PDA

View Full Version : Am I having panic attacks? Scared and deppressed, please help!!

bb22
19-09-08, 12:44
Hi there, I'm new to this but im so scared and down about what is happening to me, I don't understand what's happening to me!
Just after i left school four years ago i suffered badly with worrying about everything, worrying about being really ill all the time, worrying even about planes flying over the house bombing us!
I seemed to get over this in my first year of college and since then have been fine...until now! Just over a month ago I was at work (waitress) serving customers when i felt my chest go tight and felt like i couldn't breathe, couldn't catch my breath. I went and sat down and put this down to a bad chest. It sacred me very much though and i worried for the rest of the night. For the following week i felt so down and stressed, i felt like the world was not real and that i was not real, that scared me a hell of a lot!
Recently the breathing problems have being happening to me alomost daily, and not just at work. This has caused me to concentrate on my breathing constantly and be anxious all the time. Am I having panic attacks because it isn't as bad as other people's explanations on here.
Please help i have no-one else to talk to, i have not seen my GP i feel stupid! Thank you:weep:

Davvid
19-09-08, 16:43
You're not stupid. - far from it.
It's horrible isn't it, but you've always got people on this site to talk to.
Your GP should understand too.
All the best, Dave.

Yvonne
19-09-08, 18:14
bb22

What you're describing is very very common. You need to get your breathing under control. There are loads of posts on here about how to breathe properly. What you are experiencing sounds like bad anxiety, I think a full blown panic attack would include a few more symptoms than you are getting - i.e. difficulty breathing, racing heart, jelly legs, etc etc. - in my experience of fully blown panic attacks there are lots of symptoms all at once.

Speak to your doctor because it does definitely sound like bad anxiety and the more you worry about it the worse it will get. You're constantly focusing on your breathing, of course you are - it's a very unpleasant sensation. Try to get on with things and ignore it if you can. Try some relaxation - get yourself a good relaxation cd.

Take care.

ana
20-09-08, 10:59
I am sorry you feel this way, but the important thing is, you are not alone! :)

I used to feel "like I wasn't real". It's called depersonalization and I've felt it constantly for 5 years. It was the most common panic symptom for me. I still experience it when I have full blown panic attacks.

You should see your GP and see what he/she will say.

Best of luck! :hugs:

xxxxxx

bb22
20-09-08, 11:21
Thanks everyone for you're help, I hope that things go ok with my GP. I think a lot of this has to do with feeling alone in it all and not having anyone to talk to about it, my partner doesn't understand and i wouldn't talk to friends about this, x

kenboon
20-09-08, 19:18
Its very scary and you do feel very isolated and your not stupid or going mad, anxiety/panic is very very overwhelming and scary. Try looking at this section of the site http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/NMPcms.php?nmppage=symptoms This may well help you understand some of the panic/anxiety related symptoms (including the 1s you have described) and may put your mind at ease and hopefully in turn help you realise you will be ok. Alternativly if you are feeling really low try going in the chat room above ^^ There all really freindly in there and are or have been in a simular boat to you and know just how scary it is.

Keep your chin up

It will get better

Ken

smiths
20-09-08, 19:21
hi dont worry we are all experiencing the same things def see your gp
i was very low and depressed this forum has helped alot