PDA

View Full Version : night fears.

lapwing
25-09-08, 11:26
I've been a member of this forum for a while now, but unless I've missed the posts nobody has ever described feeling the way I do.

For the past couple of years I have had a fear of harming people I love, but just lately I am terrified I will do something awful like that in my sleep. I can control my actions in the daytime, but what about when I sleep?

Am I the only one who is terrified of what they do in their sleep? I've heard of people sleep-walking, and eating while asleep and waking up and having no knowledge of it at all, so what about harming others while sleeping?

This is such a worry, and it lives with me for a lot of the time.

Natural Mystic
25-09-08, 12:26
I've been a member of this forum for a while now, but unless I've missed the posts nobody has ever described feeling the way I do.

For the past couple of years I have had a fear of harming people I love, but just lately I am terrified I will do something awful like that in my sleep. I can control my actions in the daytime, but what about when I sleep?

Am I the only one who is terrified of what they do in their sleep? I've heard of people sleep-walking, and eating while asleep and waking up and having no knowledge of it at all, so what about harming others while sleeping?

This is such a worry, and it lives with me for a lot of the time.
I do not know a lot about this but from what I've read and seen (documentaries etc.) if you were to do anything like that you probably would have .. you'd know about it.

You say that you have feelings of hurting others whilst awake though so really, Go back to your doctors hon and request to see someone who knows more about this.

you are really brave for admitting this and it tells me that you don't want to hurt anyone and that you are willing to do anything not to do so.

Wishing you well

KaylaMarie
25-09-08, 13:51
I have felt this way in a sense...about sleep walking and doing something bad.
Though I didnt think I was going to harm my family, I thought I was going to sleepwalk and kill myself.

For about a month straight, I would kide the knives at night and set traps for myself, like by putting the footstool at the bottom on my stairs so I would fall over it...
I went so far as to tie my arm to the bed once, in total fear of sleepwalking and killing myself.

But as you can tell, I never did harm myself.

I know it is terrifying to think you could do such thigns, but I believe these are just bad thoughts.....scrounged up by our imiginations and anxiety to scare the crap out of us.

Do you speak to a therepist about these things? I would assume that they would know how you could better cope.
Best wishes!
-hugs-

Dazza
25-09-08, 16:38
Hi Lapwing,

Do you think that this could be helped maybe by CBT or hypnotherapy? Or maybe you have tried them already?

Hope you manage to work through it.

milly jones
25-09-08, 19:52
welcome to no more panic

its a wonderful place to share our anxiety

there are ppl on nmp who have unwanted thoughts hun, promise

love milly xx :hugs:

pooh
25-09-08, 20:21
Hi there and welcome along to NMP

Pooh x