PDA

View Full Version : Back to Work - AAARGGGGGHHHH!!!

vti2007
21-09-08, 14:51
Hello everyone,

I am after some tips from people who have been through this.

I have been off work for six months with an "illness" that turned out to be panic attacks and anxiety. I have been on citalopram for just over a month and propranol for a couple of weeks. I have been doing so much better. Been going out, doing jobs around the house, eating properly and generally feeling 90% back to normal.

This trouble is I am due back to work tomorrow and since thursday I have descended into a state of total panic:weep: I have been a shaking wreck, throwing up again and all the other old symptoms

I went to see the emergency GP on saturday as this has happened on the two previous occasions I have tried to return, although I wasn't on the meds then. The GP prescribed me 10 2mg valium tablets to try and help me through as I explained that I really feel if I can get back to work things will keep improving. I even bought some rescue remedy which just seems to make me feel worse.

I have taken one valium last night which knocked me out and one this morning as a trial run and they seem to just about take the edge of it. I did manage to get out for a walk this morning and forced myself to go into town later on and then made myself clean up the garden and mow the lawns but I still feel awful and I am frightened of what I am going to be like going back into work tomorrow.

Work are being great and I can go in late and only stop as long as I feel comfortable. I am gonna aim for about 3 hours Mon and Tue and then see Occ Health Wednesday to get a proper programme to build my hours back up but even knowing this I don't sem to be able to sort my head out!!

Has anyone been through this and have you got any tips to help me out please?

titchjd
21-09-08, 15:37
Hi m8 ..Ive just returned 2 work last Thursday ......I am doing rehab hours aswell 2 hour days 1st week 3 hour next etc.....

It is hard m8 Im not going 2 say it was easy but once you get back there it is a step forward and I just tell my self it will pass when I get anxious ....and it does pass I just deep breathe and think Im ok .

I work in a large supermarket and the strangest thing I had 2 get used 2 was the noise ..I hadnt thought about it and was quite overpowering at 1st but by saturday I was getting used 2 it .

Where do you work ?

I was actually ment 2 go bak on the wednesday but I just couldnt do it but pushed myself and went in on Thursday .

I hope it goes well and you will get used 2 it but dont push 2 hard ..take it easy do part days and take it at your own pace x

Titchjd x

vti2007
21-09-08, 16:07
Thanks for that Titch,

I work in heavy engineering environment so I will only be doing very simple stuff until the 4 days of Valium is well and truly out out of my system!!

I hadn't thought about the noise, It can be incredibly noisy at work and I went to the shopping centre last week and the noise did bother me but I will just put my ear defenders on and hopefully that will block it out!

They did actually say to me if I couldn't do it on monday then don't worry, try again tuesday but I really want to get in I am gonna feel like I have really let myself down if I don't go in. Of all the things that have been making me anxious I think that returning to work is the biggest and I think if I can get over that it wont be too long before I get back to 100% me again.

It is so silly as I do and always have LOVED my job. I have wanted to do it since I was a child and there truly is nothing else I would want to do. I have no problems with anyone at work either but it seems such a big hurdle at the moment :weep:

How long were you off for Titch?

orangeblossom
21-09-08, 18:19
Hi, well done for staying so positive and loving your job is a huge help too!

I wondered if you have anywhere to go - a room, outside or something - if you do panic whilst at work? I know it helps me to know I can always get out of a particular environment to a 'safe' place...

Also, I sometimes wear a little elastic band around my wrist which I 'snap' when I am starting to panic to bring me back into the present and stop the anxiety before it runs away with itself!

Not sure if these have helped, but hope they have a little.
O.

vti2007
21-09-08, 18:25
O,

Any tips are a help. I am feeling a bit calmer at the mo, Just hope it holds till the morning!!

I can quite easily get outside whenever I want really and I will try the band thing as well.

Thanks

titchjd
21-09-08, 18:35
Hiya ....
Im glad you will be able 2 take things slowly and if you love your job then thats a big big help , I was off nearly 3 months ..I was of in dec aswell for about 6 weeks but i think I went back 2 quick .

just take it easy and if u get anxious just think it will pass and take some deep breathes .

I wish u all the best
titchjd

Graz
21-09-08, 20:19
Remember if it starts feeling too much, just head outside. Knowing that I have that security has always helped me feel better at work.

I wish you all the best :)

pooh
21-09-08, 20:41
Hi there

I'm not that long home from work....AAAAAAARRRRRGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!

LOL

But seriously.......

take yer time take yer diazepam and you are gonna be absolutely fine. Anxiety will come and go it always does and the recent fantastic steps forward will propel you and give you confidence to carry on. I like to think of work as my saving grace.. its distraction, it's consistent, and since i know what I'm doing no need to get anxious

Take it easy one step at a time and soon world domination will be yours lol

let us know how you get on

Pooh xx

vti2007
22-09-08, 04:18
Thanks everyone

Its 4am and I can't get back to sleep!! Trying not to work my self up too much tho!

Only got to get through a couple of hours so it can't be that bad :ohmy:

I will let you all know how I got on later :)

titchjd
22-09-08, 07:41
Good Luck 2 day :yesyes:
let us know how it goes

Titchjd

kenboon
22-09-08, 07:57
Good luck :) i'm sure you will be fine.

vti2007
22-09-08, 12:25
Hello Everyone,

Just to let you all know I MADE IT IN AND I SURVIVED :yesyes:

I felt awful going in and thought I was going to be sick but got in and everyone was really pleased to see me!! Told me I should have bought the cakes/doughnuts in with me though!!

Funny thing was I never realised but several people have sufferer from or are still suffering from the same problems as me and they were incredibly understanding.

It was so good to find out that other people at work know what you are going through and are willing to offer their advice or just an ear if you are feeling bad.

I only managed 3 hours and had a few dizzy moments but they passed and I feel like I have crossed that uncrossable bridge. I am sure there will still be hard days but the first step has been made and I am so happy!!! Feel completely drained now tho!!

Bunnie I am sure they won't sack you - are there not laws to prevent that sort of thing - please let us know how it went and good luck.

I will let you all know how tommorow goes and thanks so much for all your support

vti2007
22-09-08, 13:59
Glad it went well Bunnie,

I have been on the citalopram a week or so longer then you and it has been really helping me but if you are like me it still seems to let you down when you really need it!!

Just try and use your energy on getting better rather then worrying about getting back to work.

Can highly recommend asking your doc for a couple of days supply of valium for when you do go back. I wouldn't want to take then for any longer than a few days but they have been a lifesaver just to get me back through the door!! Even if you don't use them you at least know they are in your pocket if it all gets too much!! Seems to be a trade off with them tho. They have relaxed me but give me a stinking headache instead :)

vti2007
22-09-08, 17:29
Hi Bunnie,

I am on 20mg but the doc I saw at the weekend to get the valium said she thinks I could do with upping the dose a bit so I am going to see my GP later this week to discuss it cos I think she could be right. Perhaps try it out on 30mg. I just a bit worried about changing dose 'cos I really had a really bad couple of weeks with side effects when I started these, i could really do without going through that again :ohmy:

Sounds like you have good reason to be scared of the valium - that's scary.

pooh
23-09-08, 01:49
Hi glad to hear that the job went well today. Better take the cakes tomoz lol

POoh xx

vti2007
23-09-08, 12:23
Just got back from Day 2. It was much easier today although I had had more than enough after 3 hours.

Got the Occ Health appointment tomorrow so I will find out what they are going to suggest to get me back full time. I just hope they don't want to rush it too much. Thats all I need right now!

A big problem I have got at the moment is my uniform is hanging off me due to the amount of weight I have lost :D Trousers keep trying to fall down!! Time to punch another hole in the belt I think!!

titchjd
23-09-08, 12:51
Well done and congratulations m8 :D
so glad you managed it .....it will get easier with time and if you have any setbacks dont worry just think oh well I'll be fine It will pass.

Im in 2moz again and feel anxious but Im doing it and thats what I keep telling myself x

Best wishes Titchjd x