PDA

View Full Version : does anyone else...........

Sal x
24-09-08, 22:01
Hi everyone,

not posted for a while as been really trying to sort my health anxiety out on my own without having to rely on others....

Does anyone else get this? When I worry, my imagination goes into overdrive and, say for example this one day i'm convinced that i am dying, my mind spirals out of control and before i know it, i am imagining my own funeral, picturing me in a coffin, thinking that I am going to leave my husband and little boy without a wife/mummy and then thinking about my husband remarrying and my little boy having a new mummy ........and so on.

I was analized as a child and was told that I have an overactive imagimation which is the stem of my anxiety. does anyone else suffer from spirraling thoughts?

(just read this back and i know i sound slighlty insane, but would appreciate some advice please)

ta
sal
xxxx:weep:

bottleblond
24-09-08, 22:07
In a word- YES- been there and done that so often hun and i know many others with HA do the same! I even chose the songs i want played but i ain't died yet and i hope i'm here for a tad longer!

Love and hugs
Lisa
xxxxxxxxx

Janieb
24-09-08, 23:04
Heck I even know the songs they sing at my funeral, however it does keep changing now and again to what ever is popular! LOL like sometimes I can actually visualise me lying in a hospital bed dying. It scares me, why can't I get this visual imagining a lottery win!!

You got to be strong. My little boy keeps me going when I start to have these images in my head I think of him and keep a picture of him near me as often as possible to remind myself what ever is the problem I am going to fight my backside off to be by his side for as long as phycialy possible!

Its amazing energy when channeled correctly! but I am thinking it is normal for people in our position.

Fingers crossed it improves.

goth
24-09-08, 23:45
i salx i no hat you mean i get this hen my daughter went on holiday for the first time to spain i kept thinking if anything happens while she was on the plane how would she be feeling and then i put myself in her situation and think about the plane going down and being told the worst. also i think about if i die how would she feel will she feel like i did when my mum passed away and i cant bear the thought of her having to feel like that it really affects me and i cry about it a lot of the time. i hope this lets you no your not alone with your thoughts lots of love goth take care x

jill
25-09-08, 12:33
Hi Sal :D:hugs:

Firstly, WELL DONE for trying to deal with your problem on your own. I know how dame hard this is, so your should feel soooo proud of yourself :hugs:

There is no harm AT ALL, is asking for help from time to time, after all, that is what this site is all about.

I came to understand when I was acute, that my problem was like yours, I feel, that this way of thinking was one of many things that brought me to panic and high levels of anx, having an over acitve imagination, now thats all good, BUT, only if you imagin the good things in life, BUT, when you suffer anxiety, it is DAME HARD reaching in and changing a habbit of a lifetime, changing your over active imagintation, for the good, to imagin good things in life.

I looked at myself and said, Mmm, there are people who do self harm, NOW, you may think straight away of cutting or hurting themselves with an object or puching a wall, BUT, FOR ME, I came to understand that MY WAY of thinking, (these negative thoughts, playing them over in my head, imagining, I died or I had a terrible illness and what poeple would do for me if I had that illness) WELL, this was ME harming myself, WITH my thoughts. Mmmm, well this is how I seen MYSELF. Blimey, I thought, DO something about it, its NOT good for me. I AM NOT hurting anyone else, BUT, myself.

I have been working dame hard on this, but there is still times when my mind drifts and I start to imagin horrible things, it is NOT easy when a thought comes into play, BUT, I try DAME HARD NOT to fuel it, tell myself its OK, BUT, try dame hard to distract myself, with something else.

I know for me, I thought I would try and do this on my own, I did have positive pathways forward if I could not do this alone, thearapy CBT. I feel for me its working, but as I said, I am changing a habbit of a liftime hear, so I never expect it to go right away over night, for me, my progress is good. BUT, is IS DAME HARD WORK.

I do hope I have helped a little, even if its just knowing you are not alone, YOU CAN fix this, but with alot of hard work and the right support.

YOU TAKE CARE

LOVE JILLXXX

Laylag
25-09-08, 13:20
Hi hun,
I have these thoughts all the time.I have 4 kids and am absolutely petrified all the time about what could happen.Its like your mind takes over and you cant stop,theyre terrible.You have my upmost sympathy.HUGS.

Sal x
26-09-08, 16:06
Thanks everyone for your replies...................they really help and mean alot
xxxx

mummyto4
26-09-08, 16:22
yep me too. It seemed to get worse for me after the birth of my last baby last year. Its a horrible thought to be having.
xx

Dazza
26-09-08, 16:52
Yes - I've often imagined my own death and funeral over the past few months, and about leaving my boyfriend behind, and not being able to see my friend's kids grow up etc...

I've even made plans in my head for my own funeral, even down to the music (at this point I laughed when I was planning it, as I thought that 'Dancing Queen' by Abba would be a great way to make everyone to laugh as they watch me dissappear behind to curtian before I am cremated!) :roflmao:

I think it's normal to have such thoughts when we are so anxious... after all, anxiety is a hightened awareness of danger.

My spiralling thoughts seems to be less frequent recently, since I got reassurance from some of the tests I have had in hospital.

so no, you are not alone in this one!

PS: I also have a very strong imagination, to the point where I have a thing called 'synesthesia' (where your senses cross over...for example, I can 'see' sounds and music as shapes and colour / textures). There are very strong links between mental illness and creativity / imagination. Being imaginative like us can be great in many lovely ways, but also, it can cause us problems.

beachbunny85
29-09-08, 11:27
i am obsessed with death at the minute...i really dont know where the thoughts have come from. I am only 23 but cant get my head around the fact that i will die one day, and all the people i love will die also. i feel like i couldnt cope if anything bad happened because of my anxiety. I feel like i dont want to get any older because i will worry that i am closer to death. Its really weird, i havent spoke to anyone about it