PDA

View Full Version : Hi

abbie
23-05-05, 21:47
Hi,
I am so relieved to discover this website and read all your stories. I think I have always had a mild anxiety disorder but just assumed this was my "personality".I first went to a doctor when I started having panic attacks and thought I must be going mad/becoming schizophrenic about 10 years ago. He thought I might be struggling to accept myself as a lesbian- I'm not and I wouldn't have considered that a problem anyway! The panic attacks stopped after a couple of years. Then I had the swallowing problem- again I didn't find a sympathetic GP. They sent me for tests and discovered there was nothing physically wrong with my throat- little comfort to me. Eventually that resolved itself but the counsellor I saw during that time made me dwell on my childhood and wonder if I had suffered any form of abuse which was to blame for my current state. This was untrue but I still ponder about it and feel guilty for doing so.
I hoped I might grow out of my anxiety. My obsessive, irrational and catastrophic thoughts don't interfere with my work so I have never been forced to do anything about it. However, now I am 28 and I don't want to put up with this anymore. I am nervous in traffic jams, in the countryside, on boats/planes, and sometimes for no clear reason at all.Also I can't imagine how I would ever be able to have children if I carry on worrying about things (e.g.dying) all the time. My boyfriend is wonderful but can't really understand how I feel.I have asked my GP to refer me for CBT but she thinks the mental health service in our area is only for severe cases eg suicidal. Otherwise it seems to be between £50 and £100 per hour which is a lot of money if you need 10 sessions, but worth it if I can stop my thoughts I suppose.
I hope I have written this in the right section. Thanks.
Abbie

seh1980
23-05-05, 21:52
hello Abbie,

Welcome aboard!! :)

The symptoms you describe are very much the classic symptoms of anxiety. It's a shame that your GP isn't a bit more sympathetic as many people here have found CBT very useful. Could you not try to speak to a different doctor?

I'm sure you will receive loads of good support here.

Sarah :D

Meg
23-05-05, 21:52
Hi Abbie and welcome !

We are at the mercy sometimes of soem very ill informed and opinionated professionals..Well done for keeping it under control for so long.

Start here : First Steps to overcoming Panic and Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=942)

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Karen
23-05-05, 21:54
Hi Abbie

Welcome to the forum.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

florence
23-05-05, 21:57
Hi Abbie

Welcome to the forum.

Like Sarah said these feelings are certainly anxiety related. Its a shame that your doc wasnt very helpful.
I hope you 'll find all the support you need here .

Take care.
Florence.

**Don't believe everything you think .**

sal
23-05-05, 22:29
Hi Abbie

Welcome to the forum. You will get lots of help and great advice here.

You have done well so far and i hope we can help you move further forward.

Take care and look forward to hearing more from you.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

Gareth
24-05-05, 08:45
Hi Abbie,
My anxiety is very similar to yours - have had a general sense of anxiety for years but this exploded into constant and high level anxiety about 10 weeks ago.
Basically I think you have to remember that the causes of anxiety are complicated. They are usually a combination of three factors:
Heredity - anyone in your family have similar problems?
Childhood experiences - anything you found difficult as a child?
Recent stresses - stresses and strains in the past few years and in current life are a big factor

So its important to address all of these through lifestyle changes / working through past issues with a good counsellor or therapist, and also looking at how to to talk to yourself better and relax - which CBT is great for.

I would recommend a book called "The anxiety and phobia workbook" by Edmund Bourne. It takes you through all the processes of how anxiety forms, and all the things you can do to help yourself. Its good because it has ALL of the things you can be doing yourself on a daily basis, whereas some books only talk about one aspect, like self-talk for example.

I hope this helps. Well done for functioning so well for so long, I know how hard it is. Always remember that you CAN feel better with a little bit of knowledge and hard work!

Gareth

*** I think, therefore I'm anxious ***

EmmaJane
24-05-05, 10:37
Hi Abbie, welcome to the site

Feel free to PM me, if you want to talk.

Emma xx

Keep focused, keep positive.

tasha
24-05-05, 12:10
Hello and welcome :)

Have you tried the BACP website to find a counsellor? That's where I found mine and she doesn't cost as much ast £50!! There'd be no way I could afford it if it was that much!

http://www.bacp.co.uk/seeking_therapist/index.html

Good luck :)

nomorepanic
24-05-05, 19:01
Hi Abbie

Just wanted to welcome you aboard the forum and offer you all the support and help you need.

I too don't like traffic jams - horrid things aren't they!

Nicola

sal
24-05-05, 23:00
Hi Abbie

Would be great to hear more from you and am sure we can support you through this.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

buffybot
25-05-05, 21:23
welcome Abbie...i hope you find help here :)

sal
25-05-05, 22:11
Hi Abbie

How are you getting on?

Love Sal xx

abbie
25-05-05, 22:35
Thanks everyone for all your replies, particularly Tasha for the link to cheaper Bacp Therapists! Will keep in touch.
Abbie

sal
25-05-05, 22:41
Good to hear from you Abbie.

Keep in touch and we will help you all we can.

Love Sal xx