PDA

View Full Version : newbie !!!

smiths
20-09-08, 18:00
hi im new to panic attacks been having them for about 3 months so just getting used to the symptons etc
although i do have sum questions
after an attack i get a tight chest for a hour or 2 after is this normal

Cathy V
20-09-08, 18:13
Hi there smiths and to answer your question, yes its perfectly normal to get a tight chest after panics, if you can imagine the sheer tension involved in a panic attack, all the muscles are really tense and that includes the chest muscles too. How often are you getting the panics?

Cathy xxx

smiths
20-09-08, 18:17
hi i was getting them about once a week but had 3 this week already !!! i have been very anxious this week though i was getting myself worked up convinced that i have summat wrong with my heart even though ive had a ecg and all was ok

Cathy V
20-09-08, 18:20
Yes this all sounds like classic anxiety and most of us on here know how you feel. I have a heart phobia because i suffer with missed beats and sometimes flutters...very uncomfortable, but in the past year ive learned to cope with them much better thanks to the meds (betablockers) and talking to other sufferers on here. Are you taking any meds and have you had a chat about your panics to the doc?

smiths
20-09-08, 18:23
also ive been really off my food too worried to eat now im staring to eat again i have indigeston and trapped wind which is uncomfortable aswell :weep:

smiths
20-09-08, 18:24
im not on any meds the doctor has put me in touch with a counseller but there is a 4 week waiting list

Cathy V
20-09-08, 18:30
Ok well that makes sense, and you and the counsellor and your doc can work out if you need to take anything to help. In the meantime it might be worth looking into taking something natural, herbal to ease your panics. There are a fair few out there. Have a look in Boots or Holland and Barrett. And dont forget that anxiety can affect most parts of the body so the list of symptoms is endless. Try not to get too worried smiths, it is only your imagination that is creating this anxiety and the tension is creating some of the symptoms.

smiths
20-09-08, 18:33
thank you
im taking the bach rescue remedy
this seems popular with alot of the people on this forum

Cathy V
20-09-08, 18:39
Ok yes it seems popular with alot of ppl, but does nothing for me im afraid! one of the members was talking not long ago about something called 5-htb (or could be htp!) and again its a natural supplement that mimics anti-depressents without the side effects and is totally safe. All the response on here was very positive from others that know it, saying how calm it made them feel and that some ppl were able to sleep through the night for the first time in ages etc. There is a link for it somewhere so if i locate it ill send it to you, unless you find it first.

Cathy V
20-09-08, 18:48
Ok the only way i know how to do this is to click onto search at top menu bar and just type in 5-htp and it will give you all the members who have discussed this drug, including my posts too, so the one you want to open will be about 3rd one on list by a member called (sorry forgotten her name and if i try to get it now ill lose this message!) anyway you'll see a whole page of replies to her, talking about this medication. Hope it helps xxx

kenboon
20-09-08, 19:02
im not on any meds the doctor has put me in touch with a counseller but there is a 4 week waiting list

I'v just started seeing a counciler and have found it has really helped me :)
I did have a stint on diazapam and tried citalopram but i'm actually finding i'm doing better with no meds and talking and reading up on it on here. Dunno if you have looked at the symptoms part of the site http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/NMPcms.php?nmppage=symptoms . But it goes through most of the symptoms and explains as to why you get them. I found this has helped reduce the fear factor for me personally and it may put your mind at rest a little.

Ken

smiths
20-09-08, 19:03
thank you very much i will have a look now

smiths
20-09-08, 19:03
thank you i will have a look now

smiths
20-09-08, 19:23
the symptons page is a great help thank you

kenboon
20-09-08, 20:07
Certainly helped me alot :) Its very scary and at times you may feel like your going mad, but it will get better in time. I was a real mess a few weeks ago. I wouldnt even go outside the house and spent most of the time in our bedroom getting all anxious about having a panic attack and then in turn having a full blown panic attack. That page really made me realise after many trips to hospitals and drs that it was all anxiety related and in turn, that it was what i had to try and beat. I'm now able to go out a little and do lawns ect although i still have some symptoms they dont seem to be as severe as they once where, but i'm getting there slowly. Just remember that your not alone, a large percentage of the population has gone throught this and beat it (althought its not widely talked about) and almost everyone on here has had some experience. You will get there and i think the biggest thing is coming to terms and understanding what causes the very scary symptoms and realise that it is actually mostly all anxiety related and not something else. If your starting feel anxious try something to distract you. Playing some of the games on here i found is a good way to change your focus. Exercise is also a good help too, doesnt have to be vigerous, but this in turn will help you to burn of some adrenalin which helps fuel the anxiety. This site will help you out alot :)

Hope your feeling better soon

Ken

smiths
20-09-08, 20:34
thank you ken thats made me feel alot better
i 2 sit in the house worring im going to have a panic attack then go out and have one !! i spends hours winding myself up into a frenzy

Cathy V
20-09-08, 21:24
...and this one too? :shrug: :wacko: :D

smiths
20-09-08, 21:44
yeah thank you very much:)

kenboon
20-09-08, 22:09
I can honestly say knowing and recognising the nasty symptoms that its helped me alot and made me realise i dont have something more sinister. Although lets face it this is very scary sinister in its own way. Try and do a little bit of exercise and a couple of of odd jobs, it will help no end although you may find it hard at first. Just take small steps each day, dont push yourself to much but the same time push yourself a little more each day.
I'm not 100% yet, i'm still fairly anxious at times, but i'm no where near as bad as i was a few weeks back. And i can honestly say i'm getting better on a daily basis and thats without meds too. Theres no real secret to getting over it, but you will have to fight it and try as hard as it is, not to think to deeply about it.

This was my first post on the forums http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=33580 This was when i was at my lowest and i was certain that i had something other than anxiety wrong with me.

This site will help you no end to understand whats going on and i think one of the biggest hurdles for most on here is acceptance that its anxiety you have and not something else.

All the best

Ken