maria a
11-02-10, 09:55
hi i was in better mood yestarday but found myself getting very bad temperd i was not happy with that as was bad to the people who have bn there also finding it hard to want to go out xx:mad:

maria a
11-02-10, 19:14
hi bn dr,s today said i should go up to 30 ml just dredding it coz of how i felt going up b4 he also said that he was refering me to counciling x

JT69
11-02-10, 21:50
Hi Maria have just been reading your threads and really feel for you. I started taking mirtazipine last Friday 15ml after taking citalopram for around 4 months. I had taken them in the past and they had worked but this time they didint even though I went right up to 40ml. Presently I am having the withdrawal from the citalopram and the side effects from miritazipine and just feel so out of sorts. citalopram withdrawal is causing like brain zaps but right through my body continuous throughout the day. The mirtazipine makes me feel drowsy and heavy legs/arms until around mid afternoon. Be interesting to know how you go when you increase to 30ml as some say it takes the drowsiness effect away. Good luck. Keep posting. Jo

maria a
12-02-10, 16:16
good luck to u to dont no what to do for the best as feeling good today does any 1 no every time u increase do u get the down feeling again xx

JT69
15-02-10, 10:05
Hi Maria, Just wondered if you did increase to 30mg and if so how are you feeling?? Do you work or are you lucky enough to be able to stay home? Jo.x

maria a
15-02-10, 16:43
hi luv yes i do work but bn off sick since nov bn that bad with it all. i have not incressed it yet as feeling ok now on 15 dont wont to increase them yet iam tryn to get back to work as carnt aford to stay off how ru doing on yours xx

JT69
15-02-10, 17:05
Hi Maria, we sound in the same boat, I have been off since mid October, originally put on citalopram as this has worked previously for me but this time even though went up to 40mg was not effective enough hence the change to mirtazipine. I think I am doing ok on them, I dont feel depressed or anxious as much anymore, its just the blooming side effects. The drowsiness does wear off but sometimes takes longer than other days. Today I have not had a very good day, I feel bloated, got a bit of odema in my hands partciularly and have just felt heavy most of the day. It is just starting to wear off now. I think the past 2 days I have just been over doing it, doing an hour on the treadmill and then trying to do all the house work and acting as if I am well again when really I still need to take it easy a bit. I am such an active person I find it very difficult to rest, but have had to this afternoon and have promised myself I will do as little as poss tommorow (she says). I just want to get my life back, have been out of work so long etc, gets you down. I work full time do you? When did you start on mirtazipine?? How do you feel on it?? Jo.xx

maria a
15-02-10, 22:36
Hi jo i also was on citalapram but made me go off my head ot all came to a head in nov i do work full time have 3 kids 1 grandson 1 of my daughters has a disabity hubby was out of work he started back in work in nov so good job rearly i started on mirt on dec 25was on them a week could not handle the tied side so went to half but then 3 weeks ago that same feeling of dred cme over me could not sleep so dr,s put me up to proper dose of 15 it took 2 weeks to get back in system felt like i was starting all over again had a good week since thurs give it another wk good then i will go back to work have to be 100 % in my job as iam an aviation security office hope all goes well for u i dont mind the sleeping at night as thats was my problem x:d

JT69
16-02-10, 13:50
Hi Maria, you say it took 2 weeks for the mirtazipine to get back into your system, what were your symptoms and how did you feel?? I will have been taking the 15mg 2 weeks on Friday, yet I still do not feel I could leave the house. I feel clumsy and find things hard to do. After this week I only have 2 more weeks until I am due back to work (though it I need longer i can take it but dont really want to if I can help it). Did you feel more normal gradually or did you just wake up one day and feel alot better. At least I'm not depressed or anxious anymore (at the moment) so the meds must be doing something. Its just these dreadful side effects...am seriously thinking of asking the GP if I can come off them am in such a dilemma!!! Any advise would really be welcomed. Thanks hun.:) Jo.xx

maria a
18-02-10, 17:59
yes i felt like i wanted to stay in the house was doing the sillyst of things kept forgetting things . i felt like i wanted to stop the meds keep with them i have bn on them a month now and the sleepyness has gone i can go out and feel like i want to go back to work. i felt better each day got better. i just take every day as it comes good luck with it but stick with the tabs xx:)

Hendo
19-02-10, 10:56
Hi,my gp started me off on 30mg mirtazapine and i felt awful for a couple of weeks coming off of catalapram 60mg at the same time probebly made it worse i go back and see my pdoc on tues proberbly incease to 45mg,I also take a mood stabilizer Sodium Valparate because im bi-polar.Last year i stopped taking valium i was taking 3-4 10mg tablets a day it took me 6months to get off it completly it was a very hard time it is very addictive but i needed it at the time.Good luck.

JT69
20-02-10, 12:25
Hi, thanks for your posts, I actually went out yesterday (had to go to the GPs anyhow for my check-up). Decided to stay on 15mg. He didnt suggest anything for the bloating though, (its really bad in my hands especially first thing in the morning, makes me feel really clumsy), just said will wear off in time. Pulse was a little fast but I take propananol when I get that and it helps. I then went to the local shops and in the afternoon food shopping with mu husband. Had a really good day. Today not quite as good so having to take it a bit easier. When do you do back to work Maria??? I am due back in 2 weeks but dont have to do full-time straight away can go back on reduced hours and still be paid full time money then slowly build it up. I will have to see how the next couple of weeks go as I would not be ready feeling as I do now. Jo.xx

JT69
20-02-10, 17:18
Hi Hendo, how long you been on mirtazipine for and how did you feel when you first started taking it??? Jo.

Hendo
21-02-10, 13:40
Hi,Jo iv'e been on Mirtazapine 3weeks now currently 30mgs when i first started taking it i was on an extreme high for 3-4 days and then i crashed i felt terrible for the next week and a half things have calmed down now and i feel a lot better i would say the first 2weeks are the hardest.I always have the same sort of experiance when i change anti-deppresants.Jamie.

JT69
21-02-10, 17:53
Hi Jamie, thankyou for replying to me...feels really hard at the moment and it helps when someone gives a bit of encouragement as there are alot of negative comments on here about mirtazipine. Unfortunately I am such an impatient person and need to just chill a bit and go with it...been off work so long now....hopefully will pick up soon. Please keep me posted on how you get on. Are you still able to go to work at the moment, I just could not cope. Jo.

maria a
22-02-10, 12:15
hi all i have bn of work since nov not due back in until 11 march back at the drs on thu see what he says iam also tryn to come of my sleeping pills zolpadem .i have bn on them over 1yr now. when i read up on them ur only suposed to b on them 2wks. not working as well still staying awake now i have got used to the mirt. not knocking me out of a nite now so thats a downer as they helped me have a good sleep well rome wasent built in a day going to stay on the 15ml thoe dont want that feeling down again when u go up good luck to u all xx:D:D

JT69
22-02-10, 13:18
Hi Maria, thanks for your reply. Let me know how you get on at the doctors. I think I might need a couple more weeks off before I go back to work. I have now got an awful throat infection and hope its not a side effect of the meds, am seeing how I go with that. I have started to wake up alot earlier and not feel as drowsy during the day now too. I just find when I first wake up I feel a bit down...hope this goes soon. Dont feel like going out much yet either. We shall see. Keep in touch. Good luck. love Jo.xx

Hendo
22-02-10, 15:51
Hi Jo,I have'nt been able to cope with work very well either iv'e been off since july last year at the time something had to give it was either work or my health im a baker so i work funny hours.Since then my p-doc has changed all my meds and taken me off of some,it doe's take a while to get your body and mind used to diffrent medication.Unfortunatly if i don't take them i am very ill and have been hospitalized in the past.If you can cope keep with them for a bit longer a week or to might make all the diffrence can you stay off work a bit longer?

JT69
22-02-10, 16:08
Hi Jamie, yes I am able to take more time off if i need to, so I think I will take another couple of weeks to ensure I have the meds in my system a bit longer. I then am able to go back on less hours and increase slowly as I feel better thankfully. Sorry to hear you have had a rough time of it....hope you are improving now. Thanks for replying. Jo.

maria a
26-02-10, 15:32
hi all hope ur all doing well went to the dr,s on the he still keeps telling me to up the dose to 30 does any 1 now if u up them will it give u the same down feeling as when u start on them he also said he would give be a long term sick note i carnt afford not to work but worryn about going back as i have bn of nearly 5 months does any 1 no how much u get if u went on long term sick :D hope u all keep well xx

JT69
26-02-10, 16:54
Hi Maria, it depends on which company you work for, different companys have different sick pay schemes, it may also depend on your length of service etc. The maximum cover at the company I work for is 26 weeks and thats after 10 years service, I think then when that runs out you may be eligible for statutory sick pay (reduced ammount from your salary) but you would need to check with your own company. I am feeling much better (day 21 today), the zaps I was suffering with have almost gone and I wake up pretty early now and dont feel tired any more. My Gp is leaving me on this dose as far as I know but there are others on here that are on a higher dose so may be able to advise you how you will feel if you do increase. Nice to hear from you. Let me know what you decide to do. Jo.xx

maria a
26-02-10, 19:12
hi jo nice to hear ur ok my work only give u 3months half pay 3 months full so nearly at the end of half pay my dr,s looking into if its anything to do with my monthlys coz thats when i keep going down. iam due on the 1st so dont want to start on the 30 just yet coz i want to see if it is xx

JT69
26-02-10, 19:18
Hi Maria, yes that may contribute...I know that over this last couple of weeks I had my monthly too and it did add to the feelings I was going through making it worse. Good you Gp looking into it all. You will get there hun, I know you will. Its early days for me still...I am at the GP next Friday, I was due back to work on the 8th but am going to ask for a couple more weeks off to ensure I am even stronger before I go back. I have a pretty stressful job, so need that time. Keep in touch. Jo.xx

maria a
26-02-10, 21:25
hi joe thanks yes make sure ur 100% first thats me iam due back on the 11th its hard when u have bn off so long thoe my job also is hard iam an aviation security officer and the shifts are crap 4am starts some days

JT69
04-03-10, 11:41
Hi Maria, After having those lovely 4 days I went down hill again and after visiting my GP this morning have got to increase my dose to 30mg. I am scared like you but dont want to continue waking up feeling horrible so I am going to do it. I have 2 more full weeks before I go back to work so am hoping any side effects will of worn off by then. I will let you know how I feel etc. Hope you still doing good!!! JO.xx

ElizabethJane
04-03-10, 15:42
Hi Jo try no to worry too much about going up to 30mg. I am sure you will feel the benefits after a couple of weeks. As you might already know I went straight in on 30 mg of mirtazapine this time and recently went up to 45mg. 30mg had previously worked for me and had lifted my depression and paranoia and suicidal thoughts. This time it has taken much longer for me to feel any benefit but I am definitely much better now. It has taken about a month. You will have time to get used to the increased dose. You might experience more tiredness. I would ask your GP for referral to see a psychiatrist now there has been a change in your condition.

JT69
05-03-10, 10:42
Hi ElizabethJane, thanks for your support. Dont feel as bad this morning as when I first started taking the mirtazipine. I actually dont think I slept quite as heavy as I kept waking during the night. I woke up a little later this morning and did feel the "down" and "everything I usually like doing feeling horrible" feeling as in previous days but the side effects from the extra dose of mirtazipine just made me feel a bit spaced out and heavy, this was 2 hours ago, I am now starting to feel more awake thankfully.

I am missing my treadmill as I usually do an hour each morning on this and it helps me to feel better...roll on Tuesday when the new one arrives. Jo

maria a
05-03-10, 15:28
hi jo sorry to hear ur feeling down again i hope ur feeling a bit better soon even thoe it feels like the end of the world now u will get there its a horrable feeling i hated the not sleeping bit of the depresion iam still only on the 15 mls i dont feel as sleepy on them any more and iam waking up about 6am iam due back into work next week so hope it all goes well will u let me no how u felt on the 30s and how long it took u to get them working as dont no if to up them still as i carnt go back to work to b off again if i did thanks xx:D

JT69
05-03-10, 16:04
Hi Maria, I took my first 30mg last night. I did wake up a little later but apart from feeling a little spaced out and heavy when I got up (which was around 8.30) by 10.30 I was feeling pretty good. The heavy/spaced out feeling had gone and the "down" feeling had gone too. All in all I have had (so far) a pretty good day. I walked to the local shops then after lunch I drove to the nearest town and looked around the shops. It's such a lovely day here I have just washed the car. So far so good. I have 2 more full weeks before I return to work and then when I do I will only be doing 3 hours the first week so I feel quite positive at the moment. Alot of me feeling the way I do has been down to this forum, as I dont know what I would of done some days without it. Some of the people on here are so caring and kind. Will keep you updated of how am doing. I do hope everything goes o.k for you when you go back to work next week. Will you be doing full-time hours? Are you looking forward to it? I sometimes feel I really want to go back then I get those negative feelings pop back up and wonder how I am going to be. We will probably both be fine. Hope so anyhow. Keep in touch. Love Jo.xx

smudger
05-03-10, 18:00
Hi Jo. Glad you have picked up today. Hope it continues matey.xx:bighug1:

maria a
05-03-10, 18:57
hi jo luv thats how i feel like its allways at the back of my mind am i going to be ok today or not should not feel like that its sad i no no iam going back full time 9hr shifts iam due to see the works dr on tue so will ask him if i can just do late shifts coz the 4am starts kill me then wed iam back in training coz i hav bn off for 5months . then iam in for 2 then off for 4 so all good not back on a long week let me no how u get on with the med did not want to up them coz some1 on hear said that u feel down again when u increas so didnt want to feel like that again xxx:yesyes:

maria a
09-03-10, 21:02
hi jo hope ur ok not heard from u in a couple of days how ru doing iam back to work 2moz i forgot to take my pills last night so thought i would be crap 2day but was fine dont want to count my chickens and run b4 i can walk but hope it keeps gettin better xx:yesyes:

JT69
10-03-10, 09:50
Hi Maria, was going to get in touch to wish you well with work, let me know how you get on. I still feel a bit dopey and have a bit of down mood when I first get up but as the day goes by I pick up and start to feel better. Still have the rest of this and all of next week before I go back to work. Waiting for my manager to contact me to meet up next week for a catch up and discuss my return to work hours. I shall be doing around 3 hrs to start with and gradually build them up. My replacement treadmill came yesterday so have started to go back on that to gain some strength etc, all should help. Anyhow Good luck for work and please keep in touch let me know how it goes...glad you are feeling good. Jo.xx

maria a
10-03-10, 20:27
:yesyes:glad to hear ur also doing well. i did quite well could not sleep thoe last night as i was worrying about going back to do my training well i got 91%in my xray exam and can still take a gun apart and put it back together so havent lost it i hope we all keep going this way and let me no how u get on with work take care luv xxx:bighug1:

JT69
11-03-10, 10:38
Hi Maria, Thats fantastic!!! Bet that gave you confidence. By the time you read this you will of done at least your 1st shift back and I bet you were fine?? It is just that initial thought of going back. Its quite hard for me as I am in a managerial role so cant just go in and blend amongst the others. My Manager is to do a briefing with the staff before I return though so they dont all keep asking me questions. I just want to go back and get on with it, cant stand the thought of everyone asking how I am all the time....I know it is concern but alot of it is just being nosy!!!JO.xx

maria a
15-03-10, 19:00
:Dhi jo luv i did quite well when i went back to work the staff and managers was great i got all the questions of people they dont no what to say to u when u say i lost my mind lol they r all simpathetic if u say i had an op or broke my leg but hay never mind . i hope ur doing fine iam still on my meds only 15 mls still how did u go and how long did that down feeling last keep in touch luv maria xx:bighug1:

JT69
15-03-10, 19:10
Hello Maria,

Great to hear from you...have been wondering how you got on...am so pleased it went well. I am due to go and see my manager in store tommorow and talk about my return next Monday...I have drawn out a plan of hours starting on 3 per day then increasing by 1hr per week for 4 weeks by which time I have a weeks holiday and then after that I intend to go back full-time. I hope she will agree to the hours am sure she will as I was told when I went back it would be on my terms.

I am now into my 2nd week of the increase to 30mg and the depression has lifted, I dont feel very sleepy now when I wake up either which is good. My appetite is not too good though especially in the mornings...I find I pick up late afternoon/evening, thats good for me really cos at least I'm not pigging out all day!!! That "down" feeling has almost gone. It's a bit difficult for me to judge at the moment as I am feeling a little anxious with my pending return to work so until I get that hurdle out the way I wont be able to tell properly.

Not everyone knows the reason why I have been off at work, only my manager and those who are close to me. I intend to keep it that way, my manager will brief them all this week about my return and ask that they allow me to go into work and just get on with it...I know alot of people just care but I really dont need it, especially in my position (I am a Team Manager). So hopefully all will go o.k.

Will definately keep in touch and hope you do too. How are you feeling on the 15mg?? If you are o.k then I would stay where you are cos obviously you dont really need to change anything that feels o.k.

Love Jo.xx

maria a
02-04-10, 18:33
:hugs:hi jo how is it going ? ok i hope have u gone back to work yet i have bn back about 3 works and all is going not to bad at the moment thank god i dont want to up my dose i want to try and get of them if i can i have put so much weight on so thats not good i have about 4 stone to get wich bn on these is a no win it just seems to be piling on what can we have a good body or depressed let me no how u get on at work work have helped me with my shifts i dont start at 4 or 5 am now i start at 7 so thats a start its just long days 8 and 9 hr shifts but i carnt have everything take care and keep in touch xx:yahoo:

JT69
02-04-10, 21:03
Hello Maria,

Lovely to hear from you....I wondered how you were doing. Glad you are doing well and that you start work a bit later, makes it easier for you.

I have just completed my second week back at work, I did 3 hrs the first week and then just done 4 this last week, next week 5 then 6, we then go away to Cornwall for a week and when we return I intend to go back to full time, fingers crossed. I have been feeling really well, work has helped and I have re-gained the confidence I lost whilst been off so long.

The weight is an issue for me too, I darent go on the scales, I dont think I have gained too much as my clothes still fit just some are a bit tighter, I do an hour every day on the treadmill and do lots of floor excercises so I think this is what is keeping it at bay but not making me get much smaller...I already had a weight issue. As you say though its either that or suffer depression and I know which I would prefer!!! Once I go back full-time I wont be able to do an hour everyday on the treadmill but then I surpose I will be more active at work, I will still make sure I go on at least 3 times a week though.

Anyhow keep in touch, love to know how you are doing.

Take care
Jo.xx

ElizabethJane
02-04-10, 22:30
Dear Jo your weight problems will resolve themselves I am sure. I have put weight on again recently but I know with some help I will lose it again. The main issue here is you feeling well again and being able to cope. I'm sure that you will enjoy Cornwall. We always did when we holidayed there. I managed to shift one and a half stones but have to be careful to eat regularily because of the lithium. Best wishes with the holiday. I'm glad you are feeling so upbeat.

JT69
03-04-10, 09:22
Hi Elizabeth Jane,

Thankyou for your kind words of encouragement, it is good to know that you have managed to lose the weight in the past so I know that it can be done if eating the right things like you say. I am just happy to feel o.k and like you say that is the main thing even if I am carrying excess weight...just dont want to know how much at the moment and am going to leave it that way until i am ready to tray and foucus on losing it. For now I am enjoying the excercise and not being too worried about what I eat.

Jo.xx

maria a
06-05-10, 21:22
hi all hope u r all well i was feeling greet for the last 2 months so thought i was getting there now the past 3 days have bn feeling rearly down again i have bn on them 5 months now so does any1 think its coz i have got used to them . coz i was feeling good i halfed the does 2 wks ago got to 4 days then was feeling very anxious. so went back up 2 15 mls last thu could it also be that trn to get in to the drs but carnt get in coz of work could any 1 help with idears thanks xx

ElizabethJane
06-05-10, 22:17
Dear Maria I am not a doctor and can only give my experiences of mirtazapine. I am currently taking 45mg at night. In the past when I had had a long period of stability ie a year then with my psychiatrists support I have tapered and eventually come off mirtazapine. It was extremely unpleasant but I made it. I believe that you have come off your medication too soon and too quickly for the old symptoms to reappear. 15mg is regarded as a low dose the therapeutic dose is 30-45mg a day. I am not suggesting that to interfere with your dose yourself but as you suggest it might be time to make an appointment with your GP and establish a longer period of stability before you come off them again. Do not try to do this on your own. Even on a lowish dose 15mg you have almost certainly experienced withdrawals from the mirtazapine. In my opinion this should be done very very slowly to minimise side effects. I had some diazepan to ease this transition. I'm sorry that you are feeling unwell again and I understand the pressures of working. I would try to see your GP ideally get an emergency appointment or ring to speak to a triage nurse to ask them what you should do. EJ.

JT69
07-05-10, 17:39
Hi Maria,

Was wonderering how you were and persumed you were well as you hadn't posted for a while.

Sorry to hear that you are feeling as you are. I totally agree with Elizabeth-Jane you have reduced the meds too soon...in mine and others I know experiences you should really stay on the meds at a stable dose for at least 6 months. 15mg is a low dose of mirtazipine...I take 30mg and still find that I have my blips and often wonder if I need to go up to 45mg but so far the "blips" seem to come around the time I am due for my period so I think it could be that (or am hoping so anyhow)!!!

I would definately make sure you are at least taking the 15mg that you were doing until you see your GP. In future I really would not mess with your dosage before discussing with your GP. I know it is easy to feel well again and think you dont need your meds but unfortunately is does not work that way. You must keep taking them to keep well for the moment at least.

I am too not a doctor but know the way anti-depressants work and the way you are feeling I think it may be due to the fact that you dropped dosage and now have gone back up??

Hun, I hope you feel better soon. Let us know how you go.

Take care
Jo.xx

maria a
07-05-10, 23:46
thank u both for ur kind wordsits good to have suport i no i was silly tryn to come off them to soon. but coz i was feeling good thought it would be ok i will just have to keep at it thank u both again xxx

lukesmith
20-10-11, 20:50
hi
i started mirtazpine about a year ago im on 90mg a night and i dont have side effects ive tried lots of anti depressants.. im also currently on 30mg valium a day, 30 mg abilify, 2600mg sodium valproate, 15mg zoplicon, 20mg temazepam and 2 mg of benztropine and im using the medications to treat schizo-affective ( bipolar-schizophrenia) and borderline personality Disorder

karenp
01-05-12, 09:43
I've been on 15mg of Mirtazapine nearly 3 weeks. The first day I felt zonked out but after that I was fine and have felt much better apart from really weepy first thing on a morning, however the last 2 days I have been waking up with terrible anxiety and having to go out walking till it calms down a little. I've had a bad weekend though, worrying myself silly over something and maybe have just hyped myself up ??? I usually have Lorazepam to help bring me down but my Doctors very reluctant to give me it for more than a couple of weeks. I'm still really edgy now and can't seem to come down properly. Just off to see my GP in a mo so I may have a few nerves because of that too. :wacko:

Monostich
01-05-12, 14:46
I read this a lot about Mirtazapine, Karen.

When I was taking Prozac and later Paroxetine, I would always wake up with a spring in my step and look forward to the day.

With Mirt I've always woke up groggy and filled with dread. It passes by the afternoon but it's so annoying knowing that the next morning I'll have to go through it all again.