PDA

View Full Version : hairdressers

thoughts and actions
24-09-08, 09:19
hi guys

i HAVE to go to the hairdressers today- last time i went was 3 months ago so really am in need of some scissor action.

My problem is i hate the hairdressers- even worse than the dentist- this is due to a bad experiecen when i was a kid.

Does anyone have any tips/ hints i could maybe try today.

xx :blush:

diane07
24-09-08, 09:27
Aww hun,

try to concentrate on how fab you are going to look when your hair is done, read loads of mags when you are there, me personally i concentrate on what i'm going to wear when i'm finished and how i'm going to wear my make up.

Keep telling yourself its nothing bad and its a treat

best wishes

di xx

pinkpiglet
24-09-08, 09:44
I used to love my, six weekly visits to the hairdressers. I always had well tended locks and kept up with my low-lights. Then i had bit of a panic attack in the hairdressers one day and now i avoid it like the plague. My last chop was in February (oh the shame of it!) and i am absolutely desperate for a good scissoring. I bumped into my hairdresser in town the other week and the sheer sight of her alone left me a bumbling wreck. I bet she thought I was mad (with mad hair to match!). So obviously, i cannot offer you any encouragement, although i would love to. My mum is even treating me to exclusive £200 massage day next month to celebrate me been a mummy for two years and i'm dreading it!!! Why do we dread things that are good for us?
Good luck with the hairdressers hun, let me know how it goes x

diane07
24-09-08, 09:49
pink,

I had the same thing happen to me so what i did is i told my hairdresser that i suffer with panic attacks, and guess what..........so did she. However now for convenience sake, i have a mobile. You ought to try it, it makes it easier when they are in your house.

lou77
24-09-08, 11:42
i had the same hairdresser for years and she recently moved so i had to find a new hairdresser and was dreading having a panic attack in the salon,so i spoke to the hairdresser about this and without going into too much detail just explained that i tend to panic in new situations,she was very sympathetic and knew someone who suffered from this as well,as a result i managed my trip to the hairdressers,i was booked in at a quiet time of the day and she kept me talking the whole time about anything and everything,she now knows more about my life than most! Whilst i wouldnt tell everyone new i meet about my panic attacks i felt in this situation i had to,im due for a trim soon and hope i can manage this next visit as succesfully as the first. I think you'd be surprised how many people can relate or be sympathetic to this.

thoughts and actions
24-09-08, 13:13
thanks so much guys for all u support!!

my appoints not till 2, u wanna see the size of the handbag am taking :roflmao: , i have books, mags, sudokos, i pod, wee note pad with cbt stuff in it.

Hilarious!! so if i or anyone within a 5 mile radius of the hairdressers takes not well i have my bag of tricks.

just hope they dont get hair die on it- i contemplated doing a diy job but no am going to do this- ive done it before, i can do it again!!

luv to u all

xx

freakedout
24-09-08, 13:37
Hello everyone,

I have to say, this post has had me laughing my head off. Is it the hairdressers/haircut/colour etc that you are worried about or the situation?

I am overdue a haircut. The last time I went I had a new stylist, before that I was able to go first thing on a Thursday morning with only the owner and myself in the salon. Well she is doing well and has taken more staff on, which is not a good thing for me.

So, the last time I went, having done well to work myself up from dry cuts, to cut and blows, then the full works; colour, I was feeling fairly confidant and agreed to the new stylist doing my hair. OMG it was awful. I was sat in the seat furthest away from the door, which made me flap, and there was a customer beside me, and a customer behind me'ish. I had the streaking cap on my head and was sitting there totally freaked out, panicking. I wanted to run out of the salon but new I would look a total idiot running out with the streaking cap on my head. I flicked through some mags at a hundred miles per hour not even noticing what I was looking at. It was dreadful, then after the colour came the cut and she took so long, I had my horrible reflection to deal with then too. By the time it got to the blowdry I thought my ordeal was nearly over but she took so long I thought time had stood still.

I died a thousand times over, a horrible horrible experience. I was so relieved to get out of the salon and swore I wouldnt go again, but I have an appointment tomorrow for a trim, with my original stylist. Hopefully I will be in the seat nearest the door and I am not having a colour. I might even just go back to the dry cut if I am feeling anxious.

It would be good to know how you get on thoughts and actions, and please keep that big bag on standby for me, I could do with an emergency back up plan. An eject button on the chair would suit me fine, in case I need to make a sharp exit!

Freaky

steveo
24-09-08, 16:03
Whilst I absolutly love going to the hairdressers, I feel uncomfortable sitting in that chair for long periods of time. I dont like the feeling of not being able to get up and out if needs be. I have just started uni and I feel sweaty and shaky when I sit in a lecture hall with 180 other student nurses (probably because they are all pretty ladies lol). What you are feeling is perfectly normal. Let us know how it went? Send us a pic too!!

emma1980
24-09-08, 16:42
Good luck with your appointment :-)

Mine desperately needs a trim too but I can't bring myself to go yet - though maybe as my boyfriend keeps calling me "Hagrid" I should probably be brave and go soon!

freakedout
24-09-08, 22:24
emma,

Oh that was so funny, Hagrid!! I hope you can pluck up the courage to go soon! No offence of course, it has just tickled me that, I keep laughing to myself!

Freaky

lou77
24-09-08, 22:39
Whilst I absolutly love going to the hairdressers, I feel uncomfortable sitting in that chair for long periods of time. I dont like the feeling of not being able to get up and out if needs be. I have just started uni and I feel sweaty and shaky when I sit in a lecture hall with 180 other student nurses (probably because they are all pretty ladies lol). What you are feeling is perfectly normal. Let us know how it went? Send us a pic too!!

steveo i can totally relate,in my third yr at uni,first day back,sitting with the same class i have for two yrs now and lasted half an hour before i had to walk out,im so angry at myself for letting it get to me,but second day tomoro and i will survive the whole day,i can do it!
Thoughts and actions how did it go??:yesyes:

diane07
25-09-08, 13:41
Well we all know how to spot us agoraphobics, we've all got wild overgrown hair, put us in a room together and we'll look like the hairbear bunch lol.

How did the hairdressers go?

di xx

thoughts and actions
25-09-08, 15:12
hi guys

I never thought my post yesterday would create such humour hehe, well let me tell u how i got on......

My phobia about the hairdressers stems from my friend deciding to die my hair blonde a few years ago- she took the foils off and it was awful- a kind of greeny/ginger/ blonde colour- and she cut it all wonky- to this day i wonder what on earth i did to her. It took years to grow again, So i have a fear that my hair will be a mess so i have to sit for 2 hours before i know or not :( Let me tell u bout it..........

1. About 13.30 to 13.50 i did breathing excercises, was fine- the hairdressers is a walk away from my house so left at 13.50
2. 13.56 saw sight of the hairdressers, thought i was going to vomit- my legs went to jelly and my handbag felt suddenly really really really heavy.
3. 14.00 arrived in hairdressers, sat in seat, felt okay- not as bad as last time- girl asked me what i wanted done and i must have repeated myself about 10 times, then i changed my mind.
3. 14.30 - foils r on head, i am sweating buckets my vision is blurry coz i have hair hanging over my face and its tickling me. Notice i am not as fidigty as last time and i havent panicked yet- felt anxious but no panic.
4. 15.15- foils r still on, this woman has come in and my stylist is doing her hair - i start thinkin am going be here for ages
5. My panic/anxiety started as a result of a relationship (wont go into it but i am no longer with him) at 15.16 my ex walks into the salon- i swear to god he did, i nearly died i hid behind a magazine (bearing in mind my head is covered in foil so u wouldnt notice me) He was making an appointment to get his hair done- in a womans salon?????????? i always wondred bout him
6. 15.25 girl comes over to wash my hair- my bum has gone to sleep and i suddenly fear am going to loose control of bodily functions- make a kinda squeeking noise and announce oh my bums gone to sleep. I proceed to rub it and walk to basins
7. Hair washed and stylist comes back and cuts and blow dries it- my face is bright red with the heat.
8.16.00 a whole 2 hours and its finished and i must say my hair is lovely, really plzd with it and the colour is great.

As worried as i was yesterday i did feel anxious but i didnt have panic as i managed to control it- it made me kinda proud coz i realise how far i have come since july- lets just hope next time i go (xmas 2012) that i am panic free hehe

xox

diane07
25-09-08, 16:36
oh no the ex walked in.................

A huge well done to you for getting through it all, especially when the ex turned up, wonder what he's having done!!!!

I bet you feel good, not only did you not panic but you had your hair done, double bonus.

di xx

lou77
26-09-08, 10:33
well done you!! you should be so proud of yourself for managing to get thru it!
:bighug1: