PDA

View Full Version : anyone not on meds?....

lifeissweet
20-09-08, 14:49
hi just wondered is everyone on meds for pa's, or is there anyone who refuses to take them like me?

i was on them a few years back (anti-ds) and i found they helped, but this time i was given a different one (one i had first time is found to be too dangerous now), and i could only take them 2 days as they gave me major depression, couldnt even leave house, 24/7 crying, thoughts that i cant be here anymore etc......this freaked me out so much i never want to try anti-ds again.

so im going it alone...anyone else the same??

lorac
20-09-08, 16:51
Hi Laura

I don't take meds, I tried them a few years back but I couldn't get on with them. I just keep getting out there and facing each panic as it comes, that seems to be the way for me. Meds do work for some people but unfortunately they just didn't seem to help me.

I wish you well with your recovery Laura.

Carol

pinkpiglet
20-09-08, 16:56
Hi Laura,
the first meds i tried made me feel absolutely horrendous.
I too felt like i might want to do something rash, i felt sooooo low and down even after 4 days. My doctor wanted me to carry on taking them but i refused. I have a 2 year old (almost) and i couldnt concentrate on him properly, so i ditched them. I went back and demanded something else, she gave me fluoxetine (prozac) even though mine was more anxiety and just slight depression but 6 weeks on they are working a treat! Obviously i would prefer to manage without meds has i have done in the past but it wasnt an option this time, i had no choice or i would have just got worse!

pinkpiglet
20-09-08, 17:00
Doh! just realised that you wanted to know who DIDNT take meds!!
Silly me!!!

Patty
20-09-08, 17:09
Hi Laura,:)

I don't take meds now.

I took them for about 10 months when I first took panic & anxiety (9yrs ago). The way I would describe feeling when I was on them was that they 'numbed' the anxiety a bit - but it was still there - if that makes sense.

Have thought about taking herbal meds like 'Quiet Life' or 'St John's Wort' but never did.

Best wishes xx :bighug1:

t0rt01se36
20-09-08, 17:31
I've never wanted to take Meds for my Anxiety and Panic Attacks but I keep avoiding so many things I'm wondering if I should ask GP about suitable Meds.

Think I've got such a sensitive throat or something cos Disprol I couldn't even cope with. It made me cough alot.

I had a bad experience when I was young - I was prescribed too much Penecilin. Ended up in Hospital cos my bladder wasn't working very well or had stopped working.

kazzie
20-09-08, 18:09
Hi:D

I only take the odd diazipam but have tried seroxat and prozac over the years but Im afraid in my opinion the cure comes from within:D

I found cbt very helpful but hard going you have to really want to recover

Kaz:hugs:

Stressed92
21-09-08, 15:47
Hi Laura
I have never taken anything for my panic/anxiety. I'm only 15, so don'y really want to start taking anything at this age. I think you can recover without meds, some people say they can't. It just depends on the person.
Amy
x