PDA

View Full Version : doctor starting me on Sertaline

50cent84
25-09-08, 11:27
Hi everyone..

I have been sufferin now with Agoraphobia for say 3 years. I have always said i would never go on meds but i have had enough of missing out on life as im 24. Doctor as put me on Sertaline hydrochloride. I have read articles on here and good and bad. I understand everyone is differant and side effects effect people in differant ways. Im just so scared of it making me wose as i have to work.:scared15:

I just wondered if anyone could tell me what they know about this med whether it be good or bad. Many thanks and take care :D

Laylag
25-09-08, 13:25
Hi,
I have been on Sertraline for 10 days,have major health anxiety.Since starting these I have felt so ill its unreal,horrendous nausea,achy limbs and its worrying more than before I started taking them.Going back to GP next week to try something else.

50cent84
25-09-08, 17:45
sorry to hear that laylag must be terrible. this is why im scared of taking it. thenyou got to come off them once your on. but im so frustrated with my life.

what are you taking it for??

JasonB
27-09-08, 12:25
Just take it and see what it does for you. Everyone is different, thats why there are many different types of meds.

Like I say to everyone, it could be just the thing that gets your life back on track. Do you really want to miss out on it?

If it makes things worse, then you can always stop. And you just phone into work and tell them what has happened.

With nearly all of the Meds out there, the Doctor warns that there maybe a few side effects to begin with.

This is because your body has to adapt to a new chemical in its system. This can take a few days or a few weeks. But it will balance itself out.

Stay positive and give it a chance.

bab
27-09-08, 14:35
Hi there

Just to reasssure you kind of anyway - I have been on meds for 12 yrs and its trial and error till you find the right one BUT... the side effects can be horrific in the beginning. BUT... they do go away they are not permanent and it shows the meds are going onto your system - As Jason says you can always stop them but Laylag I would persevere for at lease 2-3 more weeks and 50cent I would start the meds and persevere for a few weeks - just from experience you need to give it time - keeo busy when you get the side effects and hopefully they will go - you wont even realise the side effects have gone you will just all of a sudden realise you are doing more things

with love

mandie
27-09-08, 23:17
Hi

I started these meds about 3 months ago. I was petrified of starting them as i had been on different meds and knew i could get side effects.

However, its the best thing i did. I did feel slightly more panicky and anxious for the first few days, but then it wore off and now i feel so much better than i was

love mandie x

50cent84
29-09-08, 00:07
Thanks everyboy for your replies it eans the world to me. il pick them up tommorow and start taking them i wil keep you posted. fingers crossed :-)

mandie
29-09-08, 01:19
good luck

mandie x

Laylag
01-10-08, 10:32
Hi,
I perservered on the Sertraline, have been on them for just over 2 weeks now and Im glad I did,the side effects have died down a little,still a bit nauseous but dont seem half as anxious as I was.I am taking them for Health Anxiety.

50cent84
01-10-08, 21:20
oh thats great. well i still not taken them yet i keep makin excuse. im soo cred :-(....

50cent84
01-10-08, 21:27
sorry that last word is..scared

Mazza12
02-10-08, 12:26
Hi There!
I've also just started on Sertaline.
I've been taking them for 17 days, I swapped from Citalopram as they made me worse.
But on these I've noticed that the panic attacks our not as full on, if you know what I mean!!!
Yeah starting any new medication things seem as though your getting worse, but you just need to give them chance and let them get into your system.
I've also cut out caffeine which as also helped especially with the palpitations, I don't know if this will help you!
Anyway feel free to get in touch if you want someone to talk to.
All the best, Marie.

franklin2003
02-10-08, 18:45
I've been on Zoloft for a few months now, I had very few if any side effects when starting, anything would have been better than the anxiety i was experieicing. Best decision, along with acceptance, that I have ever done in my life. Period. Dont' let other's horror stories scare you, doctors have seen many people and they know your condition all too well sadly, but listen to them take a leap of faith.

Catya
13-10-08, 19:23
Please could anyone give me an update re taking sertraline?
I've taken my first one tonight in absolute desperation.
I hope I've made the right decision, but I could go on no longer having resisted taking anti-depressants for the last 2 years.
Prior to that I was on medication for 17 years.
Going back on feels such a failure, but as I said I felt I was coming close to the edge.
Please, any positive experiences.... and hopefully not so much weight gain as on Seroxat????...the demon of all drugs (in my opinion...)
Thank you.

mandie
14-10-08, 00:17
Hi

Iv been on sertaline for nearly 4 months

i was so scared to take them, but in the end i just coudlnt carry on with the panic attacks

i was on citalopram but they were making me worse, so after having the prescripton for 2 weeks, i took them

the first week i had increased anxiety and panic,but then it settled down.

i feel so much better than i did few months ago,
love mandie x

Catya
14-10-08, 11:11
Thank you Mandie.
How long did it take for some respite from the depression? I know Seroxat took about 10 days to kick in.
Have you found any drastic change in your appetite or weight?
Thanks for any info.

mandie
14-10-08, 14:07
Hi

To be honest, i still have slight depression. i do have alot going on though.

I have found slight increase in my appetite as well

love mandie x

puresugar
20-10-08, 12:38
Hi thanks for the message 50 cent 84.
Yes i am still taking my meds in fact i have been taking 2 a day for the last few days as i have a dentist appointment tomorrow arhhh not looking forward to that so doc told me to double meds.
My meds have really helped side effects were not nice to begin with but soooooo worth it before i wouldnt take pain killers hated pills full stop .
As for going to dentist it would not have happened i had a bad panic attack just filling in a form few years ago not been since until 2 weeks ago went and was asked if i wanted 30 mins nextime or a hour .i said 1hr get things sorted faster then me offering to stay longer wow.had a small pa when i was leaving must have been the bill lol..
i wish you all the best just do what is right for you we are all different ,hence all the different meds out there but i am very pleased i tried these meds .
hope this helps
if you want to chat feel free
love to all
helenx