PDA

View Full Version : Some Advice - what do you all think

OldChris
25-09-08, 15:01
I have struggled off and on with anxiety for 7 years - agrophobia and the like - taken the tablets / done the counselling - things are mostly ok most of the time - sleep patterns disturbed and increasingly over the last 6 months weight gain and utter and total exhasution. have crept in.

I know if i go see the doctor - i will get a stronger dose and perhaps more talking - and he will offer to sign me off - but what is reasonable - i have dodged a few things over the 7 years in terms of work - but not missed a day - i would not be "running" but i just don't feel i can cope with the exhaustion without sidelining myself for a while and rebalancing - maybe then to come back with a new energy into a job i can handle more easily - maybe part time till i can do full.

But is that fair (on my employer) - i am coping just - should i knuckle down and live with it - or take a chance and some time out and try to sort myself out

What do you think?

OldChris

littlemoomin
25-09-08, 15:10
Hello troubled one

I think you should be kind to yourself ( you are experienced in dealing with your anxieties as you say you have had it a while).

Not sure what type of job you do, but remember the place won't fall down without you!!! ( well maybe you are an expert in your field and it will :-) )

You have all the time in the world to work, so time out could be great for you.....go somewhere you love and spend time doing things you like?? Time out for you!!!!
:)
My anxiety led me to a massive career change ( which is a big positive out of a negative)

Hope this helps, I am new to the forum

kind thoughts littlemoomin xx

Mudskipper
25-09-08, 15:22
If you're fortunate enough to have an understanding boss, then he'll know it's in your interests and the firms for you to have some time off. Twice in the past five years I've had to take a three week leave of absence to deal with my problem and both times it made the difference between me coming back and being able to do the job again and me having a major breakdown and leaving permanently. Not in my interests or the firms' as I have a lot of useful information and experience which can't easily be passed on.

Go on, have a break. Maybe a Kitkat too...:D

nettles
25-09-08, 20:16
Just about coping doesn't sound like fun - life should be more than that. So take a break from it, let yourself relax and see where that takes you. You'll never know until you try, if you stay in the same routine which obviously isn't doing you and your health much good, you'll never know the alternative, or how well you could feel!

milly jones
25-09-08, 20:20
im off work from a stressful job

its my second time

nothing is worth making u ill for

take time to sort urself before u have to take time

the longer u put up with stuff

the longer it will take to sort

take time hunny

pls i soldiered on for 12 months, and am still ill

milly xxx

OldChris
25-09-08, 20:38
Thanks everyone - i knew it was what i should do - its balancing showing frailty to others (which you can'y undo i guess) and doing what is right for you and dealing with the implications as and when. My employer will be ok - but the worlds perception of me will have changed. I think i have reached the stage where "so be it" is my view on that one and trying to deal with it and carry on as if nothing is happening is not working.

Next problem is how to tell the wife - she is in the pull yourself together camp and that is not bad really - better to have someone who challenges you rather than just saying ok

What is all this with doggy pictures?

oldchris

nettles
25-09-08, 20:49
Good luck with it, I hated telling my husband about my problems, I suddenly felt I wasn't the person he thought I was (or I wanted to be), but it's so much better now I don't have to put up this front of being tough and unafraid (I'm very convincing after years of practice!)
If you don't deal with it now, it could get much worse and out of your control, so best address it sooner rather than later.
Nettles

keepemlaughing
25-09-08, 20:58
I feel like you do. Even if I am doing badly, I go to work because I am afraid of others perception of me. I took three days off a couple years back due to a horrible anxiety/depression hitting me. My boss knew and encouraged me to get myself some rest and insisted I see someone. I did, and now I have a regular psychiatrist who gives me meds and I am doing so much better. Good luck to you. Maybe you just need a much needed vacation. Do you have time saved up for one?