PDA

View Full Version : finding it hard to believe this is only ibs

countrygirl
23-09-08, 22:43
18 months ago I started to get severe feelings of pressure above my tummy button but no pain and have to rush to loo and it would start during night and keep me awake. I had sigmoidoscopy and stool tests and bloods and ultrasounds and all normal. Told it was ibs. 6 months later I found every morning when I woke up which is when my bowel becomes active I got stabbing pains in lower back and left side of abdomen that went away after bowel movement. this I have had every morning for past year! Then I got stabbing pains in my abdomen and at second visit to a&e they decided even though nothing pointed to it - to be sure and take my appendix out and do exploratory op. Nothing wrong and surgeon cheched everything I possess in there!! Also had ultrasounds - even had one of my aortic artery. Before this I had had all my womens bits checked with ultrasound and hysteroscopy and D&c and bloods including ovarian cancer test all normal!
The surgeon who did my appendix op said my small bowel was normal no signs of inflammatory bowel disease or anything else. He even had a good look at my gallbladder ets and although I have had small gallstones for many years and they don't bother me if I eat right he said all was so healthy he didn't consider taking my gallbladder out.
The last test he had done which he said was just to confirm that my large bowel was okay inside as well as outside that he had looked at was a colonscopy that I had a couple of months ago and again all completely normal.

But I am still waking early every morning with excruitiating lower back and left sided abdominal pain that gets better when I pass wind or have a bowel motion. The rest of day I have stabbing pains just above and around navel and again these go away for a bit after I pass wind or have a bowel movement.

I have tried all ibs meds and no help.

I see surgeon again next week for follow up.

My GP says that the pain is not being caused by anthing serious its just my bowel not functioning smoothly but thats no help when I am in pain most of the day!!

any suggestions for when I see the surgeon again.

seeker
23-09-08, 23:00
Pain that passes with passing of a motion (ie poo) is a classic of IBS. The area you suffer pain in is also a classic place for it to occur, as the colon bends round at that spot, so gas often collects there, causing pain., Hope this is of some reassurance! With all the tests and internal exams, you should feel pretty reassured! Have you tried windeze or any medication to break wind into smaller bubbles? I find these really help.
Seeker