PDA

View Full Version : Relationship Anxiety

Maebe
22-09-08, 01:41
I'm been with my boyfriend for over a year (this is my longest relationship, by far). We've just gotten past the honeymoon stage and I've started getting extreme anxiety. I keep freaking out that he's going to break up with me. He's a great, caring guy and I can actually be myself with him. We've just gotten really comfortable with each other (we practically live together, i'm there everyday and pay my share of the rent). I'm just not used to getting past that infatuation stage and lately,out of nowhere, I'll just get really anxious. I keep thinking he's going to break up with me. It ends up going away but always returns. I can't help it. I just freak out for absolutely no reason. I just wish I could get back to normal and stop getting anxious over the smallest thing. I'm overanalyzing everything (I have a habit of doing this in every aspect of my life).

Malton Seadog
22-09-08, 08:31
I was/am the same.

I've been with my girlfriend for two years, which beats my previous longest relationship of six months by a fair whack!

Once you get to the stage where you're so familiar with each other, you do start to be slightly less obviously affectionate towards each other - which is completely normal in my opinion. You're so used to being with each other that you don't see any need to be all over each other every time you're together, so your anxious thoughts could be because of this.

My main fear is the other way round. I get anxious about me breaking up with her, which I know I'll never do because I love her.

At the end of the day, he loves you if he's been with you for a year, so try not to panic. Talk to him about it, I talk to my girlfriend about my fears and have asked for her support through the difficult times and she's great about it.

pinkpiglet
22-09-08, 09:04
Hi there.

Seadog couldnt have said it any better!

At the begining of a relationship we have an overwhelming feeling of lust for one another. This can at times be extremely intense and once it starts to wear off it can often feel as if things arent going quite as well. This is usually where couples either, a) go there seperate ways or b) take their relationship up a gear.
It sounds to me like you and your beau have gone for option B.
You have took the relationship further by more or less living together.
The lust is now gradually been replaced by love (which at times feels weaker than lust!)
It's natural that you are getting these feelings, just don't let it them get in the way of what is really going on in the relationship.

There are no guarantee's in any relationship but you two sound as if you are getting along nicely, so enjoy what you've got!

:yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes:

p!atdx
22-09-08, 20:56
My gf has lately been becoming really good friends with someone else and although she assures me theyre just friends etc. She knows all about my anxiety and i just think she is gonna end up leaving me for someone who is less hard work. I really think shes just gonna end up falling for them and im gonna end up heartbroken and its really getting to me.

Maebe
23-09-08, 02:25
Thanks so much for the replies everyone. It's nice to know there are other people out there who are going through or have gone through the same thing.