PDA

View Full Version : CBT -------First session Monday

jellybean43
20-09-08, 17:46
Hi
As some of you may remember I was quite a regular poster on here earlier in the year. I was terrified I had lymphoma after discovering last October a swelling above my right clavicle.
Anyhow, as most of you know i went for all the tests---blood, X ray etc and everything came back fine. I still wasnt convinced and kept going back to my GP for reassurance. He referred me for CBT(back in April) and this week, whilst away on holiday, I have got a letter asking me to come in on Monday morning. Obviously, I am not sure if i will still be going as i was asked to ring to confirm but as i say i have been away!!! I am going to ring first thing Monday morning and hope that no one else has taken my place!!
I am now starting to panic about going. I do feel lots better BUT I still have rubbish days and the swelling is still there on my neck(well i think it is but OH says he cant feel anything!!!).I am no where near as "frightened" and obsessed as i was earlier in the year. Do you think i am wasting their time going?I have always suffered with anxiety and would hate to think i could ever feel as rubbish as i did again!I suppose the truth would be that I am still not 100% sure that I dont have a serious diesease but i think that maybe a year on i would be feeling quite ill by now so the doctors were maybe right after all!!!!
Thanks for any advice xx

RosieXXX
20-09-08, 18:01
Hi Jellybean,

I think it would be senisble to go and have your CBT sessions, because although you feel so much better, it sounds like you are still vulnerable. You are bound to feel a bit apprehensive about the sessions to begin with, but you have nothing to lose by going - I am sure they will help you. You musn't feel you are wasting their time - these people are properly trained and are there to help you. I have had CBT and found it helpful - it gave me an opportunity to get a better understanding of my thought process and emotional reactions. All the best.

Rosie

bottleblond
20-09-08, 18:01
Hiya hun

Long time no chat!! :flowers:

Please go for the CBT because it may just change your life and and make the future a brighter place.

I have spoke to quite a few people who have had CBT and i would say that 99% had positive things to say so PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE give it a try gal.

Best of luck and please let me know how you get on.

Loads of love
Lisa
xxx

honeybee3939
20-09-08, 18:09
Hi JellyBean

When it came around to my CBT i was feeling much better too.:yesyes: . But im glad i went ahead with it, i learnt alot about myself and the way i think, and i changed alot of my bad habits with the help of CBT. I always say get what evers offered it will help in the long run !:yesyes:

Go for it and good luck hun.

Great to hear things have improved for you too:yesyes: :yesyes:

Love
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxxx

Tango1610
20-09-08, 19:11
what is CBT for the ones who arent in the know, like me?

its all good
20-09-08, 19:15
Go for the cbt sessions. Even though u dont feel as bad as u did earlier in the year u mite still benefit from them, best of luck, kayliegh x

RosieXXX
20-09-08, 19:38
CBT Cognitive Behaviour Therapy deals with the way we think and react to varioius situations and problems. The therapist will look at the way we react to a situation, and then will then put forward another way of looking at that problem. The therapist helps to teach us to find a more positive approach to our problems. They help us to find our own way of changing a negative thought process.

marie1974
20-09-08, 19:45
hiya hun i agree with lisa and i go to cbt too and its helped me so much and i really recommend it. hugs to u xxxx

jellybean43
20-09-08, 20:40
Hi
Thanks for all the lovely replies. And great to see all the "old faces" and of course newbies too!!!!
I honestly am worried cos I dont have a clue what to expect and I am not keen on having to go in to all my history----but I know in order to go forward i must do this!!I do feel comfortable with my way of thinking but i know that it isnt always the right way to be thinking(hope that makes sense) but, I dont have the answers to change it. I am hoping this may be the answer for me!!! and that i may be taught how to think differently!!!
My OH is sooooo laid back that he hasnt really been able to help me. I have had to fight every day since last October to feel well again and with some fab support on these boards(you all know who you are that helped me in my dark days!!!) and the drive to get myself a part time job and go out walking daily I DO FEEL LOADS BETTER. I will keep you all posted. I am thinking that if my place has been given to someone else that i will be next on the list again so either way i wont have long to wait!! x

Lissy43
21-09-08, 20:57
I would go, it really does help. I started 3 weeks ago and in a wierd way I enjoy my sessions, if you click with your therapist its really easy to open up and be totally honest. I constantly apologise and say I am stupid because when you say out loud how you feel you realise just how daft it is but he constantly tells me off for putting myself down.

Good luck, make sure you go, it will help you.

slavetoanxiety
22-09-08, 10:49
I would go as well. CBT has made a massive difference to the way I think.
It is not an instant cure but it has given me the tools to fight back.

Regards

Slave