PDA

View Full Version : withdrawl side effects or depression back????

debbiejones
18-09-08, 10:05
Hi, this is my first time of posting and i am so glad i have found this site. Basically i have been on citalopram for 4 and half years, initially for post natal depression, then every time i felt ok i would try and come off it but had to stay on it as i did not cope without it. I went up to 20 mg. 18 months ago my husband left me, had an affair and left me with three young kids. I stayed on the meds and it was my life line. However for the last 6 months i have slowly weaned myself from 20 to 10 to every other day to once a week. My last tablet was 4 weeks ago. I don't feel like i am not coping but am worried that either the symptons are returning although i feel in control this time. I shake alot, worry a hell of alot and am so emotional. Do i just ride it out or is it the depression coming back. I feel strong and determined not to go back on them but i know how quickly i became depressed and unable to cope with even taking the kids to school. I work part time, new job which i do struggle with as its a new career. My divorce came through two months ago so that is over with. I am just nervous as this time i am on my own. The dr did not help when i asked how i should be coming off them. How long will these symptons stay with me after being on them for 4 and a half years. Should they be out my system by now and is it me just adjusting to not being on them...Would really appreciate anyone who can help. I am proud of myself for coming this far but i can be great positive person then i get a couple of issues that totally overwhelm me and feel like i can't cope and i go downwards then and find it hard to get a grip.

hopeful
19-09-08, 12:06
Hi Debbie and welcome to nmp.I'm afraid I can't answer your question as I'm still taking citalopram,for a year now and willing to take it for the rest of my life if need be!
There are people on here who have stopped their meds and I'm sure someone will be along to answer your query.
you sound a very determined person,you've done well coping with a divorce,working and being a single parent.You certainly seem to have the right attitude.Go You!
julie x:hugs: