PDA

View Full Version : help from citalopram users please

smiles-2ya
24-05-05, 19:36
HI IM IN DESPERATION, I HAVE BEEN ON CITALOPRAM FOR 6 WEEKS AT 20MG, IM NOT FEELING ANY BETTER I FEEL MORE OR LESS THE SAME, IM CONFUSED HOW TO BEAT THIS ILLNESS, I HAVE POSSIBLY DEPRESSION BUT MY MAIN PROBLEM IS PANIC ATTACKS THAT OVERLOOP FOR ABOUT 20 MINS, I FEEL THEIR NO POINT GOING ON SOMETIMES AND HAVE SUICIDAL THOUGHTS. MY COUNCELLOR HAS SACKED ME AS IM CONTROLING ANG MANIPLATING THE SESSIONS, SO YOUS ARE THE ONLY GUYS AND GALS IVE GOT JUST NOW, I HOW THE TABLETS WILL CURE ME, BUT IM I BETTER ON MEDICATION OR IS EXPOSURE THERAPY A BETTER COURSE OF ACTION, WHAT IS MORE SUCESSFUL FOR ANYONE OUT THERE, PLEASE HELP

nomorepanic
24-05-05, 19:48
Hi and welcome aboard.

I was told to give meds at least 3 months to see some improvement but then they never helped me much with the panic attacks anyway.

What did the counsellor say to make a decision like that?

Exposure therapy is the only REAL way to beat it I am afraid. The meds are there to provide a crutch whilst you get out and do things that will help you long term.

Were you doing CBT with the counsellor?

Good to have you on board anyway so Welcome.

Nicola

seh1980
24-05-05, 20:04
Welcome to the forum. I was on meds and they really helped me but they don't do much for some people. As Nic says, you need to get out there and start doing things. That is the only thing that will really help you in the long run..:D

smiles-2ya
24-05-05, 21:33
HI THANKS FOR THE ADVICE, IM REALLY SCARED TO DO ANYTHING BUT I DO TRY TO GET OUT, IM SCARED TO BE ALONE THIS IS MY BIGGEST PROBLEM. THE COUNCELLOR HAD ME DOING SMALLWALKS AROUND THE STREET AND THEN THE PARK, BUT I TOOK A HUGE ATTACK AND NOW IM BACK TO BEING WITH SOMEONE AND TERRIFIED TO BE ALONE. I CANT DO THE WALKS NOW , AND IM JUST GETTING TIRED, IM SCARED TO BE IN THE HOUSE, THEN ITS OUTSIDE, THEN IM SCARED AT NIGHT, AND IM WITH SOMEONE CONSTANT, I NEED TO BE SOMEWHERE BUSY IN CASE I TAKE A PANIC ATTACK I NEED PEOPLE AROUND ME. IM SCARED BECAUSE I FEEL SO DOWN THAT WHEN THE PANIC ATTACK ARISES ILL JUST THINK WHATS THE POINT AND KILL MYSELF. I DONT SEE ANY WAY FORWARD, AND IM REALLY STRUGGLING TO FIGHT THE DAYS SOMETIMES. THANK YOU BOTH FOR YOUR ADVICE,

Meg
24-05-05, 21:55
Hi,

Please do not give up yet. I'm sure there are additional ways we can help you.

Meds may be helpful for some but I was house bound and had to be with someone and am now recovered and did it without meds..

Its not easy but it is doable

Start here: First Steps to overcoming Panic and Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=942)

See how Max progressed: Maxine's cbt progress. (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2308)

Have a read of the successes catagory for some inspiration..

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Karen
24-05-05, 22:25
Hi

Welcome to the forum.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

sal
24-05-05, 22:47
Hi Smiles

Welcome to the forum and i hope we can help you through this. There is always a point to going on hun and the meds you are on i am taking and it took me a second try to trust them as when i first tried them i felt just like you are describing. But when offered again i swore i would not let myself go through that again, but was unsure of another aption as had tried so many and with guidance and a great gp i got over the side affects and they have changed me dramatically.

I am not cured, but compared to how i was not wanting to go our the house, not wanting to see my daughter, i am a different person.

Persevere as you have come so far and see how it goes.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

smiles-2ya
26-05-05, 18:49
hi thanks for your advice, ive been like this for two years and im tired of it

LisaD
27-05-05, 01:59
hi!

just wanted to let you know that I am on citalopram (celexa)...my psychiatrist upped my dose to 30 mg at 6 weeks because I wanted responding...by 8 weeks I was noticing an improvement...and now at 3 months my anxiety is almost completely gone!!! (but took until 10 weeks or so to see a substantial improvement). So I'd say stick it out, may need to talk to your GP about going to 30 mg...but also need to do work yourself on overcoming your fears. Hard I know, but made easier by the meds...just be patient!!!

xxxLisa

sal
27-05-05, 09:20
Hi Hun

Give it time and see how it goes. Thinking of you.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.