PDA

View Full Version : Am I having panic attacks? Scared and deppressed, please help!!

bb22
19-09-08, 12:26
I need to know what's going on with me, I am 20 and just after i left school i had a period of time when i worried constantly about everything, even my house getting bombed in the night! But in the last 3years i've been fine, living a normal life. Just over a month ago I was at work (i work as a waitress) talking to some customers when my chest tightened and i felt like i couldn't breathe. I went and sat down and presumed that I had a bad chest due to a cold or something...It scared me a lot! Now I'm getting this feeling everyday especially at work and I sit here now dreading going to work in case this happens, I'm worried about collapsing in front of people or there being no-one there to help me. When I'm at home or with my partner I feel much safer. Because these attacks arenet that bad at the minute I'm worried that next time it happens it will be much much worse. I havent being diagnosed with anxiety or panic attacks but am going to see GP on tues. Is what i'm experiencing panic attacks?????? please help i keep crying worring about this. My attacks don't sound as abd as anyone else's on here, Thanks for reading, xx:weep:

LeeBee
19-09-08, 12:44
Hi bb, certainly sounds like you are having anxiety symptoms. Try not to worry about having a panic attack, try to think "it it happens, it happens". Easier said than done, I know! Horrible as panic attacks are, they are not life-threatening. They can't really hurt you and are usually over quite quickly.
It's good that you're going to see your GP next week, he/she will check you over and put your mind at ease. In the meantime, if you feel yourself getting panicky, try a few different techniques suggested by the folks on here. When I get panicky I start to hyperventilate so slow breaths or holding my breath works for that, and distraction works quite well for me too - sometimes I call someone and talk about normal stuff, or watch a dvd, or come on here (or sit in the loo and cry :blush:) - depends where I am and what time it is etc. Everyone is different, you'll find something that works for you. You'll be fine :flowers:.

Milligan
19-09-08, 14:23
Hi
It certainly sounds like a mild panic attack - your gp will rule out any possible physical causes - it could ber that all you need is to learn some relaxation techniques, anyway good luck on tuesday. let us know what happens
Cheers

Davvid
19-09-08, 16:37
It should ease your mind after you've seen your GP.
I know it's easy for me to say but try thinking positively.
Talking about it helps too. I'm new here but found there's always someone to listen.
Good luck. Let us know how you get on.
All the best, Dave.