PDA

View Full Version : stressed

smiths
25-09-08, 12:15
hi all
ive been really stressed this morning sum one i thought was a good friend has upset me so i was crying and getting anxious now i have pains down one side and i im really worried

yorkylover
25-09-08, 13:10
Sorry to hear you have been so stressed,Im sure the pains are to with your anxiety and that you have been crying.Dont let them get to you sweety.
:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

kenboon
25-09-08, 15:17
Hi smiths.
Try not to worry about the pains and tingleing. This is probably one of the most common symptoms of anxiety. And is caused by hyperventerlation or short breaths.

Reading below may help you a little.

Hyperventilation

Hyperventilation means over-breathing which is caused by the sufferer breathing faster then needed. This may be apparent by feeling very short of breath or you may not be aware of it at all.

In this way the body's balance of carbon dioxide and oxygen is disturbed.

Hyperventilation can lead to Panic because you start to breathe quicker and shallowly and this results in you breathing out more carbon dioxide than the body produces, thus keeping the carbon dioxide level in the blood stream too low.

Without enough carbon dioxide to maintain the acid/base balance of the body, the blood becomes too alkaline, a condition known as "blood alkalosis." Alkalosis causes the arteries to constrict, with the result that blood flow is restricted, especially to the brain. Although the blood contains plenty of oxygen, alkalosis also prevents the essential transfer of oxygen from the blood to the brain, muscles, and organs, as has been frequently verified in panic attack victims who have gone to the emergency room. This is known as the "Bohr Effect" and has long been recognized by those who study hyperventilation.

Under these circumstances, the oxygen available to the brain is reduced drastically. At first your vision begins to blur. The typical sufferer reports feeling dizzy, tense, anxious, jittery, and nervous. The sufferer often feels like crying, and feels weak and confused. Starved for oxygen, the sufferer feels as if they are suffocating.

As the condition worsens, the brain gets more confused and sends the wrong messages. One wrong message sent is the need to breathe even more deeply, which worsens the problem.

The heart is pounding by now, increasing (or lowering) blood pressure. Pupils dilate, parts of the face, hands, and feet become cold or numb, the hands tremble, and the sufferer sweats. Chest pain may be present. This is usually related to chest breathing and muscle spasms in the chest wall, but in some cases may be actual heart pain.

Another symptom directly resulting from this is tingling in fingers and toes. A sure sign of hyperventilation. The numbness is a symptom that its hard to get used to – why 3 fingers and not the whole hand or just the right side and not the left etc. This often leads people to self diagnosing strokes and fits whereas this is ‘just’ hyperventilation and extremely easy to correct.

Hyperventilation is not a serious medical condition as the body will automatically readjust when you let it. However, the sensations are extremely unpleasant and frightening. In many cases the sufferer has lost the ability to control their breathing correctly and this can be remedied by re-learning a correct method of breathing , from the abdomen and longer the out breath (count of 11) than the in one (on count of 7) and as slow as you can make it.

8 breaths a minute is adequate for healthy adults at rest.

If you find that you cannot control your breathing then breathe into a paper bag or cup your hands over your mouth and breathe through them – as if it’s really cold out – it does work and only takes a couple of minutes to take effect! Friends and family can help you by counting in and out for you.

Many articles on panic will tell you that although you may feel dizzy you will not faint. That’s mostly true but in reality a very few people who cannot control the hyperventilation may faint which is the body’s way of taking back control so it can redress the o2- co2 balance. The good news is that if you’ve not fainted by the time you read this it’s most very likely that you will not do so. If this is going to happen, it happens on the first panic attack. If you have not fainted to date you will not start to do
so - especially now you know what to do.

All the best

Ken

thoughts and actions
25-09-08, 15:32
hi smiths

sorry to hear that about ure friend.

It would help you if u speak to some1 about it- do u have some1 u could discuss it with- that way it will distract ure mind from the pain and they will be able to give you some advise- there is a chat room on here that will help u as well

xx

Cathy V
25-09-08, 15:35
So smiths, when i keep telling you to take deep breaths...now you know why :D xxxxx

Great post Ken thanks for the info xxx

Davvid
25-09-08, 17:09
Hi Smiths,
It sounds like your pains are due to anxiety and tension which you must surely be feeling right now.
I'm sorry to hear a friend has let you down. Maybe it's good you've found out what this " friend " is really like.
All the best, Dave.

bab
25-09-08, 21:56
Hi there

dont worry about the pain etc - when you have a lot of tension you can get sore and also crying a lot can do this - dont let anyone upset you its not worth it my love