PDA

View Full Version : It's happening again

RobinM
19-09-08, 19:08
I'm having a relapse, I'd got on top of the panic attacks again and was happily working 8 til 6 every day since February, then over the past month or so, I've been under a lot of stress at work and started having the odd panic attack again and really struggled to sleep throughout that time.

It all sort of came to a head last weekend when I had a major panic attack, convinced myself I was going to be sick (my phobia) and ended up asleep on the bathroom floor (it wasn't a good look :blush:)

Anyway, since last weekend, I've had a panic attack and convinced myself I'm going to be sick every night, meaning that I've not been to work since last Friday.

I've not been sick, I've not died, I've not fainted and I've not even felt dizzy, but I have been eating very small amounts and I've got no energy from having no sleep.

The doctor has given me amitriptyline and diazepam to keep me calm and help me sleep, it worked on one night, but then last night, at 5.30, I was in the bathroom thinking myself into a panic again.

I really don't know how I can stop them this time, because it had been so long since I had proper panic attacks, I've forgotten the methods I used to use and they seem a lot worse now (although they're probably not)

I have an appointment with the doctor again on Monday, but the thought of 3 days more panic and lack of sleep is really bringing me down.

I just don't know what to do, I've directly asked people for help, even considered admitting myself to the local mental hospital :wacko:, but none of it seems to help.

What can I do? :shrug: I can't go on not eating, sleeping or relaxing :weep:

Even being off work for the past week hasn't helped, I'm still all over the place.

Robin.

Sparky600
19-09-08, 19:46
Hi Robin

I recently had 5 nights of not sleeping and went to A&E so many times I'm embarrassed. Like you say, we're still alive and kicking. I think I know I'm not going to die from it though - don't you? It's the thought of having to 'go through it' that's really horrible. Ugh, those nights sitting up.

Random thoughts that might help. I try and read a book when I go to bed. Not a fiction one with a plot - I'm far too distracted to follow that but maybe a nonfiction book like a biography (I know, not my normal read either). Even my book on hyperventilation helps.

I also bought a electric heat pad (Again, I know...!) and I put it on my stomach or chest and it's sort of comforting. Hot water bottle or something would do (just don't tell your pals)

Thirdly, and not always easy to achieve, I got my brother to give me a hug today. I don't get anywhere near enough hugs and I sobbed (yup, not a good look but I am his little sister) but I did feel less tense afterwards. Not suggesting you grab a sibling and blokes aren't always very huggy but thought I'd mention it.

Also, I'm seeing a psychotherapist on Monday which is a big step but I can't wait to TALK TO SOMEONE, at length without thinking I'm worrying them or boring them.

Maybe don't try and go to bed early but see if there's something that can distract you until you can tell yourself it's time for bed and take your tablets.

Finally, if I can't sleep I try and tell myself 'so what', I don't have to get up early. I don't have a deadline. I can let what happens, happen.

I know, all far easier said (or written) than actually done and don't I know it! Good luck and take it easy...

Sue

Anxious_gal
19-09-08, 22:03
STRESS! yep us with anxiety are super sensitive to any form of stress. try to think positve you manged to over come everything before, what doesn't kill us can make us stronger if we let it,
good on your for making that doctors appointment.

keepemlaughing
19-09-08, 23:15
The sleep thing is a whopper. If I don't sleep at night I tend to go nuts the next day and have a full blown panic attack. Thank goodness for meds!

Davvid
20-09-08, 12:12
Sparky is right. Try a warm hot**ter bottle on your stomach. It works for me aswell.
Try not to worry if you don't sleep in the night . Maybe you can catch up with it the following day.
Also you could try reading something boring in the night - something you don't have to concentrate on. maybe the weather pages on ceefax or something like that. It works for me. I thought I'd mention it.
All the best, Dave.

This post has been automatically edited by the NMP post filter

RobinM
20-09-08, 18:32
I slept quite well last night, didn't wake up, had a bit of a panic attack while attempting to eat my dinner, so I ended up throwing that in the bin and having a sandwich when I'd calmed down.

Felt like I'd got a hangover this morning though, which I imagine is something to do with the cocktail of pills I'm on.

The bonus (if there is one) of having the panic attack early in the evening is that I was shattered by about 10pm and had no trouble getting to sleep.

I think I need to wear myself out more often if that works.

Cheers for all the comments too guys, I'm going to try some of the things you've all mentioned next time I'm awake for no reason, the Ceefax one sounds like a good idea.

RobinM
20-09-08, 20:47
Right, so I went to my sister in law's 30th birthday party at my brother's house, which is about 1/4 mile away.

I lasted half an hour then couldn't hack it and now I'm back at home, a lot calmer than I was while I was there.

No idea what triggered it, I just felt that I couldn't be there anymore.

The good thing is that I'm now totally calm and seem to be more able to control the panic attacks again.

I'm shattered again too, which is good.