PDA

View Full Version : librium

leeg
23-09-08, 12:26
has anyone took librium i have been prescribed it but never took it yet spoke to someone who said it would turn me in to a zombie and im teerified any advice would be greatly appreciated:shrug: xx

Pudding
23-09-08, 16:26
Hi Leeg
I always thought Librium was for manic behaviour and deep depression. Seems a bit of a heavy drug to be giving for anxiety. I may be wrong but if you're not happy I would go back and see your doctor or another one and ask for a second opinion.
Love pudding

leeg
23-09-08, 16:29
ooh i dont like the sound of that at all ive never took it yet i dont see any posts on here about it thanks very much im grateful for your input

Cathy V
23-09-08, 16:40
Hi leeg. Librium is just another benzo (benzodiazapines are tranquilzers) and is used to treat anxiety. Its in the same group of drugs as ativan and they are the older drugs, and its prob because there are more drugs for the docs to choose from these days as to why you dont hear about them so much. I wouldnt say it was any more 'heavy' than any other benzo, i think its the dose that matters and how you long you take it for as they can be addictive if taken for a very long time, but in the short term i dont think they are any worse than any other. And as with all meds, side effects are different for everyone.

Cathy xxx

Cathy V
23-09-08, 16:46
Pudding, i think you were thinking about Lithium. This is given for manic depression with manic behaviour...:) xxx

decca
23-09-08, 22:02
Hi folks,
Yea it's a Benzo derivitive and forerunner of Valium (Diazepam) with about 2.5 times the strength of Valium (Diazepam) and about half the half life.

Decca.

leeg
26-09-08, 08:08
thanks for the input though i still havent managed to swallow any yet i live in hope:blush:

Alabasterlyn
27-09-08, 11:18
I've taken Librium since about 1980 :scared15:

It's a benzo as others have said and is nothing to do with manic depression and it certainly doesn't make you feel like a zombie.

It is an older benzo and I didn't realise they still prescbribed it for new patients. If you compare the doseage of Librium to Valium, from what I have read, 10mgs of Valium is the same as 25mgs of Librium.

decca
27-09-08, 18:57
I think there's some confusion here between Manic depression ( Bipolar disorder) and periods of mania.Diazepam is often given to calm periods of mania.

Decca