PDA

View Full Version : Panic/Anxiety?

Crispy Cornflake
01-12-03, 02:09
Went to my Doctors almost two weeks ago as suffering from a shortness of breath and light headedness. As he's also GP for all my immediate family, he knows what I've been through this last six months and told me it was down to anxiety and I had suffered a panic attack. He sent me for a chest x-ray and ECG just to "put my mind at rest" which I haven't got the results for as yet. The problem is, I keep thinking there's something seriously wrong with me. I have a tight, "itchy" feeling in my upper chest, tired all the time and suffer these weird feelings of being spaced out and light headed. The doc gave me Citalopram, but I haven't taken them yet. I bought some Bach flower remedy (the SOS one) from a wee shop in Edinburgh last week, but it hasn't helped. Are these symptoms familiar to panic/anxiety? I did hyperventilate on one occasion.

Thanks for reading my post.

Lottie32
01-12-03, 09:01
These are all symptoms of panic, and it's very common for sufferers to think that something is "wrong" with them.

In fact, some of us want something to be wrong with us, because operable diseases can sometimes seem easier to deal with than something "in the head".

However, your panic and anxiety is treatable. Have you asked your doctor about CBT. This is an excellent treatment, which promotes life long skills to deal with anxiety and panic.

Please look at the site to find ways to relax and practice the breathing techinques there. I find alot of the time I breathe badly, and it just makes things worse.

I was prescribed diazepan and propranol. I took the propranol occassionally, but was too scared to try the diazepan. Instead, I started CBT.

It's very hard, but you have to try and stay positive, and "force" yourself to take action. We all know how you feel, and there are still moments when I feel the anxiety is insurmountable, and I just can't conquer it.

Try reading the advice on the site, and good luck. We know how you feel and are behind you.

Charlie

Laurie28
01-12-03, 16:11
crispy,

Sounds like anxiety to me.

I was at the doctors on many occasions before accepting i had anxiety (even when I thought I had accepted it I hadn't really!!)

i really wanted something to be physically wrong with me (curable of course) so I didn't have to accept the problems were in my head.

I have finally accepted (totally) I have anxiety and it is only now I can move forward. Can you ask your doctor to put you on the list for CBT.

Things do get better with work!!

love
lucky

Crispy Cornflake
01-12-03, 16:30
Thanks for you replies. I agree with you both that it's hard to accept that this is anxiety. I'm not even sure I know what anxiety is exactly. All I know is that when it strikes I feel like I'm about to pass out or worse. I have been through a lot in the last six months, but it's only the last month that this has been happening and it came on all of a sudden. I haven't touched a drop of alcohol in the last three weeks either as it seems to make things worse. Or at least the hangover the next day does. I have read other posts on here that would confirm other people feel that way too regarding hangovers. I have difficulty falling asleep too, as I have these thoughts that I won't wake up again. As a consequence, I don't fall asleep untill I'm absolutey shattered meaning I'm tired the next day. I'm tempted to give the medication I've been prescribed a go, but the possible side effects scare me.

sadie
01-12-03, 20:56
I used to feel just like you..I was terrified to go to sleep in case I didnt wake up in the morning. I would stay awake, mostly having panic attacks in my bed and would only get a couple of hours of sleep each night. All that happened was I felt more on edge the following day and therefore this started the cycle of panic attcks again. Again, like you I was terrified to take medication also because I was scared of the side effects but in the end I had to. I dont know what medication you have been prescribed but there is lots of information about different types of medication on this site. Some do have some side affects to begin with for a small period of time but once they start to work they can help you get control of painc attacks and anxiety.

I am sorry to hear that you ahve had a tough 6 months but things can only get better for you. There are lots of people here to offer you support and guidance through our own experiences. I have only been a member for a couple of weeks and feel much more positive about my anxiety and how to cope with it through the support I have been given. Keep in touch and dont be afraid to ask for advice.

sadie