PDA

View Full Version : Anxious when it gets dark but not SAD.

Malton Seadog
22-09-08, 16:52
I mentioned this to my CBT counsellor, and she said it's not SAD, but I've started getting more anxious when it gets dark.

Yesterday and today I've been fine during the day, but when night falls I start getting a little on edge and a tad more anxious.

Is this due to me being afraid of the dark, and the anxiety just heightening the senses?

Dazza
22-09-08, 17:57
Interesting -were you scared of the dark as a child?

I kinda have that too. I often avoid going out in the evenings (I miss out on a lot of partys etc) due to my fear of going out in the dark. I feel more vulnerable then.

Chovie25
22-09-08, 18:22
The dark does tend to make me feel more down than normal. I always notice it more when I am feeling sick or when I have had a hard day. It seems like the night gives us more time to think...especially if you live alone. I tend to always want to be around someone because of this. Try to find things that make you relaxed at night. Maybe read a book, play some music etc. Hope your nights get better! :)

mothermac
22-09-08, 18:22
I also do not like nightime really,I feel as though I can cope generally ok during the day but I think it's linked to the fact I don't sleep well during the night.
As Dazza said where you afraid of the dark as a child?sometimes past fears we had in childhood can re-surface when you least expect them, also anxiety and it's associated problems get heightened at night as it's dark and quiet and very different to during the day.Try and make sure you are occupied in early evening and beyond and hopefully the feelings of anxiousness will decrease.

Anxious_gal
22-09-08, 18:42
i think its because we associate night time with bad things! like most horror movies are filmed at night or in a dark room, vampires only come out at night,
i feel safer in the day and i tend to be more anxious at night. i would never walk alone in the dark either. i hate being alone at night,

Natural Mystic
22-09-08, 18:46
I also do not like nightime really,I feel as though I can cope generally ok during the day but I think it's linked to the fact I don't sleep well during the night.
As Dazza said where you afraid of the dark as a child?sometimes past fears we had in childhood can re-surface when you least expect them, also anxiety and it's associated problems get heightened at night as it's dark and quiet and very different to during the day.Try and make sure you are occupied in early evening and beyond and hopefully the feelings of anxiousness will decrease.
I'm exactly the same, I function during the week (at work) but when it comes to evenings I just fall down. I think it's because I live alone with my little boy. Things always seem worse at night